Video of Floyd's death offers clues into ex-Minneapolis officers' possible defense, say legal experts

webfact

46 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

“What is not being told is the violent criminal history of George Floyd. The media will not air this,” police union president Bob Kroll told his members in a letter posted Monday on Twitter.

Floyd had landed five years behind bars in 2009 for an assault and robbery two years earlier, and before that, had been convicted of charges ranging from theft with a firearm to drugs"

https://nypost.com/2020/06/02/george-floyd-had-violent-criminal-history-minneapolis-union-chief/

Considering the guy's criminal history has been previously published by MSM outlets, including the above, it's ridiculous to claim "the media will not air this". Only misinformation for political purposes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

So that's all that matters, huh? It doesn't matter that a drug-addicted, coronavirus-infected ex-con decided to drive around that day and got snagged by the police and then resisted arrest. Fve lives have probably been destroyed, depending on the outcome of the trials of these police officers.

Throw in the killings and injuries of several including law enforcement officers and others and property destruction that has occurred over this under the guise of "peaceful protests" and we have a tragedy that goes far beyond the death of George Floyd. The crimes committed by the mobs and the wanton destruction far exceeds the crimes that may have been committed by these cops. The death of George Floyd was obviously a trigger to a tsunami of crimes of death and destruction.

Sory I don't buy it.

Do you have any link to prove he knew he was positive for Covid 19 at the time this incident occurred.

Or was he discovered to be covid 19 positive after the incident at autopsy? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

You will note the words you highlight are from police union president Bob Kroll not me. Maybe take it up with him if you claim he is lying? But, as you read the thread you will see people asking about Floyd's past, which leads to an easy conclusion that Kroll was right, Floyd's long violent past is not being reported sufficiently to give fair balance to the situation.

Did I say 'you' - No. To repeat Floyd's criminal background has been published in the public domain, including by members on this forum - police union guy is lying or if you prefer - misinforming. In any case Floyd's background is no excuse for use of homicidal force as confirmed by the State and private sector autopsies. There are now initial defense team claim two of the officers lack of action can be excused by deference to the chain of command - I call that scraping the bottom of the barrel.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sory I don't buy it.

Do you have any link to prove he knew he was positive for Covid 19 at the time this incident occurred.

Or was he discovered to be covid 19 positive after the incident at autopsy? 

Sure, CNN Health of all things!: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/04/health/george-floyd-coronavirus-autopsy/index.html

What?! Can't do your own google or need to be retrained on it? What's so important about whether he did or did not have the virus compared to all the other issues exposed by this death and inflicted on the entire USA and several other countries?

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, smedly said:

I assumed since the massive public outrage he was an innocent victim and a lovely family man - evidently not

I think you'd find its got nothing to do with the dead guys background, the massive outrage was four cops killed a guy on the street whilst bystanders asked them to stop and they would not. Not a good advert for the police or authority in that country.

30 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Considering the guy's criminal history has been previously published by MSM outlets, including the above, it's ridiculous to claim "the media will not air this". Only misinformation for political purposes.

Outside the US (UK for example) much of the facts aired by the media would not be allowed to be aired until after the trial, in order not to prejudice the trial. Trial by media is an American thing and an abomination to justice.

Floyd's record is a complete irrelevance to the case against the officers. He had his hands handcuffed behind his back and was on the floor being subdued by four officers who were safe in the knowledge that he had already been searched for weapons. Completely unnecessary to force a knee into his throat for 8 minutes whilst he lay practically motionless on the ground. 2nd degree murder (manslaughter in the UK).

Edited by Phil McCaverty
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Outside the US (UK for example) much of the facts aired by the media would not be allowed to be aired until after the trial, in order not to prejudice the trial. Trial by media is an American thing and an abomination to justice.<SNIP>

Agree

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

According to which side one listens to he was a wonderful human being or a career criminal.

Amongst the uproar it's pretty impossible to decide without having known him personally.

All I know is that the police department's training and /or procedures were obviously deficient. There should be standard procedures to follow in any situation, and kneeling on someone's neck should not be among them.

However, nothing justifies burning property and rioting, PERIOD.

You say "nothing justifies burning property and rioting, PERIOD". OK, I agree, but the way you word it suggests that you can justify the killing of George Floyd.

I don't care if you knew him personally or not. I don't care if he has a rap sheet a mile long. There was absolutely no justification for his killing, PERIOD, PERIOD and PERIOD!!!

There is no need to even mention burning and rioting as they are totally irrelevant when discussing George's death.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes he had a rap sheet only they did not know that at the time of the arrest so it has nothing to do with it. Only what happend at the time had anything to do with his death. 

He was arrested for passing a fake note.. and it turned out to be untrue. 

I'd think the cops run the person of interest's background immediately. Also I can't find any evidence of $20. bill NOT being fake.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

How do you know he was racist?

He was treated very fairly until he struggled in the car, nobody manhandled him before he decided he didn't want to stay in the back, blaming claustrophobia

The fact he was high as a kite would have added to his paranoia & anxiety, I can understand that

And the reason to force a knee into his neck for 8 minutes? If the carotid artery is constricted for 4 minutes, death usually occurs. He'd probably have been dead for some time before the knee was removed. Also was laid on his stomach with his hands cuffed behind his back with 4 officers subduing him. Absolutely no excuses.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

why was George Floyd arrested - does he have a rap sheet - is he a career criminal

Not judging what went on during his arrest - it was obviously excessive, the media are making this man out to be a saint, I don't know the answer which is why I'm asking

Nobody is making him out to be a saint.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Canuck1966 said:

Yeh he killed him, I'm not convinced it was anything to do with race and I don't think he purposely killed him

He had a camera on him for the whole time in broad daylight, hardly seems like a clever way to murder somebody

You could be right, I could be right. That's up to the trial jury to decide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Yeh he killed him, I'm not convinced it was anything to do with race and I don't think he purposely killed him

He had a camera on him for the whole time in broad daylight, hardly seems like a clever way to murder somebody

The police generally aren't clever, and they think they can do whatever they like and get away with it.

Usually they're right, but sometimes one gets so much bad publicity, they get thrown to the dogs.

I've suffered first hand experience of this back in the UK.

They chose to pay me off in the end.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

I think you'd find its got nothing to do with the dead guys background, the massive outrage was four cops killed a guy on the street whilst bystanders asked them to stop and they would not. Not a good advert for the police or authority in that country.

what was the point of excluding the rest of my post - just so you could say pretty much the same thing 

• Like 1