Video of Floyd's death offers clues into ex-Minneapolis officers' possible defense, say legal experts

webfact

7 minutes ago, smedly said:

I must be watching the wrong channels then - until I asked the question on here I understood him to be a wonderful family man and pillar in society - evidently not 

It doesn't really matter what he was like, he didn't deserve to be murdered by the police.

@Orton Rd"Be polite and co operate when arrested and there is no need for restraint or risk to your health."

The first two or three times fer sure ........ but after they've arrested and held you, or taken you in for questioning, 10, 20, 30 times it starts to get a bit annoying, and the urge to 'fight back' becomes overwhelming.

PS. They restrain you, no matter how compliant you are.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Actually I'm trying to be rational about the case. He wasn't the first black man to be killed by the cops and he won't be the last, also white guys are killed by the cops, apparently in greater numbers. The only reason that I can see to make this case "special" is to use it to attack Trump over.

So why don't all Americans demand serious, consistent and locked in change to police behaviors and demand clearly fair & balanced justice? After all the US is the land of freedom of speech with amendments to the constitution on this point etc.

Trump; i have no hesitation to share that I think he's a dangerous fool and IMHO he brings all the criticism on himself, through his attention getting grandstanding and obvious desire to be noticed, by his outrageous claims and behaviors. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

"To charge them you’d have to show they knew or should have known he was acting with excessive force." {emphasis added by me for clarity}

Unless you've been living in a cave with a sack over your head, you can see in the video the other officers observing what was going on. And for over eight minutes? And these are trained professionals? They're going down.

1 hour ago, Canuck1966 said:

Yeh he killed him, I'm not convinced it was anything to do with race and I don't think he purposely killed him

He had a camera on him for the whole time in broad daylight, hardly seems like a clever way to murder somebody

I don't think many people on this forum really think he did it on purpose. I certainly don't. But he did kill him and it was not needed. So its excessive force. Not murder, but he killed him by using to much force when it was not needed. I hope he gets punished for that. 

I dont know if he is racist or not. The guy had 18 complaints against him already. I honestly have no clue how many complaints the average cop has or what kind of complaints these are. 

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

He had the virus so could have spat at the officer in the car leading to him being taken out and restrained, sadly for too long. Be polite and co operate when arrested and there is no need for restraint or risk to your health.

",,,, he could have spat at the officer...." Any proof or specific details to back that up? Or your wild opportune assumption? 

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

",,,, he could have spat at the officer...." Any proof or specific details to back that up? Or your wild opportune assumption? 

The guy did say "Could have"....If you have anything info to the contrary then please post...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I understood him to be a wonderful family man and pillar in society

1 hour ago, smedly said:

what was the point of excluding the rest of my post - just so you could say pretty much the same thing 

Because I wasn't saying the same as you. I am not mentioning the subject of the dead guys character like you which is irrelevant, rather the character of four killer cops.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

The guy did say "Could have"....If you have anything info to the contrary then please post...

Could have has 3 arms, could have been a secret multi-billionaire, could have invented an invisible smartphone, could have is not relevant because puts ideas into peoples minds which can remain and actually build unfair process. Once it's said, even if the judge says 1,000 times 'the jury will disregard the comment, nothing can actually erase it and there is a chance that it will subconsciously sway some  jurors and the public.  

It someone deliberately set out to influence people to think I am a mass murderer etc., then I would be very angry, what about you?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes he had a rap sheet only they did not know that at the time of the arrest so it has nothing to do with it. Only what happend at the time had anything to do with his death. 

He was arrested for passing a fake note.. and it turned out to be untrue. 

Remember the victim and the policeman knew each other from earlier employment as security on a night club door

1 minute ago, transam said:

You are now a medical expert to point the finger at four.

The other officers should have intervened. Failure to do so may make them accessories to the crime. It may be claimed in court that they were unaware of the high risk involved in the prolonged use of the knee on the neck, and were preoccupied with 'crowd control'.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Olmate said:

Just read in Aust news release !now that 2 of the 4 police had been on the job for 4 days and that the first officer charged was their designated training officer. Hard to see they were in any position to effect the way this played out 

You think they had no training whatsoever for arrest / containment procedures before they deployed to the 'street'? However, common sense would inform even the most stupid of people kneeling on someone's neck for an extended period of time ain't good for their health, plus bystanders yelling at the police the guy was suffering - don't buy the excuse.

13 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Correct. Did I say "killed by four officers"? You really need to brush up on your comprehension.

Well after calling me a troll because that's what you do, can you now answer the question I put to you earlier. You called the cop(s) racist thugs, how do you know they were racist...?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Lane and Kueng helped hold Floyd down while Chauvin kneeled on Floyd's neck, but the legal experts said they still had defenses, particularly Lane.

Soon after Floyd is pinned down, Lane asked Chauvin if they should roll Floyd on his side, and was told "no," according to court documents.

Lane also said he was worried that Floyd was suffering from excited delirium, an agitated condition.

according to the defense lawyer who quoted from the bodycam recording, it wasn't this simple.  the lawyer said that lane asked chauvin, "he doesn't have a pulse, should we turn him on his side?"  to which chauvin responded, "no, he stays like this."

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JIMHILL said:

Remember the victim and the policeman knew each other from earlier employment as security on a night club door

So its normal for police officers to check out people they know at a night club in the criminal database. I thought that that kind of stuff was not allowed. If you said he had arrested him before then yes sure But in this case I don't see how he was privy to the information just because he knew him from a night club. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChouDoufu said:

according to the defense lawyer who quoted from the bodycam recording, it wasn't this simple.  the lawyer said that lane asked chauvin, "he doesn't have a pulse, should we turn him on his side?"  to which chauvin responded, "no, he stays like this."

Well if he said that then he's bang to rights!

• Like 1