Video of Floyd's death offers clues into ex-Minneapolis officers' possible defense, say legal experts

webfact

1 minute ago, robblok said:

So its normal for police officers to check out people they know at a night club in the criminal database. I thought that that kind of stuff was not allowed. If you said he had arrested him before then yes sure But in this case I don't see how he was privy to the information just because he knew him from a night club. 

They were both security at the same nightclub.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

They were both security at the same nightclub.

But does that mean he can check the guys criminal record ? I mean i always thought that database could not be used for private things.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

But does that mean he can check the guys criminal record ? I mean i always thought that database could not be used for private things.

Yes, it should not have been used for that. But I would presume that in talks things are discussed. So to me it does seem likely that 1. he knew him; 2. he knew of his criminal past; and 3, he knew of any illegal substances George was taking (if any).

Now afaik he had no criminal past in Minnesota where he moved to in 2009?

3 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Well if he said that then he's bang to rights!

yep.  so IF the recording actually has that and is not a mishearing by the lawyer, lane announced floyd had no pulse, which the other officers probably heard.  that can perhaps be confirmed from their bodycam recordings. 

but you have chauvin refusing to move a suspect with no pulse, not immediately starting CPR, ensuring his death is permanent.  that is premeditated murder.  he did this with bodycams in operation and bystanders with cellphones.  that's no casual racism.  my opinion is there must have been some history between those two.

lane knew the suspect's pulse had stopped, yet deferred to his senior officer, knowing the suspect was dead or dying.  good luck claiming "just following orders."

the other two?  not enough data at this time.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, it should not have been used for that. But I would presume that in talks things are discussed. So to me it does seem likely that 1. he knew him; 2. he knew of his criminal past; and 3, he knew of any illegal substances George was taking (if any).

No criminal past in Minnesota since 2009. Does not really sound like a career criminal. (do you have any proof of this would totally change things IMHO) Al those that are hammering on him being a career criminal are then wrong. I mean that means he did not do much for 11 years (or never proven anyway)

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Keung on 3rd shift, Lane 4th day and Chauvin was the training officer! 

No way they would be trying to overrule Chauvin being absolute rookies 

Sounds like the film Training Day where Denzel Washington plays the corrupt cop

So a training officer with 18 complaints against him, 2 of those leading to reprimands? Seems the department could be culpable as well.

• Like 2

why was floyd arrested?

a minimart clerk called the cops because he didn't like the look of a $20 bill.

a non-violent allegation like that calls for investigation.  the cops arrived with floyd and two friends still sitting in their car outside the minimart. 

there is no indication on the video released that they interviewed the minimart clerk, or asked to see the contents of floyd's wallet.

the cops should be asking questions, as they at that point have no grounds to arrest anyone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

No criminal past in Minnesota since 2009. Does not really sound like a career criminal. (do you have any proof of this would totally change things IMHO) Al those that are hammering on him being a career criminal are then wrong. I mean that means he did not do much for 11 years (or never proven anyway)

All I have read about is his Texas criminal past, nothing about Minnesota. I just found he spent 5 years in jail starting 2009, after that moved to Minnesota. So AFAIK no recent criminal history.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

All I have read about is his Texas criminal past, nothing about Minnesota. I just found he spent 5 years in jail starting 2009, after that moved to Minnesota. So AFAIK no recent criminal history.

If that is true then those calling him a career criminal are wrong. I mean someone who does not get arrested for 11 years is not really a career criminal. (sure people will come with examples of big maffia bosses that have no record but for normal people its hard to not have a record if your committing crime on a regular basis)

• Haha 1

Posts containing content which was copy and pasted from other sites with no supporting link have been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Posts with comedy video or videos from unapproved sources have been removed. 

Troll posts and the replies have been removed. 

6 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

There apparently is an attempt to sacrifice some of these officers that didn't really deserve to be, AFAIC. Maybe there are "systemic" issues other than the racism claimed by what amounts to a lynch mob? I hope the all get fair trials.

Sorry, but from this and other similar cases, the American justice system has become a circus, in which the Ringmaster's are politicians.

37 minutes ago, robblok said:

If that is true then those calling him a career criminal are wrong. I mean someone who does not get arrested for 11 years is not really a career criminal. (sure people will come with examples of big maffia bosses that have no record but for normal people its hard to not have a record if your committing crime on a regular basis)

That's true. 

The victim and killer both worked as bouncers at the same nightclub. Not sure if they worked together, or knew one another, but that ought to be investigated.

In the UK police officers cannot work as bouncers. 

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

It has been mentioned that they did both work as bouncers at the same club but they had very little contact with each other.

6 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Yeh but if you have a long rap sheet, you are going to get treated differently by the police. It's human nature

It was the "human nature" of a twisted cop who shouldn't have been wearing a badge. Apparently he already had 16 complaints to his name, some of which were for unnecessary force. 

5 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Its sad that George's autopsy said he had a heart condition, meth and fentanyl in his system. Along with a criminal record those cops may walk

don't forget he had Coronavirus too. This makes a mess of the protocol of attributing cause of death to be Coronavirus for everybody that tested positive for it. So either the rules need to be changed for coronavirus death tallies, or this was not murder. Tough one isn't it!!

As per Dr Birx's statement "Right now ... if someone dies with COVID-19 we are counting that as a COVID-19 death."

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/working-stiff/85925

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

So a training officer with 18 complaints against him, 2 of those leading to reprimands? Seems the department could be culpable as well.

You make a very valid point.  Many say that the victim was a violent low life scum and a thug as if to say he deserved what he got; every single description is irrelevant unless he was behaving in that manner at the time of arrest and restraint.  This is all backed up with outraged horror at his rap sheet in order to deflect from the truth, as he did not appear to present any threat to the four police officers when handcuffed and lying on the ground.

Could we now look at the complaint history of the accused with the same level of interest?  Officers do receive complaints during the course of their duty and many are exonerated but I read on here that the accused had received reprimands for excessive use of force.  I have no other source to verify that.

In any professional investigation into an allegation against a police officer it is necessary to examine previous complaints to check if there are any similarities in the alleged behavior.  If a police officer is continually receiving complaints from multiple different sources who are not connected it does tend to show the complaints may be genuine.

And before you ask, yes I have investigated several police officers and even sent one to jail.

18 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Not arrested since 2009 but with a record going back over 20 years and caught dropping bags of drugs, with meth and fentanyl in his system and arrested for an alleged forged note. Yeah pillar of the community, especialy when threatening a pregnant black woman with a gun, He might have been illegaly killed, but he was a low life.

IF he was caught for it he would be in jail and convicted. So since 2009 he done no such things. Either he changed his life or he was far to smart for anyone to catch him (unlikely).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

According to which side one listens to he was a wonderful human being or a career criminal.

Amongst the uproar it's pretty impossible to decide without having known him personally.

All I know is that the police department's training and /or procedures were obviously deficient. There should be standard procedures to follow in any situation, and kneeling on someone's neck should not be among them.

However, nothing justifies burning property and rioting, PERIOD.

Minnesota cops are trained by Israeli forces in restraint techniques involving knee on neck maneuver which is allowed for use by Minneapolis police.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

You make a very valid point.  Many say that the victim was a violent low life scum and a thug as if to say he deserved what he got; every single description is irrelevant unless he was behaving in that manner at the time of arrest and restraint.  This is all backed up with outraged horror at his rap sheet in order to deflect from the truth, as he did not appear to present any threat to the four police officers when handcuffed and lying on the ground.

Could we now look at the complaint history of the accused with the same level of interest?  Officers do receive complaints during the course of their duty and many are exonerated but I read on here that the accused had received reprimands for excessive use of force.  I have no other source to verify that.

In any professional investigation into an allegation against a police officer it is necessary to examine previous complaints to check if there are any similarities in the alleged behavior.  If a police officer is continually receiving complaints from multiple different sources who are not connected it does tend to show the complaints may be genuine.

And before you ask, yes I have investigated several police officers and even sent one to jail.

How can such a liberal place allow such a police officer to continue to work? This has been a Dem's stronghold for decades

6 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Do you have a citation to back up your claim that the 4 officers did not know of Floyd's violent criminal past? As we know, Chauvin actually worked the door at the same nightclub that Floyd did, so the likelihood these 2 knew of each other is high. I suspect as a career criminal Floyd was very well known to local police and stores. Every town has such characters.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/derek-chauvin-nightclub-george-floyd-security-shifts-el-nuevo-rodeo-minneapolis/

So an ex-criminal and a dangerous cop both worked the door in this club.... That's a poor choice.

Bienvenido at the Nuevo Rodeo club! ????

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Its sad that George's autopsy said he had a heart condition, meth and fentanyl in his system. Along with a criminal record those cops may walk

And, positive for Covid 19.

1 hour ago, transam said:

You know them all then.......?

He looks like a good person and a good cop sitting with black kids and sharing lunch with them. Anybody who thinks all cops are bad is an idiot. OK. are you defending bad cops because 'reasons'?

It seems like quite a few here are looking for reasons to defend what looks very much like an intention to kill a man, or at least complete indifference to the strong likelihood of his dying.

I can't fathom the motivation to defend it, other than racism and/or politics.

Edited by teatime101
  • Like 2