Video of Floyd's death offers clues into ex-Minneapolis officers' possible defense, say legal experts

webfact

13 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Complete nonsense. Force is used when circumstances dictate, but not homicidal physical force as confirmed by two autopsies,  We will have to wait the outcome of the Court cases before commenting further.

It is interesting so many members are playing lawyers in their attempts to defend the killings of an African American by a white police officer without knowing the actual evidence.

Also interesting that white cops are killed in the line of duty and no protests eventuate.

Some of us know why this local situation escalated into what it has become and it's not, IMO, because a black man was killed by misadventure.

No one has so far claimed that the cop went out that day with the intent to kill that particular man.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Also interesting that white cops are killed in the line of duty and no protests eventuate.

Some of us know why this local situation escalated into what it has become and it's not, IMO, because a black man was killed by misadventure.

No one has so far claimed that the cop went out that day with the intent to kill that particular man.

Take up your first sentence comment with white society in the USA and elsewhere. I believe it is a given fact middle class white society generally is self satisfied, with exceptions, doesn't really care that much about others in society. Only need to look at the relatively small number of white protesters overall in the current demonstrations.

Misadventure? The police officer has been charged with second degree murder, There will be some degree of intent to kill to justify the charge, of course to be proven or not at Court. 

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, digger70 said:

If He would've been White there wouldn't  be any Drama, Just Bad luck on the Crims side ,as of Excessive Force  That's Debatable as he was a Crim one can't take Any chances so Force Has to be applied to the crim by the officers to protect themselves.

A police officer may only apply force to protect himself or any other person from death or serious bodily injury; the threat should be real and not perceived.  Applying pressure to the side of the neck in the same way as the police officer did is not protecting anybody!  The victim, handcuffed behind his back, and lying down presented no threat.

14 hours ago, digger70 said:

Mr. Floyd was a drug addict and at the time was high on Fentanyl, which is more potent than Heroin. also he was drunk 

That alone Was enough to Use Force. Any cop in Any country would've done same .No Matter what Colour the crim or the cop  was.

Absolute twaddle!  Did the police officers at the time know he was high on something?

I can name several hundred police officers in several countries who would NOT have done the same.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just to put this in perspective.. his last conviction was 11 years back. So either the cops are incompetent and never caught him again or he cleaned up his act.

So are you finally retracting your earlier claim that the cop did not know the deceased?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just to put this in perspective.. his last conviction was 11 years back. So either the cops are incompetent and never caught him again or he cleaned up his act.

He cleaned up so much that he was high on fentanyl and meth (what a combo) behind the wheel when he was picked up. Not sure of his alcohol content.

1 minute ago, TopDeadSenter said:

So are you finally retracting your earlier claim that the cop did not know the deceased?

He knew the guy.. but its unclear if he knew of his rap sheet as the rap sheet was before he moved to Minnesota. Unless the cop was even more at fault and pulled the guys rap sheet. Or maybe the cop had a beef with the guy and decided to give him extra rough treatment. 

But again his rap sheet was from BEFORE he moved to Minnesota 11 years ago.

Are you acknowledging this fact ?

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

He cleaned up so much that he was high on fentanyl and meth (what a combo) behind the wheel when he was picked up. Not sure of his alcohol content.

So in your mind this justifies murder from those who are supposed to protect and serve?

1 minute ago, J Town said:

So in your mind this justifies murder from those who are supposed to protect and serve?

Don't you get tired of your same lame comments. The post below is mine which you responded to just to put everything into perspective. I'm sure his drug and alcohol consumption means that he hadn't cleaned up his act as some are implying. Then you jump in with your unjustified claims of murder.

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

He could be one of your friends then. Your the kind of guy that likes to not obey the rules and call people sheeple for doing so. 

There was recent meth use.. but not high on meth. (you know it can be detected for a couple of days that is what is in the report) So your being liberal with the truth. As for the fentanyl, he had it in his system not sure if he was high on it. 

But its one thing being high on a drug and driving (alcohol included) and an other is being a criminal. Don't get me wrong I despise everyone who is under the influence of drugs (alcohol included) and drives. He is no exception. But that hardly makes him a violent criminal. 

In the end it was the cop that over reacted used too much force and killed him. Instead of processing him and getting him charged for being high behind the wheel (if that was the case)

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

Don't you get tired of your same lame comments. The post below is mine which you responded to just to put everything into perspective. I'm sure his drug and alcohol consumption means that he hadn't cleaned up his act as some are implying. Then you jump in with your unjustified claims of murder.

I will NEVER tire of calling out your bologna.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

Absolute twaddle!  Did the police officers at the time know he was high on something?

I can name several hundred police officers in several countries who would NOT have done the same.  

You do, wow....????...I have a job remembering my own.....????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You know several hundred cops in different countries.....wow....you're awesome.

Not awesome really, just friendly.  The fact still remains that I know several hundred police officers in several countries who would not have done what we saw. 

My response was to a claim by digger70 that any cop in any country would have done the same, please bear that in mind when trying to belittle using sarcasm.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

He could be one of your friends then. Your the kind of guy that likes to not obey the rules and call people sheeple for doing so. 

There was recent meth use.. but not high on meth. (you know it can be detected for a couple of days that is what is in the report) So your being liberal with the truth. As for the fentanyl, he had it in his system not sure if he was high on it. 

But its one thing being high on a drug and driving (alcohol included) and an other is being a criminal. Don't get me wrong I despise everyone who is under the influence of drugs (alcohol included) and drives. He is no exception. But that hardly makes him a violent criminal. 

In the end it was the cop that over reacted used too much force and killed him. Instead of processing him and getting him charged for being high behind the wheel (if that was the case)

He very well could have been one of my friends, is there a problem with that?? Cop with the knee will have his day in court and believe me all of Floyd's bad habits will come to play as well. The reason why Floyd was being held down in the first place isn't talked about much.

Fentanyl and meth isn't a drug you just decide to do once and stop for a few days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You just leave my bologna out of this  :burp:  Heading to the beach for a few brews and some sun.

You stop throwing out bologna, then there's nothing to call. Enjoy.

1. Your honor, my client had no idea, that when a man is on the ground, in handcuffs, without a weapon, that he was not still a threat.

2. Your honor, my client had no understanding that a human windpipe is the primary means of carrying oxygen to the brain, and that by blocking it for 8 minutes, the man would likely choke, and die.

3. Your honor, my client is a massive coward, and did not have the courage to stop killer Chauvin from committing murder, yet again. He did not think it was appropriate to warn him, scold him, or take out his baton, and beat him up. He should not be prosecuted and he should be given an exemption for cowardice.

In the new America, the ever devolving America, where the population gorges on reality TV daily, and the leader encourages hatred and division, cowardice is a virtue, and bravery is discouraged, correct?

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

1. Your honor, my client had no idea, that when a man is on the ground, in handcuffs, without a weapon, that he was not still a threat.

2. Your honor, my client had no understanding that a human windpipe is the primary means of carrying oxygen to the brain, and that by blocking it for 8 minutes, the man would likely choke, and die.

3. Your honor, my client is a massive coward, and did not have the courage to stop killer Chauvin from committing murder, yet again. He did not think it was appropriate to warn him, scold him, or take out his baton, and beat him up. He should not be prosecuted and he should be given an exemption for cowardice.

In the new America, the ever devolving America, where the population gorges on reality TV daily, and the leader encourages hatred and division, cowardice is a virtue, and bravery is discouraged, correct?

Preach it shillboy

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, robblok said:

He knew the guy.. but its unclear if he knew of his rap sheet as the rap sheet was before he moved to Minnesota. Unless the cop was even more at fault and pulled the guys rap sheet. Or maybe the cop had a beef with the guy and decided to give him extra rough treatment. 

But again his rap sheet was from BEFORE he moved to Minnesota 11 years ago.

Are you acknowledging this fact ?

It's even unclear if he knew the guy. The owner of the nightclub has said she thought they did not know eachother.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, but how many times previously had the cop been in a similar position? In a culture where cops face being gunned down merely for being cops, dare I say that they take measures to protect themselves that would not be used in a less threatening culture. Sometimes, and obviously in this situation it all goes wrong.

what situation?  they got a call about a non-violent alleged forged bill!

this is NOT a lone highway patrolman in the middle of nowhere at 4am pulling over a car suspected of involvement with an armed robbery of a filling station with 4-5 guys inside with busted windows, broken taillights, blackened windows, and pumping out hippyhop music!

it's late afternoon on a busy city street.  four cops vs. one helpless, handcuffed suspect.

you don't get it.  chauvin kneeled on the man's neck for 9 ***ing minutes!  at 6 minutes he was informed the suspect HAD NO PULSE.  he ordered his subordinates NOT to move the victim.  instead of allowing them to begin CPR, he kept on kneelin' for another 3 minutes until the ambulance arrived.  he intended to be sure the man could NOT be resuscitated, or if he could would be a vegetable.

the only thing that "went wrong" is them newfangled cellphones and surveillance cameras that don't let the cops claim he pulled a conveniently appearing gun with filed-off serial number. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

A police officer may only apply force to protect himself or any other person from death or serious bodily injury; the threat should be real and not perceived.  Applying pressure to the side of the neck in the same way as the police officer did is not protecting anybody!  The victim, handcuffed behind his back, and lying down presented no threat.

chauvin drew his gun and pointed it at floyd as he approached the car before they had any interaction at the scene.  why?  alleged passing of an alleged counterfeit bill is a non-violent alleged offense and does not warrant weapons use.

applying pressure to the neck of a dead man is not protecting anybody.  preventing your subordinates from resuscitating the man with no pulse is not protecting anybody but a bad cop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

2a.  your honor, my client was unaware that when his subordinate reported the suspect had "no pulse" that it meant the guy was dead or dying.

2b.  your honor, my client having been informed that the suspect had no pulse thought he was just faking it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

Take up your first sentence comment with white society in the USA and elsewhere. I believe it is a given fact middle class white society generally is self satisfied, with exceptions, doesn't really care that much about others in society. Only need to look at the relatively small number of white protesters overall in the current demonstrations.

Misadventure? The police officer has been charged with second degree murder, There will be some degree of intent to kill to justify the charge, of course to be proven or not at Court. 

Not required to prove intent under the statute.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

2a.  your honor, my client was unaware that when his subordinate reported the suspect had "no pulse" that it meant the guy was dead or dying.

2b.  your honor, my client having been informed that the suspect had no pulse thought he was just faking it.

Unfortunately for the perp, his 3 co defendants are squealing like stuck pigs and are highly likely to turn states evidence against him.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It's even unclear if he knew the guy. The owner of the nightclub has said she thought they did not know eachother.

is that the phrasing the owner used?

she thought they did not know each other, or, she did not know if they knew each other?

either way, irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

It looks like one possible defence for the police officers is to claim that they were acting on the orders of POTUS

Light blue touch paper and retire.

And this would be a perfect moment for him to resign, after two historically massive failures in a row. They entire planet would rejoice. 

• Confused 1