Tesla's Elon Musk calls for breakup of Amazon in tweet

webfact

Tesla's Elon Musk calls for breakup of Amazon in tweet

2020-06-04T231327Z_2_LYNXMPEG53266_RTROPTP_3_TESLA-STOCKS-MUSK.JPG

FILE PHOTO: SpaceX owner and Tesla CEO Elon Musk arrives on the red carpet for the automobile awards "Das Goldene Lenkrad" (The golden steering wheel) given by a German newspaper in Berlin, Germany, November 12, 2019. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke/File Photo

(Reuters) - Telsa Inc Chief Executive Elon Musk on Thursday called for Amazon.com Inc to be broken up, after an author complained on social media about being unable to self-publish a book via the world's largest online retailer.

"This is insane @JeffBezos," Musk tweeted at Amazon's chief. Both men are billionaires and oversee competing space exploration companies on top of their duties at Telsa and Amazon. "Time to break up Amazon. Monopolies are wrong!" Musk added in a second tweet.

Musk does not have legal authority to break up Amazon.

The retailer had no comment on Musk's call for its dissolution but said the book in question, by author Alex Berenson, had been blocked in error and was now available for sale via its Kindle e-reading service. The decision to greenlight the book's sale was not due to Musk, Amazon said.

The Tesla chief, who earlier this month said he would take a break from Twitter, has a history of being outspoken on the social media platform. A tweet in 2018 that he had secured funding to take Tesla private led to a lawsuit against Musk by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, which the parties later settled. Musk has lashed out about shelter-at-home restrictions to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus as well.

According to a photo of a message Amazon sent Berenson, posted on Twitter, the retailer had taken action because the 22-page book did not comply with guidelines that Amazon did not specify, adding, "we are referring customers to official sources for health information about the virus."

Berenson's book is titled, "Unreported Truths about COVID-19 and Lockdowns: Part 1: Introduction and Death Counts and Estimates."

Berenson did not respond to an email requesting comment. After Amazon approved the book's sale, he tweeted, "thanks to @elonmusk and everyone who helped."

(Reporting by Stephen Nellis and Jeffrey Dastin in San Francisco and Tina Bellon in New York, Editing by Franklin Paul and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-05

Nice line of someone thta has a net worth of 32 billion, trying to tell another with a net worth of 149 billion what to do.

I guess he should try to dress in clothes that fits him, instead of jumping around in too big shorts.

Amazon is now an essential service. Bezos is investing all $4 billion they took in to make a vaccinated supply chain. In other words virus free from beginning to end delivery of all goods. Life isn't fair for Amazon competitors because they are competing against a pure genius. If you break Amazon up you will get 4 companies that dominate their perspective fields more aggressively. 

The government was so utterly feckless without corporations that I can't imagine they are in the position to break anything up right now. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Amazon is now an essential service. Bezos is investing all $4 billion they took in to make a vaccinated supply chain. In other words virus free from beginning to end delivery of all goods. Life isn't fair for Amazon competitors because they are competing against a pure genius. If you break Amazon up you will get 4 companies that dominate their perspective fields more aggressively. 

The government was so utterly feckless without corporations that I can't imagine they are in the position to break anything up right now. 

Well yes, this Government, I would agree.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well yes, this Government, I would agree.

The state governments especially. Blame them for making Amazon a monster. They decided that the 4 biggest companies in the USA would be the only things open. So much for hating the bg corporations. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

They're not competing with genius.  They're competing with $trillions in free Fed money that has no place else to go.   If you have unfettered access to free $billions in hot money, you can violate all kinds of laws and call the penalties a cost of doing business.

If you don't have access to that free money and have to compete in the nuts and bolts world that 95% of us live in, toughsky poopsky to yousky.

Jeff Bezos is a genius I don't think you can dispute that. There are a handful of people on the planet on that sort of level. Musk is another one of them.

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Amazon is very dangerous, and adjustment on how it operated must be made. The platform can remain, but how it is controlled must change. You can not have one entity controlling such large portion of commerce in the US.

"In 2018, Amazon's share of the US ecommerce market hit 49%. That's 5% of all retail spent across the entire country.  " 

https://www.bigcommerce.com/blog/amazon-statistics/#:~:text=In%202018%2C%20Amazon's%20share%20of,%25%20and%20Walmart%20at%203.7%25. 

Yeah and the government just made Amazon a much bigger entity in the past 6 months. 

16 minutes ago, impulse said:

They're not competing with genius.  They're competing with $trillions in free Fed money that has no place else to go.   If you have unfettered access to free $billions in hot money, you can violate all kinds of laws and call the penalties a cost of doing business.

If you don't have access to that free money and have to compete in the nuts and bolts world that 95% of us live in, toughsky poopsky to yousky.

It takes a bit of brains to know how to do that. Give Joe Blow the same opportunity he wouldn't know how or what to do. Give the government that kind of money and they would lose it all. 

The 95% of us live in... I doubt you even know what it feels like to live in the poverty 95% of people below you endure. Look at me I am so poor I live abroad and have it on easy street.

Edited by Cryingdick

8 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Surely I cannot be alone in wondering why such a superfluous sentence got past the editor?

Editors?        Editors?      We don't need no stinking editors!

See....  Already 2 more posts and associated clicks.  Cha Ching!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

Editors?        Editors?      We don't need no stinking editors!

See....  Already 2 more posts and associated clicks.  Cha Ching!

One must be BRAVE in this new era of wall to wall advertising. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Jeff Bezos is a genius I don't think you can dispute that. There are a handful of people on the planet on that sort of level. Musk is another one of them.

I don't dispute that.  But genius and a few hundred billion in stimulus money, plus a bevy of lawyers and hundreds of lobbyists...

When was the last time you saw an Amazon drone delivering your goodies?

Musk is absolutely a genius.  I know because I see the results driving around all over.  He hasn't simply consolidated a bunch of distribution networks and changed the way we buy stuff that already existed.  He's given us products that we couldn't buy before he spanked the big car companies.  And the power companies.  And NASA.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RadicalVestor said:

He is such a Jealous Fool. I can just imagine his private rants with his S African accent "How dare Jeff make more money than me, I am much better looking than he is. Arent I?"

Is this the guy with the blades for lower legs that shot his missus through the bathroom door. 

Hows he out of jail so quick? 

14 hours ago, lupin said:

I built a rocket out of a milk bottle and rubber bands... no-one was interested. I propose Tesla should be broken up

It would seem more reasonable to break NASA up ..... as they have absolute control of all space exploration.

• Confused 1