How to Retire in Cambodia: Costs, Visas and More

geovalin

14 minutes ago, geovalin said:

However, people over the age of 55 can get an ER visa extension. You must have documentation of retirement in the United States and proof of funds to sustain your stay in Cambodia.

Only US documentation?  I'm surprised Cambodia has anything to do with US after they missed Vietnam with some of their ordnance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even that short excerpt could have used some fact checking. Firstly, no visas on arrival available right now (COVID-19). Secondly, for someone who's 55+ years old, usually no documentation whatsoever is required. Finally, no special rules for retirees from the US.

11 hours ago, geovalin said:

and low cost of living.

Complete and utter BS. I lived in Phnom Penh for 5 years. It's an unpleasant dump - and an expensive one. The greedy Chinese have bought everything and pushed up rent prices. The ONLY thing cheaper than here in Thailand is beer. I'm sick of clueless idiots giving outdated, cliched info to prospective expats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OPs link states that in Cambodia, your worldwide salary will be subject to Cambodian Tax on Salary of 20%. (I came across the same problem with Bali). How is this enforced and are there ways around it?

the ER-Class: Cambodia Visa for Retirees

The extension of an E-Class Visa plus modification into the ER-Class entitled retirees to live in Cambodia.

A certificate from the home country proving that the applicant has the necessary financial means to provide for its living is required. This can e.g. be a certificate of pension. Evidence of bank savings is also accepted as proof in exceptional cases...... Just how much funds are required?

Edited by DaRoadrunner

On 6/5/2020 at 11:44 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

The OPs link states that in Cambodia, your worldwide salary will be subject to Cambodian Tax on Salary of 20%. (I came across the same problem with Bali). How is this enforced and are there ways around it?

It's not enforced, it relies on self-reporting and filing your own taxes as a Cambodian resident. I have never actually heard of anyone attempting to do this for obvious reasons.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2020 at 2:22 PM, 4737 Carlin said:

Complete and utter BS. I lived in Phnom Penh for 5 years. It's an unpleasant dump - and an expensive one. The greedy Chinese have bought everything and pushed up rent prices. The ONLY thing cheaper than here in Thailand is beer. I'm sick of clueless idiots giving outdated, cliched info to prospective expats.

I got that impression. Fun for a visit, but actually quite expensive all things said and done and just not the quality or safety of Thai.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 8:22 PM, 4737 Carlin said:

Is Siem Reap similarly expensive.?Been to PP and S'ville a while ago, would like another look at Cambo and from what I've heard Siem Reap is more relaxed and cheaper for accomm. 

On 6/5/2020 at 11:44 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

the ER-Class: Cambodia Visa for Retirees

The extension of an E-Class Visa plus modification into the ER-Class entitled retirees to live in Cambodia.

A certificate from the home country proving that the applicant has the necessary financial means to provide for its living is required. This can e.g. be a certificate of pension. Evidence of bank savings is also accepted as proof in exceptional cases...... Just how much funds are required?

Not required for people over 55 years old.

2 hours ago, rott said:

Is Siem Reap similarly expensive.?Been to PP and S'ville a while ago, would like another look at Cambo and from what I've heard Siem Reap is more relaxed and cheaper for accomm. 

Got a pal living in PP after no longer having enough money to get the VISA in Thailand.

Got a pal in SR who seems more than happy with the price of everything.

I enjoy both places but prefer SR, problem being, it's too hot in the summer.

Edited by BritManToo

On 6/11/2020 at 6:42 AM, BritManToo said:

Not required for people over 55 years old.

How did you know how old Da Roadrunner is?

On 6/7/2020 at 12:04 PM, JCauto said:

It's not enforced, it relies on self-reporting and filing your own taxes as a Cambodian resident. I have never actually heard of anyone attempting to do this for obvious reasons.

Cambodia? Its like up country Thailand, I enjoyed a visit but would go stir crazy if I lived there.

I am also looking at Bali which has a similar treatment of tax on imported capital. Not yet found out if it is enforced or not?

On 6/11/2020 at 6:44 AM, BritManToo said:

Got a pal living in PP after no longer having enough money to get the VISA in Thailand.

Got a pal in SR who seems more than happy with the price of everything.

I enjoy both places but prefer SR, problem being, it's too hot in the summer.

yeah, seems about the same costs as Thailand to me, Im not sure what the expensive things these people refer to are. SR is hot, but so is all of Cambodia and Thailand when you go inland

• Like 1