Switching visa from U.S. passport to Canadian?

HI all!

Have a question. My visa is in my U.S. passport that is about to expire and I have dual citizenship with Canada, I am wondering if I can switch the visa over to my Canadian passport which has years left? I am not asking if I can renew my U.S. passport, I have all that information, I just want to know if it is possible to switch the visa from my U.S. passport to my Canadian?

Thanks for your time.

When borders re-open you could exit on your US passport and re-enter VE on your Canadian passport, then convert to a Non O at your local Immigration, then in the last 30 days of the Non O apply for an extension again.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 4:57 AM, ubonjoe said:

I assume you mean an extension of stay not a visa.

You cannot transfer your extension to a passport from a different country. To do it you would need to enter the country with your Canadian passport and apply for a new extension after getting a new visa from embassy or consulate.

Oh that is very useful information indeed. I'm a dual national as well (UK/NZ). I haven't yet settled in Thailand - hopefully later this year - so I need to choose which one to use from the outset. Country of birth is probably the best one for consular assistance etc if ever needed.

Surely if you change passports they will still have entry records. Or, as i have 3 passports i can travel in and out pretty much as many times as i want.

Cant you enter on any passport but show the extension on the other?

5 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Cant you enter on any passport but show the extension on the other?

You could if they were issued by the same country. That is normal if one of them has expired.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:
3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you ever need consular assistance from the British embassy I wish you good luck. 

Surely they can't be worse than AU embassy?

Where do you think the Aussies learned how to be so obstructive? ???? Mummy knows best!

Edited by sometimewoodworker