Mahidol ranked top Thai university and 122nd in Asia

webfact

13 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I can add to these cases, several of my former Thai colleagues who alluded to the fact there wasn't much involved in earning their degrees, and in some cases paid others to write their theses.

Like the African and South American nations who print money in an attempt to boost their economies, this indeed is what brings down their value compared to the other currencies of their world.

I should however add an important caveat, this doesn't mean that all holders of Thai university degrees haven't worked hard and become skilled, intelligent people, as I've met a few of them as well.

The skilled and intelligent will always make it, regardless of the sub standard education offered by their Thai University rather than because of it. It's the middle of the road hard workers that get let down badly. 

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

A broken clock is right twice a day, does that make it the best clock in the shop ?

Whilst I am sure that there are probably some educated and smart people here I'll wager they were more than likely educated elsewhere/overseas.

The standard of education I have encountered from people who have "graduated" is awful. I dont think the Thai paperwork is worth much outside of Thailand either.

Just my opinion.

Well paper from Thailand isn't worth anything outside of Thailand, similar to any degree from any Philippine university. 

In several companies I've worked with many SE asians 'graduates' and they were basically reduced to admin work since their degree was worthless.

That's not to say many of them weren't  really smart, but the paper they hold has no value outside Thailand for obvious reasons.

There was a reason me and my wife were adamant that our son wasn't going to university in Thailand, so we shipped him off to stay with my American daughter in Chicago to go to college there

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The comic George Carlin used to use in one of his routines, "There is, by definition, a worst doctor in the whole world.....and he has appointments today".

There are 310 colleges and universities in Thailand. The very best of these 310 is Mahidol, and it is ranked 122nd just in Asia. Building on George Carlin's line, imagine you are a student and applied to #310 on Thailand's list......and got rejected.

On 6/5/2020 at 4:21 AM, webfact said:

Mahidol ranked top Thai university and 122nd in Asia

If it was football they'd be in the non leagues fighting in the barrel to get into the Conference .. Premier League is still a long way to go .. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 10:25 AM, keith101 said:

So there is 121 better Universities elsewhere in Asia , that says a lot for Thai education doesn't it NOT .

Wow, 3 grammatical errors in a post criticizing Thai education ???? 

I really don't understand those criticizing Thailand here. It is a developing country <deleted>! 

I was lucky enough to go to a good school that is 750 years old and a university that is 437 years old and in the top 20 in the world.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I really don't understand those criticizing Thailand here. It is a developing country <deleted>! 

I was lucky enough to go to a good school that is 750 years old and a university that is 437 years old and in the top 20 in the world.

You could have saved on posh school fees, mate. I self-taught and still got into a university that's nearly 1,000 years old...

17 hours ago, sharecropper said:

You could have saved on posh school fees, mate. I self-taught and still got into a university that's nearly 1,000 years old...

It was free. I've never paid a penny on education. Self-teaching is hard, but doable!

On 6/5/2020 at 10:25 AM, keith101 said:

So there is 121 better Universities elsewhere in Asia , that says a lot for Thai education doesn't it NOT .

Sorry to mention it Keith but you are not saying a lot about your own education. 

Actually before mouthing off on here it is worthwhile to actually browse the THE Asia University rankings. I looked at the top 200 It is dominated by just 7 countries - China, Hong Kong, South Korea, India, Israel, Iran, Singapore. Malaysia had three. Thailand gets two. A handful of other countries got about one each. I didn't see any other ASEAN countries apart from Philippines with one entry. Iran had no less than 16 in the top 200, that is something to think about. 

The reality is that unless you are high on the development index, your country has no chance of getting in the rankings. It also makes a big difference if you use a major language - who cites research work in Thai outside of Thailand?

13 hours ago, rickudon said:

The reality is that unless you are high on the development index, your country has no chance of getting in the rankings. It also makes a big difference if you use a major language - who cites research work in Thai outside of Thailand?

Very true, but then Thailand likes to hold itself up as a Developed Country comparable to many of the countries on that list. Reality is Thailand is a lot closer to Vietnam than Singapore in this regard. 

English is the de facto language of academia for any research of note. Other than Thai specific research, English should be used. Since many Thai academics are poorly trained in English they don't publish, there is no reasonable way to determine if they are good or bad. A good friend finished a Masters at Thammasat, only the abstract was in English because his professor could not read English well, yet my friend is quite fluent. All scientific papers must be peer-reviewed which is quite limited if the work is only in Thai.

• Like 1