Scala to bring the curtain down after 50 years showing movies

webfact

Scala to bring the curtain down after 50 years showing movies

By THE NATION

800_a63e28373f2eed1.jpg?v=1591324636

Photo by Supanut Arunoprayote

The Scala Cinema announced on Thursday (June 4) that it would cease its movie showing operation and would let other businesses rent the theatre for their activities or screening of special films until the land contract expires at the end of 2020.

Scala is the last standalone movie theatre in Bangkok, located in Pathumwan district. The 1,000-seat theatre was built in 1969 and was named after Teatro alla Scala in Milan, Italy. It is owned by Apex Group that used to operate three other standalone theatres in Bangkok -- Sala Chalermthai Theatre was demolished in 1989, Siam Theatre was shut down in 2010 after being damaged in a fire, and Lido Multiplex shut down in 2018 when its contract expired.

Scala had earlier announced that it would temporarily close from March 18 until May 31 following the government order to prevent the spread of Covid-19. Among the businesses that were ordered shut were movie theatres, restaurants, massage parlours, fitness centres and others. The restriction was lifted for several businesses, including movie theatres, since June 1.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389092

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-05

• Sad 1

Ever wonder why there is no open public places in Bangkok? (Sanam Luang is an exception, but it's mostly reserved for ceremonial events.) That is because whatever free place there is the vendor would swoop in and set up shop in a millisecond. Consequently in place of public places we have impromptu flea markets. Cultural, social events happen when scheduled. Otherwise, it's a shop till you drop "culture," if you can call it that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zenwind said:

Please pardon the nostalgia of old guys like me, but we carry a heavy weight of memory.  Memories can be precious, and it’s sad to see them go.  Through the years, I have enjoyed so many wonderful movie experiences at Scala and the other Apex theaters.  Farewell. 

I feel exactly the same. What angers me is that greedy developers (a pleonasm)  are probably drooling already over this space that will most certainly be filled with another high rise or another useless mall. Another case of TIT (sigh!)!

• Like 2

On 6/5/2020 at 6:14 PM, Zenwind said:

Please pardon the nostalgia of old guys like me, but we carry a heavy weight of memory.  Memories can be precious, and it’s sad to see them go.  Through the years, I have enjoyed so many wonderful movie experiences at Scala and the other Apex theaters.  Farewell. 

For guys like you (us):

http://seatheater.blogspot.com/

This blog has ventured off to other parts of Asia, but it started out with Thai theaters so you'll need to go back to the beginning. Wonderful, wonderful history for film buffs.

Edited by watthong
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Curtain comes down on famous Thai movie theatre next month

3pm.jpg

Perhaps the most famous old movie theatre left in Bangkok will bow out on the weekend of July4th/5th. 

Scala or better known as La Scala in Siam Square in downtown Bangkok is shutting down after 51 years. 

It became known as the "Jewel in the Crown of Siam" and will shut down with special showings amid a blaze of lights in a last round known as "Final Touch of Memory". 

Its passing marks the end of an era for the Apex group that previously operated another three iconic theaters in Bangkok -  Chalerm Thai, Siam and Lido.

Chalerm Thai shut in 1989, arson during the central Bangkok unrest in 2010 hit the Siam theater and Lido closed in 2018 after its lease expired. 

Now the lease is up at La Scala too.

It was unable to continue due to the property boom in the Siam Square area and its closure due to the Covid-19 pandemic was the final nail in the coffin. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-24

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

I cannot count how many movies I saw there.  What a shame.  The decharminization of Bangkok continues.  

Me too. I shall write about it in The Week That Was on Sunday should you care to read that.

Rooster

• Thanks 1

That is really sad.  I used to love turning the corner to see what incredible handmade banners, models, full-sized tanks, monster-sized Superman, alien or space ship that they would have parked out front or strung above the parking lot on cables.  Back in the days of "sound rooms" for the non-dubbed versions.

• Like 1