Chonburi: Police admit that 21 people have disappeared without a trace in the last three years

webfact

Chonburi: Police admit that 21 people have disappeared without a trace in the last three years

7pm.jpg

Picture: INN

A crime record keeper and missing persons expert at the Royal Thai police has admitted that 21 people - 15 men and 6 women - have disappeared without a trace in Chonburi between 2017 and this year. 

INN went to talk to Maj-Gen Trairong Phiwphan after the family of "Nong Gay" raised the case of their daughter who has been missing from Laem Chabang since 2013.

The police have failed to find any trace of the lady whose real name is Pawinee Korthaisong and who was 23 when she went missing after graduating and applying for a job in Laem Chabang. 

Their own case was stirred after the exhumation of a woman called Oil who was murdered in Chonburi - another case the Thai police have failed to solve. 

Maj-Gen Trairong said that Gay's parents Wirot and Tiang contacted the Laem Chabang police in July of 2013 and in November of that year a meeting was convened with the Krajok Ngao missing persons' foundation to look into the case.

DNA was taken from the mother but no progress has been made over the years. 

Then came his revelation about the number of people missing in the province that includes the world famous resort of Pattaya.

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-05

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Wow.  That is a lot of people missing.

Very sad they cannot make progress on these cases families must be frustrated.

The males I would guess gang or drug related.

The females who knows maybe a serial killer or trafficing?

Hope they make some headway on this very disturbing story.

Well now they have your expert opinion, I'm sure they'll be able to wrap things up in no time.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

When people are buried and their identity is unknown, I wonder if a DNA sample is taken prior to burial?

If a national DNA register of deceased unidentified people was kept then it would be easy for relatives to be tested at a later date should they choose and the register to be checked.

In itself, this would probably clear up a few missing persons cases for not much money.

I mentioned in the other thread that it seems they do take a DNA sample, but if no one from the person's family has ever had their DNA tested, they'd never get a match.
That's why that girl went 6 years without being identified, because it wasn't until the Missing Persons group got a DNA sample from her mom (before they knew it was actually her mom) that they were able to get a a match.

A national DNA database and a national Missing Persons database. One would think they'd already have something like that in place, but, This Is Thailand so who knows ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Is it?

Just looked at statistics for my country (France) and see than more than 100 persons disappear every day! About 3/4 of them will be found after some time, but still 1/4 never to be found again.... about 10'000 per year ! :blink:

Some of them may have die, or been killed, but looks like there are many people who voluntarily decided to start a new life, for all kind of reasons (money, family, ...)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I thought it a fantastically  low number.  Surely its not correct there must be hundreds more than that.

The UK is about the same population as Thailand , country near to the same size.....reported missing every year 180,000......(on a good year)

180,000 people are reported missing every year in the UK, one every 90 seconds, according to figures compiled by the charity Missing People. One in 200 children will go missing, with that number standing at one in 500 for adults.

Britain's escalating missing persons problem.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/yw8eey/inside-britains-escalating-missing-persons-problem

• Like 1

1 hour ago, talahtnut said:

My mate had a terrible wife, domineering

demanding, one Saturday morning he took

her to Tescos shopping, when she came

out with several bags of goods, he was

nowhere to be found. Never been found.

For many English blokes its a good plan.

Did he leave the country?  If not, how can he sleep at night, know there is a TM30 out there with his name and address on it?   ????

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, blackcab said:

When people are buried and their identity is unknown, I wonder if a DNA sample is taken prior to burial?

If a national DNA register of deceased unidentified people was kept then it would be easy for relatives to be tested at a later date should they choose and the register to be checked.

In itself, this would probably clear up a few missing persons cases for not much money.

Should be easy for a world class police force and forensics unit such as Thailand has.

After all, they were recently boasting about finding the vaccine in very short time for Coronavirus.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, blackcab said:

I'm not sure LOS is quite ready for such radical thinking.  

• Haha 1

People lost at sea and murder 

There is about 1 % chance of then being alive

With out using an atm card a cell phone or leaving the country 

It is almost impossible to disappear without  a trace unless your trained goverment worker with access to multiple documents

19 hours ago, Kerryd said:

People who died in their homes and were buried in a back field by families that couldn't afford a proper ceremony at a temple.

You have knowledge this happen? 

Or imagine? 

Generally speaking Thai not buried the body. Cremation. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Yinn said:

You have knowledge this happen? 

Or imagine? 

Generally speaking Thai not buried the body. Cremation. 

As you said - "generally speaking".

But remember that cremation usually also means everyone knows who died, and when, and maybe how. Temples are not supposed to cremate bodies "secretly".

20 hours ago, Kerryd said:

A national DNA database and a national Missing Persons database. One would think they'd already have something like that in place, but, This Is Thailand so who knows ?

We all know... the answer is they don't.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:10 AM, webfact said:

Then came his revelation about the number of people missing in the province that includes the world famous resort of Pattaya.

Amazing Trusted Thailand! Why don't the police produce a poster showing the missing persons (if photo available) and distribute it nationwide and/or on social media. May get a "starter for ten"!!

22 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

I thought it a fantastically  low number.  Surely its not correct there must be hundreds more than that.

The UK is about the same population as Thailand , country near to the same size.....reported missing every year 180,000......(on a good year)

In Chonburi, not the entire country.

"Royal Thai police has admitted that 21 people - 15 men and 6 women - have disappeared without a trace in Chonburi"