TransferWise ever delay a payment?

I have a situation where THB was supposed to arrive about 10:00 today and at 08:44 i get "transfer sent" notification + email. 

In the past, TW has been very quick and when they say "transfer sent", the money is in the Thai bank account that minute or the next minute.  I've received money via TW to this acct several times before. 

I'm a little nervous as its been over 3 hours and nothing is showing in the bank account (bangkok bank).

I'm wondering if others have had issues of delayed payment from TW.  I'm not believing their excuse that "bank side may delay the payment".  I've never seen a situation where a domestic Thai bank transfer has been "delayed".   

Anyone else having delays receiving money with TW recently?

I have had it happen different ways. Sometimes instant, sometimes  a couple of  hours, once  next day.

The most recent was interesting in that I could not proceed to fund the transfer as the exchange rate was  going up in my favor. When it stalled a while I was able to proceed.

• Thanks 1

Depends on the amount. 

I generally find that amount under 1000 EURO's are there instant after trasnferwise puts the "sent" notification through. However, bigger amounts might take some time. Even more than one day in my case.

Also don't forget that it was a bank holiday yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As said it is normal from most countries (assume you are UK with normal instant payment?).  From USA all payments to Bangkok Bank are at 1400 or a bit after local time.  

Funded with debit card.  ACH-based funding used to be quick (next morning) but now they are quoting 3-5 day window. 

Funding by debit card is completed much faster.  I was actually shocked it would be 10:00 when they estimated the payment (normally it is 01:00 or 03:00 in morning.  Or 3-4 hours from payment.) 

But there is a big difference between "hey, there is a delay in paying you out" (which they have done in the past) and "hey, we paid you already, here is our version of a receipt. Take it to the bank and check with them." 

As I'm typing this (after sending another email to TW support that it was not received and i spoke with customer support), just got SMS that funds arrived in acct [(THB12,[email protected] - THB0.00)from abroad); very weird as that only happens when i have SWIFT transfer. But timestamp was 14:02.  Logged in and see 14:01 deposit in acct and it says International Transfer. 

I did mark the reason for transfer as being "funds for long term stay in Thailand".   I wonder if this changes how they send the funds so that it is coded differently in the account.  Normally i state "general living expenses". 

What reason are you guys stating in the "reason for transfer " section?

1 hour ago, mark5335 said:

If I do a transfer in the morning between Monday and Thursday, I typically receive the funds in my BBL account at 2:01PM. However, I have found that if I send on a Friday morning, I don't receive the funds until Monday afternoon.

Same for me.

And as written it depends on originating country and method.

Today I initiated a transfer from my TW account (Belgium) to Bangkok Bank.

Sent message from TW at 8:54.

Credited at BKB:

05 Jun 2020 14:01 International Transfer

Completely normal for me.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

What reason are you guys stating in the "reason for transfer " section?

We use the stay in Thailand reason if funds need to show FTT and be recorded as a foreign deposit.  They made that especially for us to help with immigration proof.  From USA ACH has never been instant for me - they have to wait to obtain funds, then they report sent (but if using Bangkok Bank directly it is only credited at 1400 each day).  Normally there is a longer delay for funds above 2,000 but if they receive fast the payment will be made earlier than stated.

2 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

I did mark the reason for transfer as being "funds for long term stay in Thailand".   I wonder if this changes how they send the funds so that it is coded differently in the account.  Normally i state "general living expenses".

From the UK, so different process, but for me this does give the same as you've just experienced with a longer transfer time.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/5/2020 at 2:50 PM, lopburi3 said:

We use the stay in Thailand reason if funds need to show FTT and be recorded as a foreign deposit.  They made that especially for us to help with immigration proof.  From USA ACH has never been instant for me - they have to wait to obtain funds, then they report sent (but if using Bangkok Bank directly it is only credited at 1400 each day).  Normally there is a longer delay for funds above 2,000 but if they receive fast the payment will be made earlier than stated.

Thanks. seems to have been silly to do this, but I transferred funds - purpose ''for investment''. Got a cann from BOT, when I explained I was buying stock in my bank, the Siam Commercial, a public company on the Thai Stock Exchange for retirement income purposes, they asked for a list of shareholders.  As you can imagine, the transfer was rejected.

15 hours ago, paddypower said:

Thanks. seems to have been silly to do this, but I transferred funds - purpose ''for investment''. Got a cann from BOT, when I explained I was buying stock in my bank, the Siam Commercial, a public company on the Thai Stock Exchange for retirement income purposes, they asked for a list of shareholders.  As you can imagine, the transfer was rejected.

Did you provide them with a list of shareholders?   Maybe not a complete list, but maybe just the board would have been sufficient.  There should be an "investors relations" link and then at least you can access an annual report.

Did you ask TR customer service to explain exactly what they were requesting, and why it was needed?   

2 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Did you provide them with a list of shareholders?   Maybe not a complete list, but maybe just the board would have been sufficient.  There should be an "investors relations" link and then at least you can access an annual report.

Did you ask TR customer service to explain exactly what they were requesting, and why it was needed?   

Thanks, i was caught flatfooted. they would not answer any questions that were not on their approved list of answers.  TIT.  from the transferring end,  I was advised to always state purpose as ''living expenses''.

On 6/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, lopburi3 said:

As said it is normal from most countries (assume you are UK with normal instant payment?).  From USA all payments to Bangkok Bank are at 1400 or a bit after local time.  

I am from the UK and my payments are notified around 14:00 local into my TW account in the UK and 24 hours later into my BBL account.