Toyota service charges?

Not much idea about cars (Vios) and no idea how to read Thai and the mrs is not much help. Took car in for service got a list of things that needed doing. Had the first and second done but no idea what the last is on the list and if it really needs doing, at 2x 1780 plus labour i'd rather not bother unless essential. Have an idea it's something to do with wheels, probably cheaper elsewhere but I trust Toyota not to be using Chinese copy parts

bill.jpg

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I trust Toyota not to be using Chinese copy parts

You can't be serious all main dealer car/truck makes go overboard when it comes to servicing, why !!! because they want money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob A Kneale said:

You don't need to be able to read Thai, just google the part number.

They are the front stabiliser links (anti-roll bar links) and for Toyota parts they are priced normally.  Pattern parts, maybe from China, will be cheaper and not necessarily worse but Toyota won't fit them for you. 

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/symptoms-of-bad-or-failing-stabilizer-bar-links

When the stabilizer bar links are starting to wear out, the symptoms can range from barely noticeable to significant, and if you don't have your stabilizer bar links replaced, can result in catastrophic damage to the front end of your vehicle and potentially an accident.

Thanks very much Bob, very useful

Like some have said Google the part numbers. 

The Toyota dealerships will only do basic maintenance like the list you have and are able to swap parts etc.

My Hilux service book says that the engine valve clearances need checking at 40k 80k etc however both Toyota Pattaya and Toyota Saraburi had no idea what it meant even though its there in black and white and in Thai in the service manual.  
????‍♂️

16 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Pattern parts, maybe from China, will be cheaper and not necessarily worse but Toyota won't fit them for you. 

No because Toyota have bought some parts from China and other places like Honda and other manufacturers do, wrap them up and a label them saying " Genuine Parts".

Like e.g. " Genuine Toyota oil " made by Mobil with bit extra useless additive so they can call it genuine, BS.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, misterphil said:

Like some have said Google the part numbers. 

The Toyota dealerships will only do basic maintenance like the list you have and are able to swap parts etc.

My Hilux service book says that the engine valve clearances need checking at 40k 80k etc however both Toyota Pattaya and Toyota Saraburi had no idea what it meant even though its there in black and white and in Thai in the service manual.  
????‍♂️

My 2012 Hilux has done 190,00km, been to Toyota for every service on time. Valve clearances? They cannot even rotate the wheels correctly.

But saying that, I have had no problems whatsoever with the vehicle, so will continue to fund Mr Toyota for the peace of mind. 

• Thanks 1

Had the same links replaced on my corolla, same price.

Here is the kicker.  Took my Chevy Cruze to the dealer for scheduled maint.  They found lower control arms were worn.  2x6625=13,250.  Oil cooler leaking. 1x9,257 + seals 1,200=10.457.  Spark Plugs 4x562=2248 and other defects..  Total bill for scheduled and unscheduled maint.  50,000 baht.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darksidedude said:

other way around mate labour is next to nothing at the dealerships, i have never had any unnecessary work done only work they do is as per the service schedule

Most of the time I agree. But they can have some rogue staff who will take advantage if you know nothing. At the 40000 service they conned the wife into some useless air-con additive at 1600 baht and then tried to sign her up for 4 new tires. The tires are now over 70000 and still ok.

1 hour ago, misterphil said:

Even basic maintenance is difficult for some. I've been complaining about my aircon at the 10k services for a while and got told it was due to the small aircon unit. Today I took it to a local aircon company and the reason was pretty clear (See picture). It has now been replaced and I finally have cool air.

received_1162850987384549.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

PArts are made everywhere, depending how cheap they can produce and sell as Toyota part, more profit.

Fender guitars can be made in Korea or Mexico, it's called Fender.

LEVI gets his jeans from China, then shipped to USA, labbeld in USA with red LEVI and then it is LEVI USA,

But cheap in China and with label (tagged in USA) sold for way much more. More profit.

NIKE did/do the same and even had/have children (foreign, Asian companies) working on their products. Kids are cheaper, so more profit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Darksidedude said:

other way around mate labour is next to nothing at the dealerships, i have never had any unnecessary work done only work they do is as per the service schedule

Yeah well if your happy fine, I used our local Toyota once and after what happen went to our local Cockpit outlet and never used Toyota monkey labour ever again.

Warranty requirements is BS along with the unprofessional management Toyota give franchises too.

6 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to which car manufacturers around the world produce their own oil, hydraulic fluids, tyres, brake pads, upholstery etc etc

Of course they label them with their own name as they are made to their specifications.

Do you think that Tesco Lotus produce the products sold under their name?

Try living in the real world it might help.

Thanks for the laugh, your an engineer right, I guess not.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, alien365 said:

Even basic maintenance is difficult for some. I've been complaining about my aircon at the 10k services for a while and got told it was due to the small aircon unit. Today I took it to a local aircon company and the reason was pretty clear (See picture). It has now been replaced and I finally have cool air.

received_1162850987384549.jpeg

Did they offer to clean that and reinstall it or did you just spring for a new evaporator coil? How much was the damage?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

No because Toyota have bought some parts from China and other places like Honda and other manufacturers do, wrap them up and a label them saying " Genuine Parts".

Like e.g. " Genuine Toyota oil " made by Mobil with bit extra useless additive so they can call it genuine, BS.

Toyota has several component part manufacturing facilities in China, they prolly making their own parts.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Did they offer to clean that and reinstall it or did you just spring for a new evaporator coil? How much was the damage?

They said it wasnt cleanable due to a leak so we bought new. They had two versions, a cheaper Chinese one (1k cheaper) or a denso. We bought the denso at 3,750 all in.

It's a shame the proper garage couldn't do something as simple as this, but in the end I probably saved a bit of cash and supported local at the same time.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I have had fantastic service from my local dealer in Yasothon.

I have an oil change every 20k and if they find anything else to replace they always check with you first before carrying out the work.

All empty containers/boxes etc are placed in the pickup so you can see what's been used.

You can watch the vehicle being worked on through the large glass windows from the customer lounge.

Free WiFi, coffee and sandwiches.

Free WiFi, coffee and sandwiches......nope they aint free.....and 20k miles for an oil change...goodness me your taking a huge risk there :unsure:

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

They said it wasnt cleanable due to a leak so we bought new. They had two versions, a cheaper Chinese one (1k cheaper) or a denso. We bought the denso at 3,750 all in.

It's a shame the proper garage couldn't do something as simple as this, but in the end I probably saved a bit of cash and supported local at the same time.

I guess it was leaking somewhere under that muck. Anyway, smart call on the Denso evap coil. What warranty, if any, did you get?

The proper garage (if you mean dealership) typically aren't full-service when it comes to air-con. If they need to gas a unit, they take it to the air-con shop. if the shop discovers a leak, then the dealership will tell you they can fix or repair it (while the air-con shop does the actual fix or repair) and the dealership pads the bill. Better to take anything like this to the independent shops first.

Taking these evaporators out from behind the dashboard isn't really simple but air-con shops are so familiar with it, they would know how to do it faster than any dealership.

3 hours ago, alien365 said:

Supporting local businesses is commendable but don't forget that the Toyota dealer is a franchise that is local also.   Incidentally, many of Denso's parts are made in China, it's technical centre and regional headquarters is in Shanghai and it has 22 production companies in China producing products including automotive air-conditioning systems, engine control components, fuel injection components, alternators, starters, and car navigation systems.

Your buying a Denso part generously contributed to the company's coffers to help reimburse it's $78,000,000 fine for it's massive price fixing scheme. The conspiracy, which fixed prices and allocated components to such car manufacturers as Toyota and Honda, extended from Michigan to Japan, where it was also under investigation.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What warranty, if any, did you get?

The proper garage (if you mean dealership) typically aren't full-service when it comes to air-con. If they need to gas a unit, they take it to the air-con shop. if the shop discovers a leak, then the dealership will tell you they can fix or repair it (while the air-con shop does the actual fix or repair)

I forgot to ask but they did say something about bringing it back within a year so they could have been referring to the warranty.

My dealership also missed two cracked components of my front suspension (I think they're called strut mounts). I'm seriously considering not bothering with the main dealership anymore if all they can do is oil changes.

20 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Your buying a Denso part generously contributed to the company's coffers to help reimburse it's $78,000,000 fine for it's massive price fixing scheme.

I knew nothing of this but at the end of the day I had two choices and I followed the garages recommendation. Considering how bad my aircon has been recently I felt it worth the extra few baht. It's also saved me more cash as I'm no longer going to buy the crystalline film. If I listened to the dealership I'd still have a hot car and be a further 25k out of pocket trying to solve the problem in a different way.