BANGKOK
Orton Rd

Toyota service charges?

Posted (edited)

Not much idea about cars (Vios) and no idea how to read Thai and the mrs is not much help. Took car in for service got a list of things that needed doing. Had the first and second done but no idea what the last is on the list and if it really needs doing, at 2x 1780 plus labour i'd rather not bother unless essential. Have an idea it's something to do with wheels, probably cheaper elsewhere but I trust Toyota not to be using Chinese copy parts

bill.jpg

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I trust Toyota not to be using Chinese copy parts

You can't be serious all main dealer car/truck makes go overboard when it comes to servicing, why !!! because they want money. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

deleted

Edited by Orton Rd

1 hour ago, Bob A Kneale said:

You don't need to be able to read Thai, just google the part number.

They are the front stabiliser links (anti-roll bar links) and for Toyota parts they are priced normally.  Pattern parts, maybe from China, will be cheaper and not necessarily worse but Toyota won't fit them for you. 

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/symptoms-of-bad-or-failing-stabilizer-bar-links

When the stabilizer bar links are starting to wear out, the symptoms can range from barely noticeable to significant, and if you don't have your stabilizer bar links replaced, can result in catastrophic damage to the front end of your vehicle and potentially an accident.

Thanks very much Bob, very useful

Like some have said Google the part numbers. 

The Toyota dealerships will only do basic maintenance like the list you have and are able to swap parts etc.

My Hilux service book says that the engine valve clearances need checking at 40k 80k etc however both Toyota Pattaya and Toyota Saraburi had no idea what it meant even though its there in black and white and in Thai in the service manual.  
🤦‍♂️

16 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Pattern parts, maybe from China, will be cheaper and not necessarily worse but Toyota won't fit them for you. 

No because Toyota have bought some parts from China and other places like Honda and other manufacturers do, wrap them up and a label them saying " Genuine Parts".

Like e.g. " Genuine Toyota oil " made by Mobil with bit extra useless additive so they can call it genuine, BS.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, misterphil said:

Like some have said Google the part numbers. 

The Toyota dealerships will only do basic maintenance like the list you have and are able to swap parts etc.

My Hilux service book says that the engine valve clearances need checking at 40k 80k etc however both Toyota Pattaya and Toyota Saraburi had no idea what it meant even though its there in black and white and in Thai in the service manual.  
🤦‍♂️

My 2012 Hilux has done 190,00km, been to Toyota for every service on time. Valve clearances? They cannot even rotate the wheels correctly.

But saying that, I have had no problems whatsoever with the vehicle, so will continue to fund Mr Toyota for the peace of mind. 

• Thanks 1

Had the same links replaced on my corolla, same price.

Here is the kicker.  Took my Chevy Cruze to the dealer for scheduled maint.  They found lower control arms were worn.  2x6625=13,250.  Oil cooler leaking. 1x9,257 + seals 1,200=10.457.  Spark Plugs 4x562=2248 and other defects..  Total bill for scheduled and unscheduled maint.  50,000 baht.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darksidedude said:

other way around mate labour is next to nothing at the dealerships, i have never had any unnecessary work done only work they do is as per the service schedule

Most of the time I agree. But they can have some rogue staff who will take advantage if you know nothing. At the 40000 service they conned the wife into some useless air-con additive at 1600 baht and then tried to sign her up for 4 new tires. The tires are now over 70000 and still ok.