BANGKOK
JohnBarleycorn

Before Arriving in Thailand: Did you Always believe you were CRAZY? And, Now, living in Thailand, do you know you are SANER than SANE?

Posted (edited)

Before I came to Thailand, I knew I was crazy, crazy in so many little ways, nothing major, but still crazy compared to the people I knew in my old neighborhood.  Maybe I was out of step with the culture from which I hailed. Or, maybe the place where I lived before coming to Thailand was not fit for me.

And, after coming to Thailand, I have not exhibited so many aberrant behaviors; In fact, I am sure that I am saner than I was during my past life.

These days, looking via Google at the places from whence I came, I now realize that I was not half as nutz as my old neighbors mistakenly believed.

I am actually far saner than they, just because I have escaped their insane asylum, and they are still amok in it.

Yes, for sure, the people with whom I once spent time, I now realize were mentally infirm.

These days, I enjoy my time drinking tea and communing with birds. Also, I teach on a volunteer basis for free.  I need not worry about the hot weather, nor even do I need to walk around in the noonday sun. I have a very powerful AC which protects me from the vapors.

So, what about you?

Did people judge you crazy before you left your old haunts to travel to paradise?

AND…who are the crazies now?

Take a look back at the way countries are spiraling down. Yet, here in Thailand?  Things are not only good…Things are GREAT!

I am not crazy no more.

But I am crazier than ever for Thailand!

And, inside my room at the moment….The temperature is 22 degrees C.

Burrr…….

And, my thoughts on the Wuhan Virus and social distancing?......

“The whole conviction of my life now rests upon the belief that loneliness, far from being a rare and curious phenomenon, is the central and inevitable fact of human existence.”
― Thomas Wolfe

Edited by JohnBarleycorn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

They're coming to take me away ho-ho hee-hee ha-haaa
To the funny farm
Where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see those nice young men
In their clean white coats
And they're coming to take me away ha-haaa

• Like 2

Yet, here in Thailand?  Things are not only good…Things are GREAT!

You been smoking that opium laced weed again Joh Barley Corn Cob?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, misterjames said:

I thought you were toying with the idea of going back to the states? 

Yes, you are correct.

However, after originally posting my thoughts, I received messages full of good advice advising me to reconsider any return to a life that no longer exists, even to be a hermit.

In fact, the advice that people shared with me is absolutely true.

Basically, what I have been told is that I cannot go home, again.

And also, even though my family have remained in the United States, and presumably still enjoy their lives there, yet I never enjoyed my life in the US as much as I enjoyed it in Asia.

IF I could return to the USA just as it was in 1979, then I would DEFINITELY return in a heartbeat!

But the land that I remember, the so-called land of the brave and the home of the free, is now like Atlantis, some sort of mythical land that probably never was.

I am sure that you might feel about your homeland as I do about mine, if you remain in Asia for over 40 years and 40 nights.

38 minutes ago, misterjames said:

I thought you were toying with the idea of going back to the states? 

BUT.....Yes......  I am thinking about returning to the USA.  Why?  Because I recall the natural beauty of America.  I want to see it again.  AND, AND, I would dearly love to see Maine, again, for one thing.

So....I just might return to the USA even before I expect it.

One thing is for certain, America is a very beautiful country...except for Ohio.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

BUT.....Yes......  I am thinking about returning to the USA.  Why?  Because I recall the natural beauty of America.  I want to see it again.  AND, AND, I would dearly love to see Maine, again, for one thing.

So....I just might return to the USA even before I expect it.

One thing is for certain, America is a very beautiful country...except for Ohio.

No harm in going for a visit if you want to mate and your right I do miss aspects of my home country. 

Feel free to drop me a direct message if you ever fancy a chat 👍 I think we all have these kind of thoughts at times.

• Like 1

Strange. For me it's rather the opposite. I always thought, I was sane before coming to Thailand. After being here for a while, I am actually struggling keeping my sanitary...

# sorry this meant to be sanity

• Like 2

I cant believe that my home country has changed in the last 25 years.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Having followed various posts from you over the past week or two, I am now convinced that you do not have all your marbles...... 🙂

what gave it away ??

22 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Yes, for sure, the people with whom I once spent time, I now realize were mentally infirm.

These days, I enjoy my time drinking tea and communing with birds.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Having followed various posts from you over the past week or two, I am now convinced that you do not have all your marbles...... 🙂

Who keeps their marbles?

When I was younger, I kept mine (most of which I inherited from my brother) in a tye-die draw-string bag (which I inherited from my brother). Now, I have no idea where those marbles have gone, the plain and coloured marbles, the dragons' eyes, the cats' eyes, the steelies...

I have no conkers neither.

I'm not sure marbles nor conkers would do you any good in Thailand.

SC