Wear masks in public says WHO, in update of COVID-19 advice

rooster59

Face masks are like condoms...they only work if you use them properly. Would you use the same condom 20 times, without washing it? Would you pull the condom down to cover your balls as you ejaculate (chin mask)?

It's even worse with masks as when you exhale you push the mask away from your face. Due to the airflow currents your breath blows back onto the front of the mask, along with the virus. Then you constantly touch the front of the mask to adjust it, put on and off, convert to chin mask etc...so your hands are constantly contaminated.

If used properly, in enclosed spaces like taxis, supermarkets etc, then they are a good precautionary measure IMO...if used properly.

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Finally WHO acting on what so many countries have been implementing to help control the virus.

Dr Mike Ryan in the press briefing yesterday:

"WHO has been saying for months now that we will support countries implementing broader mask use as part of a comprehensive strategy. The primary use of masks at community level are as a source of control, in other words they are mainly aimed as preventing one person giving the disease to someone else where that person is the source. Its more about protecting others if you happen to be infected."

Exactly. To be (nearly) fully protected, people need to wear FPP2 or FPP3 masks.

However, as there are asymptomatic people, standard masks are efficient at the collective level.

40 minutes ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

Face masks are like condoms...they only work if you use them properly. Would you use the same condom 20 times, without washing it? Would you pull the condom down to cover your balls as you ejaculate (chin mask)?

It's even worse with masks as when you exhale you push the mask away from your face. Due to the airflow currents your breath blows back onto the front of the mask, along with the virus. Then you constantly touch the front of the mask to adjust it, put on and off, convert to chin mask etc...so your hands are constantly contaminated.

If used properly, in enclosed spaces like taxis, supermarkets etc, then they are a good precautionary measure IMO...if used properly.

I look at some of the poor Thais , who can’t afford hiw long they ve been wearing, curios you see what rainy season does to Virus  

1 hour ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

You said: ...so your hands are constantly contaminated.   Makes no difference if they are as the virus cannot penetrate your skin. The mask/glasses face shield keep you from touching your face and transfering the virus.  It  has been proven lately that it's not that easy to pick up the virus from a surface it's mostly transmitted by breathing in droplets/mini droplits from an infected person. If you keep washing hands you don't need to worry about tranfering virus  to face.

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

As long as you don't sneeze same time as the gravy stroke.

4 hours ago, Letseng said:

Food for thought: how did Japan with 126 million ppl, many old ones, keep infection/death rates so low?

Japanese wear facemasks, don't shake hands, hug.

How has Australia kept infection rates so low when almost nobody wears a mask?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CGW said:

"IF" these masks, contrary to what many state - do indeed prevent the spread of disease and are not just for "control" where are all the bio-hazard bins for disposal? 

When the fear mongering gets to stage 23 or however long they decide to carry it on will they be blaming it on the incorrect disposal of contaminated masks and gloves, surely we should be changing clothes and masks daily and burning them to prevent reinfection! ????

Just wear them home, take them off by the straps and soak and wash them with a little bleach added, dry, then they're ready to use again.

• Thanks 1

When the non mask, non glove, non protection people are laying in

bed with Covid 19, and wonder, Oh how did I catch this virus.

They will have lots of time to think and remember the friends

who had the virus but, no symptoms, and all the places they were

at recently. They can even dwell on the fact of their attitude, and

lack of smartness, but they won't as they are stable geniuses.

It is not comfortable to wear a mask and goggles plus rubber gloves,

but it is nicer than being sick or Dead. Just a thought.

Geezer

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm totally confused because of this situation now.  Not due to the WHO changing their advice but because I can't tell what type of smile I am receiving when I meet Thais.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Just wear them home, take them off by the straps and soak and wash them with a little bleach added, dry, then they're ready to use again.

N95 masks are not reusable, a piece of useless cloth tied over your face is!

8 hours ago, Opl said:

"The Maine swab factory that Trump visited said that they will have to throw away everything produced while he was there because he didn’t wear a mask."

Don't people get bored constantly reading anti Trump propaganda? 

Fauzi seems to change his mind to suit the "agenda", 2 or 3 months ago he was against them! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRa6t_e7dgI

• Haha 1

"In public"......mask, or "social distancing" - you really don't need both!

Possibly why the UK has now mandated masks face coverings on public transport, where you CANNOT keep your distance.

Now, IMO, that DOES make sense.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

I've been wearing an N95/PM2.5 respirator-style mask since 2017 when out in public and have not had a virus or bacteria-based infection/sickness since I started wearing it full-time while out and about. This is an amazing record disease-free period for me as I used to come down with a cold very often in Bangkok and they were awful and lasted for weeks.

I have not ever worn the medical/surgical mask that I see most people wearing (depicted in the OP's image) which were not designed to protect the wearer. The ones I use were designed to protect the wearer and WILL NOT PROTECT THOSE NEAR ME since my exhaled air is not filtered in any way. I would have to wear a medical/medical masks over my respirator-style mask in order to protect those near me.

Most people not wearing the proper mask or not wearing a mask has probably contributed to the rapid expansion of the virus infections and many deaths, IMHO.

Fauci said US government held off promoting face masks because it knew shortages were so bad that even doctors couldn't get enough

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fauci-said-us-govt-held-154828784.html

Fact check: Cloth masks — homemade and not — do offer protection against COVID-19

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fact-check-cloth-masks-homemade-222429633.html

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

New forecast: 180,000 U.S. deaths of COVID-19 by October. But mask order can save 33,000

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-forecast-180000-us-deaths-of-covid-19-by-october-but-mask-order-can-save-33000/ar-BB15WkvE?li=BBnb7Kz

Tony your never never going to get the non mask wearing people to wear masks.....So no need to keep posting all the pro mask stuff.....If you love the masks then by all means wear them 24/7.......

Edited by redwood1

9 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Donald Trump clearly disagrees with face mask assessment. Maybe we should believe in Trump's take on the subject. fter all, Trump does repeatedly cite his uncle, John Trump, who was, in fact a brilliant scientist, to suggest that he shares some of that ability with his uncle. And maybe he's right. Here is something from John Trump's business partner, 

Denis Robinson:

"John Trump “was remarkably even tempered, with kindness and consideration to all, never threatening or arrogant in manner, even when under high stress,” Robinson wrote in 1985. “He was outwardly and in appearance the mildest of men, with a convincing persuasiveness, carefully marshalling his facts.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-says-he-shares-his-famed-uncles-science-genius-a-friend-says-the-uncle-would-have-been-horrified/2020/05/03/76f58726-898e-11ea-9759-6d20ba0f2c0e_story.html

How could anyone deny the resemblance?

• Haha 1