UK extends ban on evicting tenants during coronavirus outbreak

rooster59

UK extends ban on evicting tenants during coronavirus outbreak

2020-06-05T171330Z_1_LYNXMPEG541SQ_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-BRIEFING.JPG

Britain's Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick speaks at the daily COVID-19 briefing at 10 Downing Street in London, Britain May 31, 2020. Pippa Fowles/10 Downing Street/Handout via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - The British government said on Friday it would extend a ban on evicting tenants from social or private rented accommodation in England and Wales by two months to Aug. 23 due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The government said the extension, which will take the total length of the moratorium to five months, would give greater protection to millions of renters who may be experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the pandemic.

"Eviction hearings will not be heard in courts until the end of August and no-one will be evicted from their home this summer due to coronavirus," housing minister Robert Jenrick said in a statement.

The government said landlords and tenants should work together and exhaust all possible options, such as flexible payment plans, to ensure cases only end up in court as an absolute last resort.

(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-06

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Are landlords on a 'buy to let' mortgage being given a free pass too, when they can't make the repayments?

Or can the bank start repossession?

They need to suck it up. Quite happy to take the money during the good times.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

15 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

And what about the small Landlords and the tenants who don't pay?  this is crucifying them. I used to be a landlord in England and some of the tenants were just scum who ran up huge debts then disappeared. I understand the government wanting to help those who have lost jobs but subsiding their rents is the better way. The world is too soft on losers.

No-one forced them to become landlords.

They were all too happy to take the money during the good times.

If they have over leveraged themselves then that is their fault.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Tenants agreed the rent before they took possession. Don't agree?  then don't rent the place.

And the Conservative government that you voted for changed the rules regarding evictions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The government said the extension, which will take the total length of the moratorium to five months, would give greater protection to millions of renters who may be experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the pandemic.

You don't face financial difficulties because of a pandemic.

Financial difficulties start when you get fired from your job, or similar, and the landlord didn't fire you, so shouldn't be his problem.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I have never voted Conservative all my life. Not even once, but thanks for the stereotyping. I have known many small landlords, decent people, who just want a little extra income and delinquent tenants have cheated them out of thousands. I, myself, rented a couple house and one just laughed in my face and stayed for free until I went through the system to get them evicted. Why do you think that's alright? 

Apologies for the stereotyping.

Given the level that rents are it is more than a "little extra income" isnt it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

Financial difficulties start when you get fired from your job, or similar, and the landlord didn't fire you, so shouldn't be his problem.

So what do you suggest is done?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

So what do you suggest is done?

Let the people who are responsible for the situation, take care of it.

Did the landlord start the pandemic? Did he order social distancing and closing businesses? Did he cause any financial burden on his renter?

• Like 2

I am a landlord with 1 small flat in Scotland, I bought it 8 years ago when I left the UK in case I ever had to go back to live there. I don't have a mortgage but it still costs me some UK tax, maintenance etc.

I have been notified by the letting agent of the new terms that changed from evict after 3 months to after 6 months, now changed again. I have been lucky with tenants and am only on the second one now, so far everyone pays on time and annual inspections show they are taking care of my property.

I also have landlords insurance from Endsleigh and additional non payment of rent cover with the agency so I feel I am covered financially. Just hope my luck continues with good tenants and will probably sell up next year (at a large loss!).

Edited by Saltire

19 minutes ago, Susco said:

Did the landlord start the pandemic? Did he order social distancing and closing businesses? Did he cause any financial burden on his renter?

Have you been at the ‘Dickens’ again?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Susco said:

So you want the Chinese and the Conservatives to pay for it?

Good luck with that mate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

They need to suck it up. Quite happy to take the money during the good times.

So you also expect free beer in bars when they reopen, free flights, free groceries from 7-11, free food in restaurants, free 65 inch TV's from Powerbuys ..... they can all just 'suck it up'?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Susco said:

The government caused the problem, so the government should pay the rents of those who lost their jobs.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The government caused the problem, so the government should pay the rents of those who lost their jobs.

That is also what I'm saying, but some others here are of the opinion that the landlords should take the responsibility because the government fails to do so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BobBKK said:

And what about the small Landlords and the tenants who don't pay?  this is crucifying them. I used to be a landlord in England and some of the tenants were just scum who ran up huge debts then disappeared. I understand the government wanting to help those who have lost jobs but subsiding their rents is the better way. The world is too soft on losers.

See the OP and my post above.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Read the OP. It's a moratorium on eviction cases; they'll still owe the money and it will have to be paid once the crisis is over.

If they don't pay up the normal eviction processes will be gone through.

So if they don't pay after staying fee for 5 months, they get evicted, unless the government makes some new rules in August.

Must be really assuring for the landlords. NOT?

6 hours ago, Susco said:

You do face financial difficulties when you are furloughed from your job due to the pandemic and at best are receiving 80% of your income. For many on low incomes, that 80% is not enough to cover rent or mortgage, council tax etc.

Even worse for the self employed small business owner, many of whom have received nothing.

You think these families should all be made homeless; even this Tory government thinks otherwise.

This is a moratorium on evictions. The money will still have to be paid after the crisis and if it isn't the families will still be subject to an eviction order. 

• Like 2