UK extends ban on evicting tenants during coronavirus outbreak

rooster59

6 hours ago, BobBKK said:

My sympathies are not with the large landlords but Mrs. Smith down the road who has a small house left to her by her mum and she needs the 600 quid it brings in to help her invalid son. Not all landlords are unscrupulous owners of tower blocks.

What about her tenant who has had to close their small business to follow lockdown and has had no income coming in and lives with their elderly parent? How will throwing them out help Mrs. Smith?

• Like 1

Dear friends

I am a UK landlord and those of you who dislike landlords should remember that without our enormous investment, millions would have nowhere to live. We have to make a return on our investment. On occasions we would earn as much by leaving the money in a savings account and not have the hassle of bad tenants. The vast paperwork and regulations are unknown to the tenants, the cost of evictions and rent loss generally amounts to thousands of pounds which would have been used for updating facilities.

Yes there are bad landlords, but in general most comply with the laws.

There is no need to alter the eviction period as most tenants that fall on hard times can claim housing benefit from the council's.

Most evictions are the tenants own fault and would probably have been unnecessary if they had wanted to pay the rent, conciliation is always the answer.

Yours . . John N

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Apologies for the stereotyping.

Given the level that rents are it is more than a "little extra income" isnt it.

You obviously have very little knowledge about being a landlord, the expenses involved and how they are taxed. 

17 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Read the OP. It's a moratorium on eviction cases; they'll still owe the money and it will have to be paid once the crisis is over.

If they don't pay up the normal eviction processes will be gone through.

i read the op, and nowhere does it mention either of the 2 points you have posted.

but it does say '' Eviction hearings will not be heard in courts until the end of August and no-one will be evicted'' 

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The government caused the problem, so the government should pay the rents of those who lost their jobs.

3 hours ago, Susco said:

That is also what I'm saying, but some others here are of the opinion that the landlords should take the responsibility because the government fails to do so.

You expect a Tory government to pay? Hang on while I count the flock of porkers flying past my window!

Times are hard for all of us, not just private landlords. The government have not said that defaulting tenants wont have to pay, just that they wont be taken to court until after the moratorium. 

If this means that private landlords lose some income , then they are just like many small business people. The big difference, of course, being that unlike the small business people the landlords will get their money after the crisis is over!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simple1 said:

In the UK don't they have an database of bad tenants that landlords / agents access prior to renting out to an applicant? 

No but they do have a database for landlords

9 minutes ago, simple1 said:

In the UK don't they have an database of bad tenants that landlords / agents access prior to renting out to an applicant? 

You can do credit checks on people, see whether they have any previous debts , evictions , judgements against them 

7 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

You do face financial difficulties when you are furloughed from your job due to the pandemic and at best are receiving 80% of your income. For many on low incomes, that 80% is not enough to cover rent or mortgage, council tax etc.

Even worse for the self employed small business owner, many of whom have received nothing.

You missed the point of my comment. If the government hadn't FORCED the companies to cease operation, they would not have needed to furlough, or in many cases lay off employees.

9 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

You think these families should all be made homeless; even this Tory government thinks otherwise.

Of course I don't think that. The government put the families in this position, so they should clear the problem

11 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

This is a moratorium on evictions. The money will still have to be paid after the crisis and if it isn't the families will still be subject to an eviction order. 

Good luck with that. I have been a landlord in my country, long before covid existed.

In 3 years time I had to evict 3 renters, however I ever rented to 2, through the courts. It only costed me some extra money in lawyers, court and debt collector fees.

======================================================================================

And to answer your other reply to my next post, as i don't want to waste more time on it.

Tory or whatever government rules in the UK, I'm not a UK citizen, you want the landlords to take over the responsibilities of whatever government is in charge?

As for your comment, landlords get their money after the crisis is over.

You just seen that swarm of flying pigs pass by?

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

i read the op, and nowhere does it mention either of the 2 points you have posted.

but it does say '' Eviction hearings will not be heard in courts until the end of August and no-one will be evicted'' 

Exactly, so eviction hearings will be heard after the moratorium ends. But it is not up to the government to initiate such hearings, it is up to the landlord.

Of course, if the arrears have been paid there will be no need for such a hearing. 

I am a tenant. Through no fault of ours both my wife and I lost our jobs in February, so we are not furloughed we are unemployed. We are receiving JSA, but our claim for UC is still pending. Therefore we do not currently have the money to pay our rent.

Our landlord has been understanding and allowed us to defer our rent until we do start receiving the money with which to pay. But we will, of course, have to pay the arrears as well.

I am sure that most landlords would not agree with some of the comments here and have acted similarly to ours where their tenants are having difficulties due to the lockdown. I am also sure that, like mine, they expect to be paid the arrears when things return to normal and will take the appropriate action if those arrears are not paid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Susco said:

<snip>

Good luck with that. I have been a landlord in my country, long before covid existed.......

.....I'm not a UK citizen.......

So you are not a British citizen and don't live in the UK?

In which case, hardly surprising how little you know about this, UK, subject.

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

<snip>

Tory or whatever government rules in the UK.......you want the landlords to take over the responsibilities of whatever government is in charge?

No, but you want the government to take over the responsibilities of the landlords and courts.

I don't know about your country, but here in the UK debt, including rent arrears, is a matter for the courts and the courts are independent of the government. It is only at this time of crisis that the government has taken the highly unusual step of placing this moratorium. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is obvious from their posts that some members do not know what the word 'moratorium' actually means.

From Lexico, powered by Oxford dictionaries.

NOUN moratoriums, moratoria

1A temporary prohibition of an activity.

‘an indefinite moratorium on the use of drift nets’

1.1Law A legal authorization to debtors to postpone payment.

‘the debt was to be subject to a five-year moratorium’

Notice in this context it means postpone payment, not remove need for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

It is obvious from their posts that some members do not know what the word 'moratorium' actually means.

From Lexico, powered by Oxford dictionaries.

NOUN moratoriums, moratoria

1A temporary prohibition of an activity.

‘an indefinite moratorium on the use of drift nets’

1.1Law A legal authorization to debtors to postpone payment.

‘the debt was to be subject to a five-year moratorium’

Notice in this context it means postpone payment, not remove need for.

Havent they stopped ALL Court cases in the UK ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

No, but you want the government to take over the responsibilities of the landlords and courts.

It is the government that put the landlords and courts in the position they are now. So yes government should take up their responsibilities.

4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I don't know about your country, but here in the UK debt, including rent arrears, is a matter for the courts and the courts are independent of the government.

So tell me. If in the UK you take a citizen to court of a civil case, which debt is, and that citizen get convicted to pay the debt, but he doesn't have the money, what happens? Do they put him in jail.

Does the landlord not have to pay the debt collector fees upfront, as is in my country, and will get them back ONLY AFTER the tenant has paid his debts?

So tenant has no money = landlord is in it for the court and debt collector fees as well

Just now, Susco said:

Go away troll, you have been trolling, and called out for it, in each and every thread you entered with you fresh username

I am not trolling . 

If you needed to evict three tenants in three years , that shows you didn't do enough checks on their back-ground and made a bad decision by signing the contract

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Susco said:

It is the government that put the landlords and courts in the position they are now. So yes government should take up their responsibilities.

Except it isn't the government's responsibility to pay anyone's rent; it's the tenants. It isn't the government's responsibility to collect rent or take the tenant to court if they default; it's the landlords.

28 minutes ago, Susco said:

So tell me. If in the UK you take a citizen to court of a civil case, which debt is, and that citizen get convicted to pay the debt, but he doesn't have the money, what happens? Do they put him in jail.

No, if the debtor doesn't pay then the court will issue an order to seize the debtor's property up to the value of the total amount owed; including interest and all fees incurred by the creditor.

The only debts non payment of which can result in a prison sentence is non payment of income tax, VAT, council tax and other monies owed to the government, local or national. That is because non payment of these is a criminal offence, not a civil one.

35 minutes ago, Susco said:

Does the landlord not have to pay the debt collector fees upfront, as is in my country, and will get them back ONLY AFTER the tenant has paid his debts?

So tenant has no money = landlord is in it for the court and debt collector fees as well

In the UK the only time the landlord would have to pay any fees is if they lose their case in court. Otherwise their fees, the court costs, collection agents fees and, if required, the bailiffs fees are all added to the debt along with any interest and if the debt isn't paid collected by seizing goods to the total value of the debt.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 7by7 said:
51 minutes ago, Susco said:

In the UK the only time the landlord would have to pay any fees is if they lose their case in court. Otherwise their fees, the court costs, collection agents fees and, if required, the bailiffs fees are all added to the debt along with any interest and if the debt isn't paid collected by seizing goods to the total value of the debt.

As said, I'm not UK citizen, but this would surprise me very much.

In most European countries, court will collect all fees from the party who brought the case to court, and award them to recover them from the convicted party.

No, if the debtor doesn't pay then the court will issue an order to seize the debtor's property up to the value of the total amount owed; including interest and all fees incurred by the creditor.

Oh yes more court orders, to collect debts from someone who has no money, and most likely no property,otherwise he would not be a renter.

51 minutes ago, Susco said:

Except it isn't the government's responsibility to pay anyone's rent; it's the tenants. It isn't the government's responsibility to collect rent or take the tenant to court if they default; it's the landlords.

It is also not the DUTY of the government to put landlords and renters in the current position

Please don't respond again with your one sided views

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

As said, I'm not UK citizen, but this would surprise me very much.

In most European countries, court will collect all fees from the party who brought the case to court, and award them to recover them from the convicted party.

Very noticeable that you said "Most European countries," not "all!" The law is not the same in every state. Whatever it is in your country, wherever that is, does not mean it will be the same here in the UK.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Oh yes more court orders, to collect debts from someone who has no money, and most likely no property,otherwise he would not be a renter.

Maybe you are a slum landlord who rents rooms in your houses to derelicts with no money and who own just the clothes they stand up in. But here in the UK most tenants own furniture, white goods, TVs, cars, jewellery etc. Most of which, when a court order is issued,  can be seized and sold to pay of a debt. In most cases, unless the debt is exceedingly large, the car would be sufficient; unless it's very old and/or knackered.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

It is also not the DUTY of the government to put landlords and renters in the current position

The government has issued this moratorium to help both landlords and tenants. But it is obvious that you would rather tenants didn't receive this help and were ejected out onto the street. Leaving the landlords with an empty property which was yielding no income at all!

How would that help either of them?

What about the help mortgage payers are receiving? Do you consider that wrong and that their lenders should repossess the property and evict the borrowers?

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Please don't respond again with your one sided views

My views are no more one sided than yours. But as you have decided to cop out; so be it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

What about her tenant who has had to close their small business to follow lockdown and has had no income coming in and lives with their elderly parent? How will throwing them out help Mrs. Smith?

Would have thought so she could take on new tenants willing to fulfil their financial commitment i.e pay the rent.The government should step in if a person genuinely has no money to pay for housing.

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

How could that ever work with "freedom of movement "?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, kingdong said:
3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Would have thought so she could take on new tenants willing to fulfil their financial commitment i.e pay the rent.The government should step in if a person genuinely has no money to pay for housing.

Wouldn't help her previous tenant and their elderly parent she'd evicted though, would it? She would also not be receiving any rent until she did find those new tenants.

Yes, someone who has insufficient income to cover their rent can claim Universal Credit.

Some people who have been furloughed or cannot work due to the virus can claim UC; but not all. Obviously this moratorium is to help those who currently have insufficient income to pay their full rent and do not qualify for UC.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Susco said:

And if the tenant go,es bankrupt you,'re snookered.

45 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Wouldn't help her previous tenant and their elderly parent she'd evicted though, would it? She would also not be receiving any rent until she did find those new tenants.

Yes, someone who has insufficient income to cover their rent can claim Universal Credit.

Some people who have been furloughed or cannot work due to the virus can claim UC; but not all. Obviously this moratorium is to help those who currently have insufficient income to pay their full rent and do not qualify for UC.

On your first point the landlord is renting the property as a business they,'re not a charity,too many people have got into"but to let" and rely on the rent to pay the mortgage on the property,the lenders won,t be as generous to the borrower as you feel they should be to the tenant.The UK is overcrowded and this shows in the shortage of affordable housing,and last but not least there's always two sides to an argument not just yours.

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I am not trolling . 

If you needed to evict three tenants in three years , that shows you didn't do enough checks on their back-ground and made a bad decision by signing the contract

That is not necessarily the case. Many 'bad tenants' often come over as 'good tenants' to begin with then only turn bad down the road once they know the system is in their favor so they can then twist and scam as mush as possible with hardly no repercussions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

Which they do , housing benefit 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NightSky said:

That is not necessarily the case. Many 'bad tenants' often come over as 'good tenants' to begin with then only turn bad down the road once they know the system is in their favor so they can then twist and scam as mush as possible with hardly no repercussions. 

*Background checks  * Previous landlord checks * *Court order checks * *Income checks*

Landlords decision whether they are decent and honest people or not or whether they are just scammers 

• Like 1