UK extends ban on evicting tenants during coronavirus outbreak

rooster59

1 minute ago, kingdong said:

Read,em? Thought the idea was to wear them like you obviously do.

Is this a failed attempt at humour; or is your English comprehension really that poor?

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Trillian said:

I let my flat several months ago before leaving the UK for a two year secondment, the tenant, a women of 65 years had said she wanted to remain for the full term. As soon as the virus struck she wrote to say that government had told her not to work because she is a shielded person, a previous kidney transplant patient apparently. Because they were unusual times I told her she could stay in the flat and pay what she could afford until things settled down and the way forward made more clear.

The estate agent who was handling  a fully managed let wrote to say she could not afford anything so there would be no rent, the agent however still wanted their monthly fee to manage the property and the tenant. Leaving the tenant in place at zero rent meant the flat would be occupied and I would not have to pay utility bills and Council Tax so not a total loss.

Last week the agent wrote to say the tenant had moved out, no notice and the place is a mess, she's lived there virtually rent free for six months and left me with a large cleaning bill.

Not being able to evict tennats is a double edged sword, it's good for some but lousy for many, the laws designed to protect tenants have swung too far in their favour, those evil landlords must be made to pay and to suffer, apparently.

despite which, Boris says we cannot kick the tenant out.

Bond.gif1.jpg

4 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Yes, the landlord is renting the property as a business; whether they are a large corporation or a buy to let individual (most of whom have fairly large portfolios). So a moratorium on going to court and an arrangement so the arrears can be paid makes more sense than evicting the tenant and having the property empty and producing no income until a new tenant can be found.

But remember, this is not a moratorium on paying rent; it is a moratorium on going to court if the tenant cannot pay their rent. 

From the OP: "The government said landlords and tenants should work together and exhaust all possible options, such as flexible payment plans, to ensure cases only end up in court as an absolute last resort."

I don't have a mortgage; but I have seen the TV and press adverts from most mortgage lenders about how they can help borrowers with their mortgages at this time. Large corporations probably won't get such help, but individuals probably would. All the borrower has to do is talk to their lender and come  to an agreement. How come you don't know about this?

Yes, there is a shortage of affordable housing; particularly in London and the South East where I live. How is that relevant?

Yes, there are at least two sides to every argument; but it seems you object to me putting mine!

you correspondence course experts make me laugh,have you ever rented a property out ? Got a mate who do,es it and he's getting knocked all the time,going to court?complete waste of time,the tenants promise to pay back the arrears and the whole cycle resumes until you eventually evict them by which point you,'re several thousands of pounds out of pocket.

16 hours ago, 7by7 said:

If you did not want a tenant moving in and bringing their elderly parent with them, then you shouldn't have let to that person!

Like many here, you have completely missed the point.

I repeat my earlier quote from the OP: "The government said landlords and tenants should work together and exhaust all possible options, such as flexible payment plans, to ensure cases only end up in court as an absolute last resort."

So no one is saying that any arrears should not be paid. Why you and others think otherwise I have no idea; unless you didn't read the OP.

BTW, if I stay in a hotel, I don't pay until I move out. Would you let your tenants do that?

Really?  I have stayed in 100s, literally, and have always paid upfront when booking - hotels these days don't take the chance that you will skip so no idea what world you're living in. I rent out condos here and always get a deposit and rent IN ADVANCE. I think you are just arguing for the sake of it.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

despite which, Boris says we cannot kick the tenant out.

That's not what is being said at all. Have you actually read the OP?

More details in this press release from the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government

Where tenants do experience financial difficulties as a result of the pandemic, the government is clear that landlords and tenants should work together and exhaust all possible options – such as flexible payment plans which take into account a tenant’s individual circumstances – to ensure cases only end up in court as an absolute last resort.

This measure is in place to protect vulnerable tenants who, through no fault of their own, cannot afford their rent at this time due to the lockdown. It is not there to protect the feckless tenant who has no intention of paying their rent at all. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kingdong said:

you correspondence course experts make me laugh,have you ever rented a property out ? Got a mate who do,es it and he's getting knocked all the time,going to court?complete waste of time,the tenants promise to pay back the arrears and the whole cycle resumes until you eventually evict them by which point you,'re several thousands of pounds out of pocket.

Another one who hasn't read the OP. Try the link to the press release above.

Your mate may have had problems with a tenant, it does not mean that all tenants are like that; they're not.

I do actually know people who let out properties; for example friends of ours who have let their UK home while they live in Thailand and another who has over the years built up a portfolio of buy to let properties. They both use an agent to manage and let their properties. Your friend should do the same. They'll have to pay a commission, which is tax deductable, but it'll save them a lot of heartache.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 6:26 AM, rooster59 said:

The government said landlords and tenants should work together

Moron, wait till his  house gets trashed by some lowlife tenant. <deleted> is wrong with the world these days, pay the rent or  get out, no ifs buts  or ands.

8 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Really?  I have stayed in 100s, literally, and have always paid upfront when booking - hotels these days don't take the chance that you will skip so no idea what world you're living in. 

By 'here' where do you mean?

I'm talking about the UK, where my job, until recently, took me all over the UK and I stayed in many hotels and B&Bs. Always paid upon leaving.

8 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I rent out condos here and always get a deposit and rent IN ADVANCE. I think you are just arguing for the sake of it.

You used hotels as an example, not condos. Totally different.

A condo is a bit different to renting a house, flat, studio, whatever, at least in the UK; but in all these any landlord who does not obtain a deposit and rent in advance is a fool.

I am arguing because so many, yourself included, have apparently either not read the OP or failed to understand it. I suggest that you read it and also the press release linked to above.

Edited by 7by7
typos

On 6/6/2020 at 7:22 AM, BritManToo said:

Are landlords on a 'buy to let' mortgage being given a free pass too, when they can't make the repayments?

Or can the bank start repossession?

exactly!????

Just now, bodga said:

Moron, wait till his  house gets trashed by some lowlife tenant. <deleted> is wrong with the world these days, pay the rent or  get out, no ifs buts  or ands.

Another one who hasn't got the point of this measure.

It is not there to protect the people you mention; it is a temporary measure to protect those who due to the lockdown and through no fault of their own are unable to pay their rent.

As the part you quote makes clear, they are not 'let off' the rent in any way, shape or form; it will still have to be paid.

• Sad 1

On 6/6/2020 at 11:09 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s worse than that.

The Government formulates the UK’s public housing policy to protect the privately profits of BTL landlords.

Building the hundreds of thousands of affordable homes the nation needs would wipe out the BTL sector, so the hundreds of thousands of urgently needed affordable homes don’t get built.

Affordable  homes yeah right, they always throw some social  housing in with many new estates  now, I wouldnt buy a thing in one  of those  places, that social housing drags the whole  lot  down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bodga said:
On 6/6/2020 at 1:22 AM, BritManToo said:

Are landlords on a 'buy to let' mortgage being given a free pass too, when they can't make the repayments?

Or can the bank start repossession?

exactly!????

As already said, lenders have advertised that they are happy to grant repayment holidays during lockdown. All the borrower has to do is talk to their lender.

They have also been banned from evicting borrowers who cannot keep up with their repayments during lockdown.

UK lenders banned from repossessing homes amid coronavirus crisis

A guide to coronavirus mortgage payment holidays

As can be seen, these measures include buy to let mortgages.

4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

through no fault of their own

It IS their  fault, they shouldve put  money aside for a rainy  day, something many seem totally  oblivious to now. If  you cant afford a few  months rent dont rent.

• Like 2

nah tenants  will abuse it then leave with  no warning after not paying for however many months

If that has been your experience, then, like @kingdong's mate, maybe you should start to use a professional managing agent to find tenants for you!

2 minutes ago, bodga said:

It IS their  fault, they shouldve put  money aside for a rainy  day, something many seem totally  oblivious to now. If  you cant afford a few  months rent dont rent.

Is that your attitude to those who can't afford their mortgage repayments as well?

A lot of people, tenant or borrower, can just about cover their expenses each month. They don't have spare income to build up the sort of savings they'd need to cover 5 plus months rent or mortgage repayments.

Having their income cut by 20%, or even to zero, whilst on furlough means that they cannot affords their rent or mortgage. You would throw them out onto the street. Not even this Tory government would sink that low.

Before you come back with talk of foreign holidays etc., remember two things:-

1. a couple of weeks in the Costas or similar costs a lot less than 5 months rent;
  2. we are not talking about the majority here; just the small percentage who are struggling due to the lockdown.

24 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

If that has been your experience, then, like @kingdong's mate, maybe you should start to use a professional managing agent to find tenants for you!

Professional managing agent ???? there is  such a  thing?

18 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Is that your attitude to those who can't afford their mortgage repayments as well?

A lot of people, tenant or borrower, can just about cover their expenses each month. They don't have spare income to build up the sort of savings they'd need to cover 5 plus months rent or mortgage repayments.

Having their income cut by 20%, or even to zero, whilst on furlough means that they cannot affords their rent or mortgage. You would throw them out onto the street. Not even this Tory government would sink that low.

Before you come back with talk of foreign holidays etc., remember two things:-

1. a couple of weeks in the Costas or similar costs a lot less than 5 months rent;
  2. we are not talking about the majority here; just the small percentage who are struggling due to the lockdown.

My heart doesn't bleed  for them not  one  bit. I'm  probably  too  old  school for you though.

I would never  dream of  not  paying anything that's  owed to anyone and always  make contingency plans, the last thing Id  want or expect is a free  ride.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Trillian said:

I use a professional managing agent and I pay 10% for the privilege, this time around it doesn't seem to have done me any good whatsoever and we will be having words.

Then change agents.

If you want I can contact one or both of my friends and ask them who they use.

36 minutes ago, bodga said:

My heart doesn't bleed  for them not  one  bit. I'm  probably  too  old  school for you though.

I would never  dream of  not  paying anything that's  owed to anyone and always  make contingency plans, the last thing Id  want or expect is a free  ride.

34 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Well said, ditto.

How many more times does it have to be said that no one, tenant or borrower, is getting a free ride.

Read the OP, read the full press release, read the information on mortgage repayment holidays. Do that and you will see that any and all deferred payments, being they rent or mortgage repayment, will have to be paid once lockdown is over.

What is it you don't understand about that?

Edited by 7by7
Addendum

4 hours ago, 7by7 said:

What,the managing agents guarantee your rent?I had a mate moved into a flat,paid the first months rent,spent days hosing down the internal walls down,contacted the environmental health department of the local council,stopped paying his rent,it took 6 months to get him out,he moved straight into a housing association property due to his " circumstances" and the landlord got knocked for 6 months rent and thousands of pounds of repairs.

Edited by kingdong

4 hours ago, bodga said:

the last thing Id  want or expect is a free  ride.

Perhaps you wouldn,t,thousands do however,watch "can,t pay we,'ll take it away" about high court baliffs,some of their work of which is evictions,while some of the cases are sad,others are    scum leaving the landlords with thousands of pounds owing in unpaid rent,repairs,and clean up bills.

Edited by kingdong

19 hours ago, kingdong said:

What,the managing agents guarantee your rent?

No, but landlords can take out insurance which will so do. (N.B. I am using this company as an example; I am not recommending their service in any way. Many other companies offer this type of insurance.)

Like building insurance etc., the premiums are tax deductable.

A professional letting or managing agent will find and vet tenants for you, inspect and maintain the property and more, including taking action to collect arrears; see What does a letting agent do.

Obviously, the more you get the agent to do, the higher their fee; but this fee is tax deductable.

19 hours ago, kingdong said:

I had a mate moved into a flat,paid the first months rent,spent days hosing down the internal walls down,contacted the environmental health department of the local council,stopped paying his rent,it took 6 months to get him out,he moved straight into a housing association property due to his " circumstances" and the landlord got knocked for 6 months rent and thousands of pounds of repairs.

18 hours ago, kingdong said:

Perhaps you wouldn,t,thousands do however,watch "can,t pay we,'ll take it away" about high court baliffs,some of their work of which is evictions,while some of the cases are sad,others are    scum leaving the landlords with thousands of pounds owing in unpaid rent,repairs,and clean up bills.

Such people are a very small minority of tenants. If most tenants were like this then, despite a slight fall after the Tories cut some of the tax benefits, there would not be over 2.5 million private landlords in the UK; most of whom own and rent out multiple properties (source) Note that it is the tax changes which caused some to sell up and leave the sector, not difficult tenants and unpaid rents.

Also, if you bothered to read the link I gave earlier, or even just the OP, you would know that this moratorium does not protect the type of tenant to which you refer.

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

No, but landlords can take out insurance which will so do. (N.B. I am using this company as an example; I am not recommending their service in any way. Many other companies offer this type of insurance.)

Like building insurance etc., the premiums are tax deductable.

A professional letting or managing agent will find and vet tenants for you, inspect and maintain the property and more, including taking action to collect arrears; see What does a letting agent do.

Obviously, the more you get the agent to do, the higher their fee; but this fee is tax deductable.

Such people are a very small minority of tenants. If most tenants were like this then, despite a slight fall after the Tories cut some of the tax benefits, there would not be over 2.5 million private landlords in the UK; most of whom own and rent out multiple properties (source) Note that it is the tax changes which caused some to sell up and leave the sector, not difficult tenants and unpaid rents.

Also, if you bothered to read the link I gave earlier, or even just the OP, you would know that this moratorium does not protect the type of tenant to which you refer.

Rose tinted spectacles alert.

On 6/9/2020 at 1:09 PM, kingdong said:

Rose tinted spectacles alert.

Not surprising that as the facts have destroyed all of what passed for your arguments this is the best riposte you can come up with.

48 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Against someone of your intellect,yes

Thanks for the admission my intellect defeats your arguments so you have to resort to childish ripostes.

I won't be responding again unless you can produce a real argument with which to counter the facts.