Goodbye Dukes - Hello Fat Chow

TheAppletons

18 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Aggressive Chinese expansionist program!

Next to McDonald's! 

Birds of a Feather...

No difference, whatsoever. Making profits by stuffing junk down peoples throats!

(I wonder, which is better out of the two)

Edited by ravip
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Yes, its the insidious creep of the CPC。

Dear God..............

They are taking over. No doubt about that. And why not? They are the next superpower. They can do whatever they want; just like the present one.

Just warming up.

• Like 1

I am humbled to realize the global geopolitical-economic implications of a closing of a branch restaurant of a very successful enterprise in Chiang Mai run by an American ... almost certainly done for logical economic reasons related to virus caused economic downturn, and/or low season, or, or rent-hike, or, whatever ... ... by a nominally Chinese eatery.

I can see now how the aggressive power plays by China in Africa are the cause of so much stress in my daily life in Chiang Mai.

The clever trick of Fat Chow in offering traditional Kao Soi on the menu is exactly what the Chinese did in their un-repayable loan power-grab in Sri Lanka.

gong xi fa cai ("happy new year") as spoken in mainland China, where gung hey fat choy (Hong Kong dialect) is considered a degrading reminder of colonial adventurism, looting, destroying an entire society with cheap opium, etc.

You can get such a great education on this forum !

~o37;

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

In the bottom photo on the sign on the lamppost, is that Thai or Hebrew written ?

hebrew. many israeli businesses around that area. also shabath house on chang klang a bit further up.

Actually, if it is related to Fat Chow in Bali, the place is really good.  I think it is the same.  Asian not just Chinese.

Enlarge the menu in the photo the food looks decent.

Good Vietnamese sandwiches.

Dukes? The same is happening in Pattaya the western places with large portions are mostly going away.

Edited by bkk6060

1 hour ago, Rotweiler said:

Dukes gone from downtown?  Oh my.   According to their website, the location is still open and functioning.  Guess their webmaster didn't get the memo

What about the other locations?  They going too?

Just called Dukes Promenada -- loud crowd noise, as they're now back to sitdown vice only carryout. No plan to close like their cousin on Chang Klan, the nice lady said. So, good American rib eyes and New York cut, for only 1400 baht (gag), still available.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Aggressive Chinese expansionist program!

4 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Whose insiduous investments now give them the control of many African countries.

Hell's bells, its a bloody snack bar!

No wonder you lot see reds under the bed everywhere.

Edited by Traubert
Idiocy

10 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Just called Dukes Promenada -- loud crowd noise, as they're now back to sitdown vice only carryout. No plan to close like their cousin on Chang Klan, the nice lady said. So, good American rib eyes and New York cut, for only 1400 baht (gag), still available.....

And carrot cake!

4 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

In the bottom photo on the sign on the lamppost, is that Thai or Hebrew written ?

It is Hebrew. It literally says Travel Centre Thailand, which in advertising terms means Tourist Information Centre/A place you can book tours, etc for Thailand. In Hebew it is המרכז למטייל תאילנד

• Like 1

It's a real shame that no one, even a foreigner, understands the basics of good Chinese cuisine, street food included. All these dishes pictured are some "fusion" mess that retains none of the spirit or flavor of either source.

And only 195 baht for padthai goong? Wonderful. Sixty baht for "Garlic fried rice"? What a bargain. 

At least no Chinese will want to go eat there, that's a cinch. 

Spend one hour at the Shilin Night Market in Taipei and you'll know what I'm talking about. The first person to open a place serving these foods and dishes ought to not only get an award, but probably a fortune in customers. 

• Like 1