Goodbye Dukes - Hello Fat Chow

TheAppletons

You guys are funny sorry to break it to you but this is still owned by Dave he is changing up for a different look. One of his long running supervisors will be running the show. She left a few years ago to open her own shop in Sansai, but gave it up. She was at the Dukes Phuket but that is now gone and Am will be running Fat Chows. Sorry boys no Chinese take over here. Funny

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, moe666 said:

You guys are funny sorry to break it to you but this is still owned by Dave he is changing up for a different look. One of his long running supervisors will be running the show. She left a few years ago to open her own shop in Sansai, but gave it up. She was at the Dukes Phuket but that is now gone and Am will be running Fat Chows. Sorry boys no Chinese take over here. Funny

Really?  Did Dave ever own any of them?  Old story was he had  a part interest but not so much to say he owned.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

I read the name and instantly got happy as maybe they had some USA Western Style Chinese food. But then saw the menu and saw the whatever they are serving. I crave Western Chinese food.

Yeah I was disappointed as I was wanting to see some Wuhan bat soup on the menu...  ????

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Trujillo said:

It's a real shame that no one, even a foreigner, understands the basics of good Chinese cuisine, street food included. All these dishes pictured are some "fusion" mess that retains none of the spirit or flavor of either source.

And only 195 baht for padthai goong? Wonderful. Sixty baht for "Garlic fried rice"? What a bargain. 

At least no Chinese will want to go eat there, that's a cinch. 

Spend one hour at the Shilin Night Market in Taipei and you'll know what I'm talking about. The first person to open a place serving these foods and dishes ought to not only get an award, but probably a fortune in customers. 

It depends on the quality. Once I was invited out to dinner at a very nice place in Bangkok and pad Thai goong was 1,500 Baht per plate. It had 3 large grilled river prawns that were each the size of my foot! So yes, a Styrofoam box on the streets of Chiang Mai with one or two shrimp from a frozen bag from Makro could set you back 40 Baht. Maybe the pad thai on offer in the above-mentioned establishment at 195 Baht is somewhere in the middle?

16 hours ago, moe666 said:

There is so much speculation and false information on these threads and also on FB about the Duke's. I spoke with Dave a few days ago. Not much has changed other than some re-branding. The COVID-19 situation was a killer on many Phuket restaurants including the Duke's.

38 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Not much has changed other than some re-branding. 

Western themed to Chinese is what I call a total make-over, not re-branding.

I suppose they will continue to serve pizzas but the toppings will be rice and chow mein. 

On 6/6/2020 at 1:14 AM, moe666 said:

Surprised as I thought Dave sold off majority Duke shares to Thai owners back around 2015-2016

The Duke's at Maya has printed new menus (with the same items) but raised the prices, by a fair whack. 

Leave it to the Thais; when business is bad, raise the prices -- that will get the money coming back in....   ????

(expletive + ing different expletive + s)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theDukes said:

Only raised prices by 3%. We've had the same prices for 4 years. In this menu we included the VAT. Now prices on the menu are net prices. 

Don't you mean gross since it includes VAT?

And did you subsume the Service Charge into the menu price of the items leaving tipping an optional extra?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, theDukes said:

The net price of a product or service is the actual price that customers pay for the product or service. It is the final number after trade discounts are subtracted from the list price.”

Gross or Net you get the idea. 

We only do service charge on large parties. Otherwise it is up to you and I’m guessing you’re a very generous person. 

Hmm, I expected a different answer from you!

"Gross: the Gross price is the price including VAT. Also called "inc VAT". Nett: the Nett price is the price excluding VAT. Also called "ex VAT" or "Net".

http://www.vatcalculatorplus.com/Calculate-VAT.html#:~:text=Gross%3A the Gross price is,VAT" or "Net".

Edited by Trillian

56 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Hmm, I expected a different answer from you!

"Gross: the Gross price is the price including VAT. Also called "inc VAT". Nett: the Nett price is the price excluding VAT. Also called "ex VAT" or "Net".

http://www.vatcalculatorplus.com/Calculate-VAT.html#:~:text=Gross%3A the Gross price is,VAT" or "Net".

Net price is what the customer actually pays.

29 minutes ago, fcgprg said:

Net price is what the customer actually pays.

So what, the customer doesn't pay VAT, really?

VAT is 7% in Thailand, on the Dukes menu it is shown as government tax which will be added to the bill.

Edited by Trillian

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

See the source image

The SIGN is over the upstairs. Doesn't mean Dukes was up there. Far as I remember the only thing open upstairs was the toilets.

Has any poster on here ever eaten at Dukes upstairs? I certainly didn't and I did eat there.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The SIGN is over the upstairs. Doesn't mean Dukes was up there. Far as I remember the only thing open upstairs was the toilets.

Has any poster on here ever eaten at Dukes upstairs? I certainly didn't and I did eat there.

DSCF5468.JPG

Upstairs entrance

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There was always a second level within the restaurant. The stairs to access the second level was inside the restaurant in the far right corner.

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

DSCF5468.JPG

Upstairs entrance

I never knew that door existed. Is it the same second level as they always had or is this a new location?

NOTE: I've always ventured into the main door out front on the first level and took the inside stairs to get to the second floor area.

• Like 1

Just now, dingdongrb said:

There was always a second level within the restaurant. The stairs to access the second level was inside the restaurant in the far right corner.

Thanks for that. It wasn't obvious though as I always preferred to eat upstairs in any establishment offering the option.

However, I think that we can assume that there is no longer a Dukes upstairs.

I always went in the exterior door upstairs and never have vat added to my bill but a friend who eats downstairs showed me his bill with vat added.  So net or gross upstairs or down it is more than a little tricky.  

How much is the Fat Chow khao soi really?

26 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

I always went in the exterior door upstairs and never have vat added to my bill but a friend who eats downstairs showed me his bill with vat added.  So net or gross upstairs or down it is more than a little tricky.  

I'm pretty certain you would have had governement tax added which is the other name for VAT.

7 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Is 135 baht for the usual 40-50 baht khao soi......but is still 20 baht cheaper than S&P 155 baht khao soi.

IMG_1922.jpeg.417968b4214bc41d2129bf8d719acc17.jpeg

1591782711560@2x.jpg

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2020 at 8:33 AM, ravip said:

Next to McDonald's! 

Birds of a Feather...

No difference, whatsoever. Making profits by stuffing junk down peoples throats!

(I wonder, which is better out of the two)

There was a distinct difference between the two. That particular Dukes sold food you could eat and enjoy.

The other outlets paled in significance.

Guess the new outlet sells what the name suggests.

On 6/9/2020 at 3:35 PM, theDukes said:

Only raised prices by 3%. We've had the same prices for 4 years. In this menu we included the VAT. Now prices on the menu are net prices. 

Just wanted to say that you guys were one of my 3 favorite restaurants in CM when I lived there.  I saw that you used to have a branch at Emporium in BKK (not the best choice of locations IMHO) and I would be thrilled if you considered giving it another try in the Phra Khanong/On Nut area.  If the prices are kept at the same level as Chiang Mai, I think you would clean up.

• Haha 1