Goodbye Dukes - Hello Fat Chow

TheAppletons

It has been pointed out to me that in these ... particular times, naming a Chinese restaurant "Fat Chow" is about as stereo-typically racist as you could come by. 

Not that the Thais give a fig about racism, but there you go. 

By the way, did you just call me fat? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I myself don't care about offending or being racist. Adults know that words are only that. But some find certain things triggering. 

Out of the thousands of Romanizations you could come up with, Fat Chow is both silly (fat person -- hey, it's the "laughing Buddha" -- eating chow, haha, get it?) and, for some, a stereotypical attempt to be funny that isn't. 

And although I speak Mandarin, I and 99% of people looking at the name would have no idea what Fat Chow "really" means (my guess is the one who named it wasn't concerned about the native meaning, but rather how it sounds Romanized). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Trujillo said:

It has been pointed out to me that in these ... particular times, naming a Chinese restaurant "Fat Chow" is about as stereo-typically racist as you could come by. 

Who said it was a Chinese restaurant?  The menu board shown does not look particularly Chinese.

23 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Thank you for this woke reminder, clearly you are a better person than the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not woke. 

I may be a better person than you, but I can't say since I have never met you. 

As I said, someone else pointed this out to me. My personal feeling is that it's shtick and corny. 

Okay, "Original Asian Kitchen" is the tag line. But the name is an attempt at an amusing Chinese moniker. Anyone seeing the sign would conclude it was Chinese. The font alone tells you that. 

I hope the food is good and it stays open because of it. Or I hope it's a miserable failure and we can try something else. Win win situation. Oh wait, is "win win" okay to say? 

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 4:29 PM, CorpusChristie said:

Fat Chows has a soft opening on January 13 th .

If you prefer a hard opening, you will have to wait a bit longer 

It doesnt state when the soft opening will become hard 

DSCF5509.JPG

Opened............................and closed again until October 1 st

And Burger king opposite has now gone as well 

53 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Opened............................and closed again until October 1 st

And Burger king opposite has now gone as well 

Burger King? I think you mean Mickey D's(McDonald's)

(Some might not think it but there's a difference...  ???? )

I talked to one of the employees at another Duke's location who used to work at the Night Bazaar store.  She said, as was previously mentioned here, the idea was to 'try something different'.  Fat Chow was only open for 3 days during which time they got NO customers.

I guess we'll see when the business outlook looks better again whether it reopens as Fat Chow, Duke's, or....

There is a new Duke's going in, apparently, behind what is called, "Mini Gym" on the ring road past Salsa Kitchen. 

There is a "Coming Soon" sign. Not sure how long it's been there, but just noticed it the other day. Here's the location:

dukes.png.13e367baf509fc8e51b57a5188b59fb4.png

I did look at Duke's Chow, but frankly, the menu didn't wow me. I sort of felt sorry for the staff. They were all locked and loaded and ready to go....

Edited by Trujillo

4 hours ago, MMan said:

I talked to one of the employees at another Duke's location who used to work at the Night Bazaar store.  She said, as was previously mentioned here, the idea was to 'try something different'.  Fat Chow was only open for 3 days during which time they got NO customers.

I guess we'll see when the business outlook looks better again whether it reopens as Fat Chow, Duke's, or....

It will open again on 1 October as Fat Chow. Many business (restaurants, spas, resorts, shops etc.) are now postponing opening from 1 August to 1 October. We have been seeing the new signs up all over the city and beyond. Also many staff are still in Myanmar and Cambodia planning to get back in which is a big hurdle to overcome with respect to Covid-19 insurance (3 million THB), quarantine expenses, etc. A friend on Koh Chang has decided that she will have to spring for the insurance policies and quarantine costs of around 5 key staff before she is able to reopen her resort. She estimates it will cost her around 350K to get 1/2 the staff back.

Edited by elektrified

13 hours ago, Trujillo said:

There is a new Duke's going in, apparently, behind what is called, "Mini Gym" on the ring road past Salsa Kitchen. 

There is a "Coming Soon" sign.

Time to get over there and get in line.  Do not want to miss a meal and may not be open long.

Thanks so much for providing this vital information from your drive about inspections of CM.

10 hours ago, elektrified said:

A friend on Koh Chang has decided that she will have to spring for the insurance policies and quarantine costs of around 5 key staff before she is able to reopen her resort. She estimates it will cost her around 350K to get 1/2 the staff back.

That is quite a hit.  Probably would have been cheaper if she had kept them here and paid them for not working or half working but no way to fortell that.

2 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

That is quite a hit.  Probably would have been cheaper if she had kept them here and paid them for not working or half working but no way to fortell that.

Why not just hire and train new staff as I am sure there are many that are looking for work.

27 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Why not just hire and train new staff as I am sure there are many that are looking for work.

Right frugg loyalty.  Well trained experienced trustworthy staff are really easy to find.  I am sure you know that from your infinite experience.  Staff is staff, all interchangeable just like machines.  Yes that is the way to run a business here.

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Right frugg loyalty.  Well trained experienced trustworthy staff are really easy to find.  I am sure you know that from your infinite experience.  Staff is staff, all interchangeable just like machines.  Yes that is the way to run a business here.

Loyalty from a company is a thing of the past and died decades ago.

If monkeys can be trained to climb a tree and fetch coconuts then I am sure that cooks and wait staff can be trained just as easily. If not then bring in the next wave of applicants as I'm sure there's a long line of them.