Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Former PTT boss tipped to become THAI president


Recommended Posts

Former PTT boss tipped to become THAI president

By THE NATION

 

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4sJbrkm4sVeJV9Vt3jHJwb8zjmolH0QU94yrQm.jpg

 

Chansin Treenuchagron, a newly appointed board member of Thai Airways International (THAI), is reportedly being tipped to become the new acting president of the carrier.

 

 

However, Chansin, who was appointed to the board on June 4, has denied being approached to take the job. He said that if he were to be offered the post, he would have to consider the offer carefully before making any decision.

 

Chansin is a former president of PTT. The current acting president of THAI is Chakkrit Parapuntakul.

 

The national carrier is currently undergoing bankruptcy restructuring.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30389116

 

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-06
 
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mighty said:

Shouldn't they be looking for an experienced veteran of the airline industry?

Absolutely, but most of them that were successful would be farang. I think the boss of Cathay is retired/retiring. Although he probably doesn't want or need the hassle.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Thai Airways truly is a lost cause when even now - as the airline is undergoing "restructuring" - people are still sitting on (or are appointed to) its board who have absolutely nothing to do with the aviation industry. It's like making a tailor chairman of the blacksmith association. 

IIRC the guy who turned around JAL a decade or so ago had no previous aviation experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im "supposed" to be flying with them (LHR-BKK and return Sept.-Dec. this year....., my flight hasnt been "cancelled "...yet!.

I dont suppose I will get any refund if it is cancelled.........Hey ho! Maybe in the new year Thailand will be a place for me to visit.....hopefully!

Edited by welshguy
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, colinneil said:

His first thought about being tipped to become President of Thai airways was probably...... Whats in it for me.

Shouldn't that be anyone's first thought?

 

It's a hard job running a business, let alone one that has been mismanaged for an extended period of time. He's not running a charity or doing it out of the kindness of his heart.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mighty said:

Shouldn't they be looking for an experienced veteran of the airline industry?

They should be looking for several, especially those that have helped airlines get out of serious financial difficulties before.

 

Unfortunately that is not the way Thai businesses operate and they must maintain control because it is a money maker and a popularity contest for them. 

 

This is the kind of role that demands a person that will make really harsh decisions that affect peoples' income and lives. The kind of person that will be deeply unpopular with the staff simply because he will not cowtow to cultural conformity or the whims of the middle management.

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They should be looking for several, especially those that have helped airlines get out of serious financial difficulties before.

 

Unfortunately that is not the way Thai businesses operate and they must maintain control because it is a money maker and a popularity contest for them. 

 

This is the kind of role that demands a person that will make really harsh decisions that affect peoples' income and lives. The kind of person that will be deeply unpopular with the staff simply because he will not cowtow to cultural conformity or the whims of the middle management.

Well that NEVER happens in Thailand! How many non thai CEOs in the land of deference and irrationality?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Thai Airways truly is a lost cause when even now - as the airline is undergoing "restructuring" - people are still sitting on (or are appointed to) its board who have absolutely nothing to do with the aviation industry. It's like making a tailor chairman of the blacksmith association. 

Or asking moles about the habits of skylarks as someone quite memorably put it ..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well.....giving the Thai Airway presidency to a guy that runs a gas station kind of fits the bill.....but he would definitely be better than the past few dregs they've had!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

However, Chansin, who was appointed to the board on June 4, has denied being approached to take the job. He said that if he were to be offered the post, he would have to consider the offer carefully before making any decision.

 

Under the table.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pixelaoffy said:

Well that NEVER happens in Thailand! How many non thai CEOs in the land of deference and irrationality?

You have never heard of Bill Heinecke?

 

I am another, however much less well known.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, colinneil said:

His first thought about being tipped to become President of Thai airways was probably...... Whats in it for me.

Possibly making sure the airline's aviation fuel is supplied by PTT for starters???

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a banana republic. There seem to be only a handful of people in Thailand that just do "business". Any kind of business. Oil, airlines, whatever. These super Thais can run any kind of business. They are so talented. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they do not get an overseas specialist (we know there is not one here) at operating a large International Airline I fear they are gone.

What's with this Thai thing that the saviour has to be one of the boys still or again.

Slow learners.

He may be a good business man but being an Executive in a "manufacturing process" which because of it's nature can hardly not make a profit is a vastly different thing to running a successful International 

Airline with so many more facets.

Finally, is it not up to the receiver to make this appointment, what has the Government of the day got to do with it, now ??

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, steevjee said:

Think I can kiss my THB 14250 refund from a cancelled flight goodbye, I applied for it over a month ago but not 1 word of reply. If I dont get it I'll walk before I ever fly with Thai or Thai Smile again.

180 days is their estimated turnaround for refunds due to cancellations of flights.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Absolutely, but most of them that were successful would be farang. I think the boss of Cathay is retired/retiring. Although he probably doesn't want or need the hassle.

Any foreigner that finds 'issues' may 'disappear.'

 

This is not a job for any1 other than a Thai.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...