Speed trap on Way to Bangkok

Wandr

I've driven many times through those parts over the years. There's always been speed traps before and after Nakhon Sawan. The wife is pretty good on talking the police out of writing me up for a few hundred baht. 

Speed cameras are becoming more common, those tickets go on your record. Best to keep it around 100 and 110.  

Edited by prism
  • Confused 1

I've not driven at more than 70km an hour since Mildred was born.

Got a few fines for other stuff though:

Driving without a shirt on (guilty).

Going through red light (debatable).

Driving in bus lane (guilty).

Having 'halogen' lights fitted to the bull-bars (guilty)

No seat belt (wife; guilty).

Not having the appropriate driving licence (debatable).

Not stopping when a BinB ordered me to (guilty).

Brake light not working (guilty)

Speeding (12 years ago, guilty).

I've put plenty of dosh into the police fund. Only once did I get a receipt.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

That's news to me. The presence of several cameras on the stretch between Bang Pa-in and Nakorn Sawan has been well known for many years. Up until a few years ago, it was mainly limited to one or two mobile cameras but now there are at least 3-4 fixed ones in place. Also one mobile one in Ang Thong province; easy to avoid, you can bypass it by using local roads for 2-3km and then go back to the highway after the checkpoint.

However, north of Nakorn Sawan I've never encountered issues. That's when I would ironically go faster despite being down to just 2 lanes in each direction (it's 3-4 before Nakorn Sawan). Sounds like they're putting in more speed cameras all over the place. Welcome to the nanny state.

5 hours ago, Wandr said:

I guess all of you live your lives at 80 km an hour.  I feel  sorry for you...you are the rear view mirror people.

Some of us prefer a faster pace and pay the occasional 500 baht. And look back at people plodding along and say stupid you.

The important takeaway is that they allow latitude until 110 km, and that there is an active trap at that spot now.

Bye bye, rear view people!

I'm often able to talk my way out of a fine at those roadside checkpoints, but they're being replaced by those annoying fixed speed cameras that are actually pretty rare over in the USA. Sounds like Thailand is turning itself into Australia, with the way they're putting up speed cameras everywhere, but they fail to do anything about the real dangers on the roads, like people driving far too slow on an expressway, motorcyclists driving against the flow of traffic and drivers zig zagging in and out of traffic even if they're not exceeding the posted speed limit.

This myopic insistence on cracking down on speedsters does very little to make roads safer. It's just revenue raising.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wandr said:

I guess all of you live your lives at 80 km an hour.  I feel  sorry for you...you are the rear view mirror people.

Some of us prefer a faster pace and pay the occasional 500 baht. And look back at people plodding along and say stupid you.

The important takeaway is that they allow latitude until 110 km, and that there is an active trap at that spot now.

Bye bye, rear view people!

I shall watch out for you making a comment about 'stupid Thai drivers' when the next speed related accident is reported on TVF.

6 hours ago, Wandr said:

Some of us prefer a faster pace and pay the occasional 500 baht. And look back at people plodding along and say stupid you. //

One day you way lost a friend or family member because another driver decided - as you do - that speed limitations don't apply to him...

Then maybe you will understand who of us is stupid ! :jap:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, prism said:

I've driven many times through those parts over the years. There's always been speed traps before and after Nakhon Sawan. The wife is pretty good on talking the police out of writing me up for a few hundred baht. 

Speed cameras are becoming more common, those tickets go on your record. Best to keep it around 100 and 110.  

Is it proven that tickets go on your record? And if infact yes are points given?

always carry a bag of small coins for when i get stopped for speeding. Tip them out on the table to pay the fine, Really pisses them off

Same as when stopped, .They say you speeding, i say no and close the window. Wait till he produces a photo, then take my time examining it before handing it back . If table for payment is across the road, always make him stand in the road, stop the traffic before i will cross, again, this seems to upset them a little

Points for speeding now ??? Since when and how ? Never had any, never seen any, never told by police about any.

All tickets through the post get filed under my desk, , "pending payment " 

• Sad 1

OP must be a new driver in Thailand as speed traps have been in use all across Thailand for years now, every city even in Issan. There are signs of a camera with a speed limit on it at most highways these days. If you follow the rule and stop speeding you wont get fined.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I shall watch out for you making a comment about 'stupid Thai drivers' when the next speed related accident is reported on TVF.

aren't all motor accidents "speed related", with many of them due to slow drivers too ?

Driving to suit the road conditions is the correct way, which can be at a fast speed, but perfectly safe if roads quiet, not crawling along hogging the road, forming a rolling roadblock, which so many Thais seem to do 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

aren't all motor accidents "speed related", with many of them due to slow drivers too ?

Driving to suit the road conditions is the correct way, which can be at a fast speed, but perfectly safe if roads quiet, not crawling along hogging the road, forming a rolling roadblock, which so many Thais seem to do 

I'm 74 and been driving and riding all my adult life. Please don't lecture me on what is and is not safe on the roads.

• Sad 1