Speed trap on Way to Bangkok

Wandr

On 6/6/2020 at 7:35 PM, Moonlover said:

I'm 74 and been driving and riding all my adult life. Please don't lecture me on what is and is not safe on the roads.

Are you the one in front who always wears a hat in the car?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

police pickup in the median half hidden behind a concrete barrier around km 108,

That's par for what they have been doing for years now.

On Hwy 24 heading towards Surin they park down in a path hidden by the sugarcane fields.

15 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Bummer you weren't caught in the same providence or else you wouldn't have had to pay that second one..... You can only receive one ticket a day for speeding (non-camera) within the same providence. I was told that years ago by a Thai friend and disbelieved it until it personally happened to me a few years back in Surin.

I was caught, ticketed, and paid the fine on the spot, then caught again about 10 km down the road. I showed that officer my previous ticket and he then just waved me on.

Er Yes, Nakhorn Sawan and Lampang are different provinces and one was going south the other heading north about 6 weeks later.

Bummer for sure. My problem is I tend to stay in the flow of traffic, hence the dozen or so caught with me on way south, no idea how many where caught when I was driving north as that was a camera and letter.

john

On 6/6/2020 at 12:35 PM, Moonlover said:
On 6/6/2020 at 11:59 AM, Joinaman said:

aren't all motor accidents "speed related", with many of them due to slow drivers too ?

Driving to suit the road conditions is the correct way, which can be at a fast speed, but perfectly safe if roads quiet, not crawling along hogging the road, forming a rolling roadblock, which so many Thais seem to do 

I'm 74 and been driving and riding all my adult life. Please don't lecture me on what is and is not safe on the roads.

The length of time someone has been driving doesn't mean they are a safe driver, it just means they've been driving for a long time - I know people the same age as you [Moonlover] who are awful drivers, some are excellent. Some who would say don't lecture me on driving (if I were to mention it), others who would thank me for some advise because they are not arrogant enough to think that they are not too old to still learn something.

Joinaman makes a valid point: Those driving too slow and lane hogging can also cause accidents as those behind become frustrated and ultimately take chances, its just human nature. Of course, that shouldn't happen, but we do not live in a perfect world and have to recognise that - hence speed restrictions, but also some 'intelligent' nations have minimum speed restrictions on some roads too.

Driving to suit the road conditions (road type, size, quality traffic etc) and with intelligent balance would be best - but as this thread already shows everyone's balance is different.

Once thing is for sure - when it comes to driving, everyone thinks they are better than everyone else.

I'm now a <deleted> driver. Cars are fancy, they have driver aids (blind spot alert, lane assist, radar cruse control etc etc)... I used to be much more alert when driving. Perhaps driving in Thailand has numbed me to the risks and idiocy around me - its just another day on the roads these days. I can't even be bothered to drive these days and get my Wife to drive most of the time !!!!...

Put me in a Go-Kart though, and I think I'm better than everyone else !! (of course I'm not). So, driving on roads, more years, more experience, those who evaluate different situations differently... its doesn't really matter - we're all kept to the lowest common denominator which is speed - but that common denominator should also be intelligently set.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Driving to suit the road conditions (road type, size, quality traffic etc) and with intelligent balance would be best - but as this thread already shows everyone's balance is different.

You forgot to add, weather conditions. (But could be construed as 'road type'.) If raining or foggy (here in Thailand) as well as snow and ice (western countries) speed should also be adjusted as needed.

I always smiled when in the USA and seeing 4x4 trucks/SUVs in the ditch on those snowy/icy roads. Many of those vehicle owners always think they are immune since 'I have 4-wheel drive'...   ????

There are many things that annoy me with driving in Thailand but I've been willing to accept it as well as look for it most of the time. However the one thing that annoys the <deleted> out of me is how many drivers cut across the lane when making a turn or going around a curve in the road. Are people really that lazy that they cannot turn the steering wheel properly?  Arghhhhhhh!!!

41 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

There are many things that annoy me with driving in Thailand but I've been willing to accept it as well as look for it most of the time. However the one thing that annoys the <deleted> out of me is how many drivers cut across the lane when making a turn or going around a curve in the road. Are people really that lazy that they cannot turn the steering wheel properly?  Arghhhhhhh!!!

Yup, most of the time, when leaving my house, I have to turn left onto a busy frontage road, the cars turning right ( onto the road I am leaving ) cut a huge chunk of the corner and often I am faced head to head with an oncoming car !! 

Mc’s do this frequently also but they then have the option which side of my car to go round !! usually 50% to the right and 50% to the left !!

Thanks for this. Was not pulled over but I'll be surprised if I do not get a couple of fines in the mail. The natural speed on the road seems to be about 110. BKK's limit of 120 seems reasonable. Enforcing 90 seems excessive.

3 hours ago, niebla said:

Thanks for this. Was not pulled over but I'll be surprised if I do not get a couple of fines in the mail. The natural speed on the road seems to be about 110. BKK's limit of 120 seems reasonable. Enforcing 90 seems excessive.

Don't expect them to come in the mail soon.... As I posted earlier, I got two on Jan 8th and one was received early March while the other a week later.