The Chiang Mai/Hong Kong Tinder Scam

SamSanuk

Been swiping with Tinder for years. Met some nice ladies through the app.

But there is a small fairly transparent scam currently running: an attractive woman swipes right on your picture. Usually in her 20’s , with Chinese writing. Says she is from Hong Kong but currently living (stuck) in CM, fashion designer, jewelry designer, something like that. Wants to talk on LINE or WhatsApp. Once there will make innocuous small talk (mine likes badminton!) and then ask if you like stocks in the next sentence.

No biggie. When you call them out, they are quickly done with you. Mine deleted me in a nanosecond. Must be some dude in a Bangkok or Hong Kong dank hole looking to hook a money whale. 

Tough economic times. Still just a friendly buyer beware.

Edited by SamSanuk
  • Thanks 1

That is obviously no news because a woman, or someone pretending to be a woman, tries to get something from a man.

If a man would tell one of those innocent women that they should spend money now that would be a scandal and in the news. ???? 

• Like 1

LOL  I was wondering about this too....Is annoying AF..since Im just stuck at home I use Tinder and used the Passport feature putting me in Taiwan.....They usually ask for wechat(makes sense) or whatsapp(less sense)

If they dont have line i delete, if they add line I make them open cam, where they would split as well

At least is a bit more stimulating then Thai friendly, where its the usual dreck....where u stay? why no sleep??

I had a few like that - tinder shows them about 130 km from me, then they say Hong Kong. Only 1 asked for WhatsApp but no communication there after me: hi, her: smiley, me: how are you today - which she never received as probably blocked me. 

Might be because I'm not using a Thai number though...

Wow, mannn. This is some great news, ha ha.

Basically, a month ago I met a Chinese girl showing her distance sometimes in Thailand, sometimes in China, I guess. So we talked for a few days until one day she was like, look, I'm investing into this new cryptocurrency, AEEC (or something like that). She shows like it made her a return of 70k USD or something in 10 minutes, which seemed like, no, doesn't make much sense, but oh, well, she showed that there was a huge investment, so I didn't bother to research.

So she asks me if I ever invested, I said, what's the point, not interested.

The next day she tells me she talked to her father and that he thinks I'm not ambitious enough to meet her, ha ha. She was nice and I remember I asked if we can make a call, I think she said she 'had Internet connection problem', I didn't bother again.

But your explanation totally fits everything here. I think he/she might have been the same type of scam, even though directly didn't ask me anything, but immediately stopped talking when I said, that's not my point to 'get rich'.

It's a common scam... They search for men and play nice and pretend to really want you.. Then talk about their fake work... And brag about the extra money they made investing. Usually it's ridiculously high profit.. Too good to be true...  But you like the girl in chat so you praise her. Next she offers you a chance also.  If you don't take the bait.. You get deleted.. Not worthy.  I have seen this happen many times in China. 

Unusual now to hear it's in Thailand. Usually I play along and when they ask me about investing I tell them I have more money than I will need in this lifetime.. Usually throws them for a loop. But always is same in the end. You don't send them money or show wanting to do it. You get deleted. 

Is the Tinder PASSPORT feature where you can appear to be anywhere in the world

Im currently in the USA but my tinder puts me in Taiwan..many cuties as I have always thought about

a visit there as I always do a transfer there with EVA air heading to BKK........

So I guess the scammers have used this feature for their <deleted>...hence using google voice and fake phone#s

Since being on lockdown I like trolling the trollers anc flipping it back on scammers as Ive been getting alot of calls lately, jerks preying on people while stuck at home during a pandemic and having a hard time...so I answer all the calls and playing along with my "electric bill rebates" and Ive been personally "selected"....

Isn't Tinder a site for finding a <deleted> for money? 

Why would you give a flying one if the girl likes you or not? 

Why would you have the faintest interest in whatever she had to say besides the commerce of the <deleted>? 

Oh, right. This is Thailand, I forgot. Men fall for bargirls and marry them ("She's different!") all the time. Silly me....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Why would you have the faintest interest in whatever she had to say besides the commerce of the <deleted>? 

Oh, right. This is Thailand, I forgot. Men fall for bargirls and marry them ("She's different!") all the time. Silly me....

Tinder is more for the freebies actually. Its the website versions that are for money.

They can basically set-up software that runs Virtual Machines with prepaid sim cards and dozens of accounts. They then use a Chrome extension with auto-macro's where they configure to automatically execute certain strings of commands (for example swiping to the right) or refreshing the page, selecting all profiles, send an automated message. 

Comes down to the point that they will get thousands of prospects without really doing any work, once this is configured, a task of maybe half a day to a day. 
Sadly enough there is still people falling for silly scams, add masses to that and you will get a conversion rate. Nigerians are fine with terrible rates of 0.01%

• Thanks 1

Pump and dump stock scheme. They give you a stock tip and insist that you buy it on a specific day. Tell them you do not like the stock. "not enough volume".  Always a small stock that goes up briefly and then goes way down. Tell them you are going to short the stock although that may not be possible.

On 6/9/2020 at 10:02 PM, Trujillo said:

I've always thought, find a hooker you like banging, then offer her a monthly wage to marry/live with you.

I give mine 10k/month plus free housing and 'tips'.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

On 6/11/2020 at 2:33 PM, BritManToo said:

I give mine 10k/month plus free housing and 'tips'.

Would you agree on 0k/month if they have free housing and most other things + earn themselves 15-20k in a few hours a day? Mine disagrees and disfunctions.

You are all so negative, I met a beauty on Tinder whose Rich Uncle had just died and she wanted my help transferring the inheritance in to Thailand. I sent her all my bank details etc and she is moving the money over next month when she comes to visit me. Start to trust people you have a much better chance of finding true love, just like I did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

You are all so negative, I met a beauty on Tinder whose Rich Uncle had just died and she wanted my help transferring the inheritance in to Thailand. I sent her all my bank details etc and she is moving the money over next month when she comes to visit me. Start to trust people you have a much better chance of finding true love, just like I did.

I had a similar experience.

About the same time that I met this nice lady on Beach Road in Pattaya, at 4 in the morning. Fatima sent me pics of herself in a refugee camp in Western Sahara. She was lovely. Although a muslim she wasn't radicalised like some of her fellow inmates. I tried to send her 100k dollars to ensure her freedom. We were going to live a happy life. But Paypal said I was banned, so that feel through. Gutted!

Got together with the Beach Road lass.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1