Pattaya beer bar owners beg the government to let them open

rooster59

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

Open markets allover, no social distancing, hardly mask wearing, practically no hand gel available, regularly hand wash mostly ignored.

Still no mention of new cases, and government let carry on.

Opening bars would of course be stupid ,as extremely more dangerous than open markets. 

Strange, that is not what i have seen. Went to a big open market, almost everyone wore a mask. True no hand gel and sometimes people are too close. But wearing a mask help people not to infect others. 

Just went to a shopping center and everyone was wearing a mask hand gel everywhere and had to check in with the phone on the thai channa website all the time (easy to do).

But bars are totally different you go to a bar to meet up and socialize. You try to get close to people have a chat with new people and if beer bars with girls were to open those girls would be a huge risk spreading it as they would be without mask close to many people who then would spread it onward. Hard to drink with a mask so nobody would use masks plus people want to get close to other people and with a few beers in the system all common sense (if it was there at the first place) is gone. 

Must say around my area life has gone back to normal, sure its a bit harder to shop (no fitting boots were open in super sports), the sign in sign out is a minor inconvenience. But I hate the mask it makes my glasses fog up. I do wear it but go out less as its just a bit more of a hassle. 

I would say Thais are following the rules far better then in my country. (I have a lot of conversations with people from my country on a day to day base for work). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/6/2020 at 6:31 AM, Wongkitlo said:

It is sad seeing the food queues in Pattaya. So many people are relying on charity mainly provided by the bars. At least if they can open they can get a little money. There have been no community transmissions for weeks so what will a week or two matter. 

Hope the row of plush rip off Indian restaurants on 2nd Road are doing really well. ????????????. Good riddance 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Strange, that is not what i have seen. Went to a big open market, almost everyone wore a mask.

I believe you that on the market you visit almost everyone wore a mask.

I also believe my wife, she does something like 10 a week, some days early morning, come home to rest and than do an evening market.

She told me that the wearing of masks as relaxed, many wear it only around the neck when at market. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I believe you that on the market you visit almost everyone wore a mask.

I also believe my wife, she does something like 10 a week, some days early morning, come home to rest and than do an evening market.

She told me that the wearing of masks as relaxed, many wear it only around the neck when at market. 

I am in the BKK area maybe that makes a difference. I was really surprised last night when i went to the market for some food. I had expected what you were describing but no everyone had a mask. 

I am not sure where your located but i suspect that rural area's might be different. I don't do many markets a week. Was just last night. Havent been to many markets since corvid started and usually do my shopping at Makro. 

21 minutes ago, Caine said:

Hope the row of plush rip off Indian restaurants on 2nd Road are doing really well. ????????????. Good riddance 

Was on the Jomtien Songtaew and near Walking St one indian restaurant was giving out free food. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am in the BKK area maybe that makes a difference.

Sure it makes a difference.

I am regularly in Thonglor, it is my experience, for instance that smokers are more considerate, or/and more respect the regulations about smoking, than here in Pattaya.

11 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Sure it makes a difference.

I am regularly in Thonglor, it is my experience, for instance that smokers are more considerate, or/and more respect the regulations about smoking, than here in Pattaya.

You might be right, I have no clue how the regional differences are. I am not often in Pattaya only a few times a year visiting friends there.  But around my area people seem to actually follow the rules. Though in my village i see more people then before without masks (they wear them when they leave the gated village).

2 hours ago, Percy P said:

I'm quite content as thing are at the moment .Where will Thais get the money from to drink in these bars when 7/11 is available.

Makro is even cheaper dont need to pay bar prices

I get the feeling even if these bars are allowed to open they will not be doing the business they hope to do or used to do, I for one have got used to the idea of not going to the bar every night and the amount of money I have saved.

Plus I dont have to put up with the attitude of some these slappers in the bars 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

You should try to relocate in another city or country 

and this way put yourself out of your misery

if you are a religious person or something like that

it should be a daily painful experience to be in sin city

yes

Edited by pixelaoffy

On 6/6/2020 at 12:32 PM, bkk6060 said:

Seeing photos of these bars they seem like Falang places. I doubt Thais would be flocking in for beers.

I agree though they should open them.

I don't think they are expecting Thais to "flock" to the beer bars. They are probably hoping for a trickle. Even that's probably a big ask.

7 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Whenever we start to trust the Thai government please announce it. People think Covid has gone. Thailand has tested only around 376,000 in a nation of nearly 70 million. In other words, the government doesn't know who has Covid and who doesn't. It could be they aren't opening up because they know how little they know. 

Apparently 20% need hospital treatment so based on that they have an idea of the total numbers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I get the feeling even if these bars are allowed to open they will not be doing the business they hope to do or used to do, I for one have got used to the idea of not going to the bar every night and the amount of money I have saved.

Plus I dont have to put up with the attitude of some these slappers in the bars 

You are going in the wrong bars....:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

No....... that was your experiment.

Now try mine  (and this actually happening NOW):-

Wk 1:  restaurants, coffee shops etc open.... zero infections

Wk 2:  No infections

Wk 3:  bars open, same social distancing/hygiene rules.. zero infections

Wk 4: 50 Thais repatriated , 10 have infection - all in quarantine.  No domestic infections

Wk 5+:  No infections

Get the picture?

You scenario is alot more likely than the doomsday scenario you were responding to. As long as they exercise great care with incoming tourists, we are good to go. It is dead here. Some do not want to let it go. 

• Like 2

On 6/6/2020 at 12:43 PM, petermik said:

Absolutely no national media coverage of the fantastic efforts of businesses here (mainly farang) in Pattaya/Phuket....I wonder why...shameful treatment by this junta towards the most vulnerable in its society :sad:

Especially when you see photos like this. The so called health minister and his hangers on having a slap up meal. While people queue for hours in the rain for hand outs.Disgusting

oh.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

Especially when you see photos like this. The so called health minister and his hangers on having a slap up meal. While people queue for hours in the rain for hand outs.Disgusting

oh.jpg

What can be expected?

1. He was hired without any prior experience in the health field to head the health ministry! They could not do better that that?

2. He has been quoted as making some remarks that are light years beyond inane and ignorant. Yet?

3. Then a pandemic strikes the nation, and nobody thought it might be appropriate to replace him?

4. He works for an army and an administration that has shown that "protecting it's own" is their primary agenda, so as a member of this administration he is above the law. Any and all laws. And he is not required to set an example as the entire "purity and wholesomeness" of the army is totally fake and we all know it. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

You should try to relocate in another city or country 

and this way put yourself out of your misery

if you are a religious person or something like that

it should be a daily painful experience to be in sin city

Looking upon filthy swine as I drive past doesn't make me unhappy. What touches me is those in need. I help them without exploiting them.

Even the sex workers often do the job out of desperation. But their customers.....have you seen them?

Often look no better than the vagrants themselves.

Up to you if you want to defend their exploitation.

I'm not the one crying here about low life bars.

At least some of them make an effort to create a theme and a pleasant atmosphere for their customers.

But some are plainly just knocking shops. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You have bought into the Zombie Apocalypse. Covid is gone. Some people just cannot seem to wrap their minds around the fact that it was beaten here, and is gone. There is no contagion, nor the continued need for masks, gloves, social distancing and other precautions, when the virus is not here. Accept it. Embrace it. Rejoice. 

I really will be happy if you are right.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Looking upon filthy swine as I drive past doesn't make me unhappy. What touches me is those in need. I help them without exploiting them.

Even the sex workers often do the job out of desperation. But their customers.....have you seen them?

Often look no better than the vagrants themselves.

Up to you if you want to defend their exploitation.

I'm not the one crying here about low life bars.

At least some of them make an effort to create a theme and a pleasant atmosphere for their customers.

But some are plainly just knocking shops. 

I don't want to go too much off topic

i don't defend any form of exploitation nor i cry about ''low life'' bars

you must have a high opinion of yourself, looking down on all the people around you

including here, thinking you are ''high life'' and without vices, but in reality you just try to give you a good conscience with an easy and fake ''fight''

if you really want to fight the exploitation of the people here in Thailand

let me inform you that you are on the wrong public, Do you know how 

the thai brothels work? 

And about your ''generosity'' do you even know most (All?) of the money you

give to the vagrants go directly into the purchase of alcohol and drugs?

so in a way in fact you just encourage their addictions

just saying

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I don't want to go too much off topic

i don't defend any form of exploitation nor i cry about ''low life'' bars

you must have a high opinion of yourself, looking down on all the people around you

including here, thinking you are ''high life'' and without vices, but in reality you just try to give you a good conscience with an easy and fake ''fight''

if you really want to fight the exploitation of the people here in Thailand

let me inform you that you are on the wrong public, Do you know how 

the thai brothels work? 

And about your ''generosity'' do you even know most (All?) of the money you

give to the vagrants go directly into the purchase of alcohol and drugs?

so in a way in fact you just encourage their addictions

just saying

I don't look down on all of the people around me. I disapprove of those who exploit the poor, by exchanging sexual favours for money and then pretend they are doing them a favour.

Yes, I am sure the eighty year old woman who lives in a shelter close to the beach doesn't use drugs and alcohol.

You think that giving vagrants money for sex isn't encouraging their addictions?

Who said I am here to fight exploitation? You seem to like to jump to conclusions. I am here on holiday. I see what I see and I help where I can.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Can't say I've encountered many of the 'exploited'.

All the ones I took home were well up for the free food, booze, drugs, sex ........ and not forgetting the money.

It's just my opinion. This is a forum for discussion. I'm not out there giving anyone disapproving looks.

• Haha 1