Pattaya beer bar owners beg the government to let them open

rooster59

9 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

I don't know what is a ''bogan''but for the big beer bellies most of the working girls think they are better for them, more confortable, more generous with money  and less enduring for the sex sessions than the fit ones

3NUMBAS is obviously Australian. A Bogan is Australian slang for an unsophisticated person. Maybe equivalents are lout, trailer trash, yobbo, Pattaya regular.(sorry last one just slipped out)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Still amazed that the Thai government has not made the obvious connection: "Farangs are valuable to the economy". This simple fact has been ignored in every single decision they've made in the last two years. 

The parable of the "Goose that Laid the Golden Egg" was never more in evidence.

Edited by KhunFred
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Still amazed that the Thai government has not made the obvious connection: "Farangs are valuable to the economy". //

How small is the contribution of farangs in all bars of Thailand? :unsure:

Even in Pattaya it may not be so big.

47 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

// "Farangs are valuable to the economy".  This simple fact has been ignored in every single decision they've made in the last two years. //

No idea what you are talking about??

Which decisions against farangs in last 2 years? :unsure:

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2020 at 10:45 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Normally, a mamasan controls the girls, which is a Vietnamese term for a brothel madam,

MamaSAN goes back to the WW2 Japan post war days. Oh honorific mama - Mamasan.

17 hours ago, BigStar said:

The fleabags around Soi Buakhao you're familiar with, mainstays of beer bar mongers, now bring in only a small percentage of total revenue among hotels in Pattaya. If you'd ever visited the lobbies of the better hotels during high season (for research purposes), then you'd know about their clientele. 

Yes, I did for research purposes and I saw bigstar types that turn their noses up at clientele that are not befitting of their deluded impression of themselves. These bigstar types are the ones sitting in Soi Buakhoa bars, that buy one beer and sit on it all day. Or worse still,  talk in a cockney accent and say 'I'll ave arf'

Edited by Bangkocker
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've noticed that people like you who ridicule others do it to make themselves feel better about themselves, it's a kind of coping mechanism. They pay sex workers, hate that they do it and convince themselves they are better than the others

Hmmmm Maybe !! But why do they hate themselves for paying sex workers? Doesn't make sense to me. It's just another purchase (like buying bread, food, beer). If it invokes such strong self hatred, then the solution is simple. Use you own hand, don't suffer guilt and save baht, and grow hair on the palm.

16 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Still amazed that the Thai government has not made the obvious connection: "Farangs are valuable to the economy". This simple fact has been ignored in every single decision they've made in the last two years. 

Why so, they make up an ever shrinking percentage of tourists , and frequently appearing in the news for the wrong reasons.

17 hours ago, KhunFred said:

The Thai Government has made the connection, farangs are not a large part of tourism or expats and it deceasing. Its only farang expats/tourists that over estimate the numbers and contribution to the economy.

Clip_1-15-Major-50.jpg

Edited by Peterw42

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The Thai Government has made the connection, farangs are not a large part of tourism or expats and it deceasing. Its only farang expats/tourists that over estimate the numbers and contribution to the economy.

Clip_1-15-Major-50.jpg

Yes but all these small contributions add up

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes but all these small contributions add up

They dont add up to much, there are more tourists from Vietnam nowadays than UK and US combined, Australia doesnt even register on the graphs nowadays.

37 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

They dont add up to much, there are more tourists from Vietnam nowadays than UK and US combined, Australia doesnt even register on the graphs nowadays.

of course the Thailand novelty wears off and people go elsewhere as will Indian and Chinese tourists eventually

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

of course the Thailand novelty wears off and people go elsewhere as will Indian and Chinese tourists eventually

Yes, but the difference being, China and India is literally half the worlds population. More babies are born daily in these countries than total western tourists per year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bangkocker said:

Nothing better than a clean woman  AND a filthy woman together with dirty minds. Yahoo !!

My old mother used to tell me. With a nice girl you have a nice time. With a dirty girl you can have the time of your life.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

With well over a billion in each place it will sadly take far longer than I can wait!

On 6/6/2020 at 10:54 PM, Phil McCaverty said:

Not in Pattaya. Very few bars have mamasans now. Personally, I can't think of one. Even when they did, the mamasan didn't get a cut from the girls earnings from the customer. Quickest way for a mamasan to get sacked.

I think there is a difference between the beer bars and the gogos.

In my humble experience all of the gogos have mamasans, they are responsible for not only keeping the girls in order but in most cases for finding new girls or bringing them down from the North.

Smaller beer bars don't need mamasans as the owners are usually around

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I suppose if your whole life centers around beer bars etc, it easy to see the sector as being more important and larger than it is.

In reality its a small part of the overall Thai economy and a small part of the tourism economy.

Believing the Thai economy will rebound on the back of a few bars that cater for a small percentage of overall tourists, is very optimistic and overestimating the actual contribution to the economy.

I really cant see any point in beer bars rushing to reopen at the moment, with no tourists here to patronise them.

I don;t disagree with the percentage of the total economy that beer bars are, but the entertainment industry does disproportionately employ many people coming from the North of Thailand and whose earnings support a larger family. I am not just talking about the bar girls but the whole eco-system of cleaners, waitresses, deliveries, taxis, hairdressers etc. etc. etc.

Yes, the opening up to just locals and expats is not going to be a full "rebound" but at least a start, and a good test to see whether we can cope with a full opening up to tourists (with appropriate checks of course).  

On 6/7/2020 at 1:29 PM, hotandsticky said:

No....... that was your experiment.

Now try mine  (and this actually happening NOW):-

Wk 1:  restaurants, coffee shops etc open.... zero infections

Wk 2:  No infections

Wk 3:  bars open, same social distancing/hygiene rules.. zero infections

Wk 4: 50 Thais repatriated , 10 have infection - all in quarantine.  No domestic infections

Wk 5+:  No infections

Get the picture?

I do, but bars are different than restaurants and coffee shops in one particular.  Can you think of what that is?  Something maybe you are intentionally ignoring?  

• Confused 1

On 6/7/2020 at 1:37 PM, CorpusChristie said:

Who are these people that are controlling peoples thoughts ? 

What are there names ?

I was referring to the advanced and well-funded science of "marketing."  This has been worked on since the early 1900's, when the industrial revolution created the problem of "overproduction" and created the need to convince consumers to buy things they don't need or even want.  

I can cite many examples.  Since you seem unfamiliar with the topic, I suggest you watch "The Century of the Self" by Adam Curtis.  

On 6/7/2020 at 2:12 PM, Traubert said:

No. All the infected people are in hospital.  i don't drink in hospitals, it tastes of disinfectant.

Good!  I hope you stay out of them so you can drink as much as you want.  Luckily, the bars are closed so if you get infected you can't pass it on to some bar girl's grandmother.  

On 6/7/2020 at 2:16 PM, CGW said:

Does your view take into account those on the other side of the fence that gain from continuing the imprisonment or lockdown, what ever you want to call it.

The list is endless, Amazon gain, Big Pharma will gain, Bill Gates has pumped over 4 Billion dollars into "WHO" anyone that trusts WHO & Kill Bill needs locking down.

Unfortunately the same "Cartel" in control of the lockdown also control the MSM, which people are indoctrinated to believe, rather than question! 

"Governments" are just representatives of the large corporations, did you not notice that change over! Thai government a classic example!

My view is that we are in a global pandemic and the thing to do is to listen to the medical and scientific experts and not make this about the profits of huge corporations for once.  What kind of "indoctrination" are you referring to?  I haven't seen any examples of it.  All the actual scientific evidence continues to verify that the lockdown is saving lives.  As a scientist, I continued to be amazed at the arrogance of those who think they know better than the CDC and all the medical experts in the world.  And yes, of course people profit from human misery.  I'm totally fine levying heavy taxes on Amazon, Big Pharma, and other corporations that do so.  Would that help?  

I agree that some government actors are going to use this as an excuse to reduce human rights in their country.  We can see from the protests in America that our government is among them.  

On 6/7/2020 at 3:02 PM, kingofthemountain said:

58 deaths maybe because of the virus in Thailand in more than 150 days 

unsafe, close everything!

60 deaths every single day on the roads in Thailand, safe. no problem

don't add more security or enforce the existing laws

this world is turning in something crazy, in my opinion

Thailand is not the only country in the world.  A lot of what they were responding to was the threat of people from other countries.  Also a lot was unknown early on.  The Thai authorities acted very WISELY and early.  They turned over handling of this situation to the medical experts early on and it is working spectacularly.  I'm so relieved and impressed that they did not make the mistake the US is making by making this into a partisan political issue.  

Edited by wealthychef

31 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

My view is that we are in a global pandemic and the thing to do is to listen to the medical and scientific experts and not make this about the profits of huge corporations for once.  What kind of "indoctrination" are you referring to?  I haven't seen any examples of it.  All the actual scientific evidence continues to verify that the lockdown is saving lives.  As a scientist, I continued to be amazed at the arrogance of those who think they know better than the CDC and all the medical experts in the world.  And yes, of course people profit from human misery.  I'm totally fine levying heavy taxes on Amazon, Big Pharma, and other corporations that do so.  Would that help?  

I agree that some government actors are going to use this as an excuse to reduce human rights in their country.  We can see from the protests in America that our government is among them.  

The problem with these medical and scientific experts is they tend to be single minded on the virus, the models used didn't take account of the economic consequences of lockdowns and restrictions, i.e. job losses, deaths from not going to hospital for cancer, strokes, heart attacks etc, deaths by the future under funded hospital services because governments have spaffed the money up the wall on lockdowns

Edited by scubascuba3

1 hour ago, wealthychef said:

Thailand is not the only country in the world.  A lot of what they were responding to was the threat of people from other countries.  Also a lot was unknown early on.  The Thai authorities acted very WISELY and early.  They turned over handling of this situation to the medical experts early on and it is working spectacularly.  I'm so relieved and impressed that they did not make the mistake the US is making by making this into a partisan political issue.  

How would they make it into a partisan political issue here ?

• Like 1