Pattaya beer bar owners beg the government to let them open

rooster59

2 hours ago, crobe said:

but the entertainment industry does disproportionately employ many people coming from the North of Thailand and whose earnings support a larger family. I am not just talking about the bar girls but the whole eco-system of cleaners, waitresses, deliveries, taxis, hairdressers etc. etc. etc.

TVF Pattaya Economists, stuck in 1995, think there's only one industry in Pattaya: the entertainment industry, which they also term the hospitality industry. And the only businesses belonging that industry are the beer bars. Yes, the hospitality industry doesn't include hotels. ???? You can't make this stuff up.  

Beer bars are now a small part of overall revenue generation in Pattaya. People "coming from the North" now mainly employed by businesses not dependent on beer bars.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bangkocker said:

Yes, I did for research purposes and I saw bigstar types that turn their noses up at clientele that are not befitting of their deluded impression of themselves. These bigstar types are the ones sitting in Soi Buakhoa bars, that buy one beer and sit on it all day. Or worse still,  talk in a cockney accent and say 'I'll ave arf'

Great, we now know that as I thought, and contrary to your assertion, you actually have no idea at all who the guests are in the better hotels responsible for most of the revenue generation in Pattya's hotel market.

I do, however. Having lived in Pattaya now for quite a few years, I've observed and experienced firsthand most areas of the city.

Now it's true, in your favor, that according to our ace Economists these guests cannot possibly exist and therefore yer Holiday Inns, yer Centaras, yer Hiltons are just laundering money. (I love TVF Economics!) But if you won't go in them yourself, and won't believe those who have, then you'll just have continue believing and spreading nonsense. Next!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I suppose if your whole life centers around beer bars etc, it easy to see the sector as being more important and larger than it is.

In reality its a small part of the overall Thai economy and a small part of the tourism economy.

But a very large source of employment, legitimate or otherwise, with money being sent home, where it makes up a sizeable monthly cash injection into the Issan economy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wealthychef said:

My view is that we are in a global pandemic and the thing to do is to listen to the medical and scientific experts and not make this about the profits of huge corporations for once.  What kind of "indoctrination" are you referring to?  I haven't seen any examples of it.  All the actual scientific evidence continues to verify that the lockdown is saving lives.  As a scientist, I continued to be amazed at the arrogance of those who think they know better than the CDC and all the medical experts in the world.  And yes, of course people profit from human misery.  I'm totally fine levying heavy taxes on Amazon, Big Pharma, and other corporations that do so.  Would that help?  

I agree that some government actors are going to use this as an excuse to reduce human rights in their country.  We can see from the protests in America that our government is among them.  

That's your view, that you are quite entitled too - as a "scientist" were you "funded" by individuals with agendas as the CDC is "(As a private 501(c)(3) public charity, the CDC Foundation receives charitable contributions and philanthropic grants from individuals, foundations, corporations, universities, NGOs and other organisations to advance the work of the centers for Disease Control and Prevention.)", that you defend, you choose not to state that medical opinion is divided, further - to state that we should not make this about "profits' is frankly ridiculous, it's happening, the "pandemic is much more than that, social engineering is surely nearer the actual events, surely your scientific mind hasn't been deceived - look at facts, not propaganda by paid for government, scientists and drugs sales people - it's an agenda, whether the "pandemic" was manufactured or the situation was taken advantage off, depends what you choose to believe? which depends what media you have faith in, if you believe the MSM that is owned by the same people that are directing the social engineering event, you are going to have a one sided POV, then off course "cognitive dissonance" comes into play, as a "scientist" you want to protect your core beliefs & deny anything that doesn't support them!

I wonder if the scientists working in the Wuhan labs have the same beliefs as yourself?

20 minutes ago, Leaver said:

But a very large source of employment, legitimate or otherwise, with money being sent home, where it makes up a sizeable monthly cash injection into the Issan economy. 

I agree, but people tend to think its big numbers because they can see it, 10-15 girls spruiking out the front of a bar. Next soi over could have 10-15 girls working in a laundry, hotel, condo block etc, that you dont see.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I agree, but people tend to think its big numbers because they can see it, 10-15 girls spruiking out the front of a bar. Next soi over could have 10-15 girls working in a laundry, hotel, condo block etc, that you dont see.

Those 10-15 girls working in a laundry, hotel, condo block etc, that you don't see are working because the bar girls brought the customers in the first place. Two week millionaires don't go to Pattaya to swim in the sea.

Despite some claims that other elements of Pattaya are more profitable than the bar scene, those elements only arrived because of what existed before Hilton ever thought of setting up shop there. Pattaya had ZERO to attract the big spenders before the mongers created the city.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Despite some claims that other elements of Pattaya are more profitable than the bar scene, those elements only arrived because of what existed before Hilton ever thought of setting up shop there. Pattaya had ZERO to attract the big spenders before the mongers created the city.

Yay mongers. But their heyday is over.

Remember: Pattaya has been pronounced "dead" yearly for the last decade or so. Monthly, now. ???? Though in reality it isn't, of course, nonetheless a large new economy based on a far different sort of tourist has been a-building for some time now. Where was high season this year? North Pattaya. Your logic would be similar to that in any claim that the economy of present-day Liverpool is based on trade flowing through the docks.

Edited by BigStar

32 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Yay mongers. But their heyday is over.

Remember: Pattaya has been pronounced "dead" yearly for the last decade or so. Monthly, now. ???? Though in reality it isn't, of course, nonetheless a large new economy based on a far different sort of tourist has been a-building for some time now. Where was high season this year? North Pattaya. Your logic would be similar to that in any claim that the economy of present-day Liverpool is based on trade flowing through the docks.

Pattaya dead for the last decade? Really? and others have claimed that the BKK 'entertainment' scene is dead also. Funny, I was there but 9 months ago and it was business as usual in all the entertainment areas (wall to wall people having fun). Now, maybe the overpriced gogo's and bars are a little impoverished (due to the greediness of the purveyors). But it's wise to disregard all these armchair experts and their prognostications. I'm convinced that those that don't partake / are unable / unwilling / have an axe to grind with the industry that attracts 30+ million people to Thailand; like to impart dis-information (with their own peculiar melancholy) about how alive and thriving it really is. My advice to people is to find out the reality for yourselves.

Edited by Bangkocker

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
On 6/8/2020 at 11:08 AM, Pattaya46 said:

How small is the contribution of farangs in all bars of Thailand? :unsure:

Even in Pattaya it may not be so big.

Really?

How many farangs go to Pattaya to go to the bars in a normal year? How many hotels depend on farangs going to Pattaya to go to the bars in a normal year? How many bar girls //

Uh? What are you talking about?

My question - and this thread - was just about bars, not hotels, restaurants, girls...

IMHO contribution of farangs in this business (compared to Thai one) is largely overestimated on this forum.

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The problem with these medical and scientific experts is they tend to be single minded on the virus, the models used didn't take account of the economic consequences of lockdowns and restrictions, i.e. job losses, deaths from not going to hospital for cancer, strokes, heart attacks etc, deaths by the future under funded hospital services because governments have spaffed the money up the wall on lockdowns

I disagree with your assertion that the cost of the lockdown was not discussed or considered before implementing them.  They were simply found to be less important than the millions of lives put at risk.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I disagree with your assertion that the cost of the lockdown was not discussed or considered before implementing them.  They were simply found to be less important than the millions of lives put at risk.  

The J model the scientists were using just didn't take the economic consequences causing deaths into account, it's like only using half a formula to find the answer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The J model the scientists were using just didn't take the economic consequences causing deaths into account, it's like only using half a formula to find the answer

It's a very valid concern for sure.  But I think that you are wrong that scientists are ignorant or not taking it into consideration.  The fact that you know it means that the CDC knows it too.  Unless you are going to make some Trumpian claim of mental superiority, LOL

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2020 at 7:26 AM, robblok said:

????

Right... beer bars whit girls entertaining the guys. I bet no social distancing and no masks and its safer then a supermarket. Especially with girls being close to multiple guys during the day. Seems to me a high risk factor. If it is only a beer bar no girls then sure you might be right. 

The girls might not be that much of an issue at TJs....

• Like 1

There has been a petition organised by the local people asking whether the beer bars should be reopened now (note - I don't think this includes pubs and clubs).

Apparently thousands of signatures and over 90% in favour.

Not sure when this is due to be presented to the Pattaya mayor - probably on Monday - but there is a growing strength of feeling among the populace and some calls for the mayor to be thrown out

Of course he was appointed under section 44 by the last government and there is no sign of a new election yet.

Yes the Social Intercourse is sooo risky here. You just may be loved to death! Or stay home where it's "safe" but it should be a personal choice not some irrational government edict. Did anyone ever care about us getting the Flu or a sniffle before this hoax ? They simply have no experience in this matter and will never admit any fault "save face" at any cost but only after another 14 days until the next stage of "easing" such buffoonery...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greg O said:

Yes the Social Intercourse is sooo risky here. You just may be loved to death! Or stay home where it's "safe" but it should be a personal choice not some irrational government edict. Did anyone ever care about us getting the Flu or a sniffle before this hoax ? They simply have no experience in this matter and will never admit any fault "save face" at any cost but only after another 14 days until the next stage of "easing" such buffoonery...

Ummmm hoax ??? Now maybe open your mind to all the deaths globally. Just ask the relatives of all the people that have lost their lives, and suggest 'it's just a hoax'. It's NOT the flu !! I thought everyone knows that. This is a vastly more serious disease that has killed over 400,000 people and has caused misery and financial devastation globally. Are you kidding ??? The flu or a sniffle doesn't impact like that.

Edited by Bangkocker

9 hours ago, crobe said:

There has been a petition organised by the local people asking whether the beer bars should be reopened now (note - I don't think this includes pubs and clubs).

Apparently thousands of signatures and over 90% in favour.

Not sure when this is due to be presented to the Pattaya mayor - probably on Monday - but there is a growing strength of feeling among the populace and some calls for the mayor to be thrown out

Of course he was appointed under section 44 by the last government and there is no sign of a new election yet.

I'm not surprised at the unpopularity, It was one of the more amazing aspects of the recent "democratic" elections that one of the shock results was the defeat of the ruling clan in this region at the ballot box. Despite that Pattaya still has an unelected Mayor and the country an unelected Minister of Culture, from an unelected military junta that promised to get rid of influential families. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bangkocker said:

Ummmm hoax ??? Now maybe open your mind to all the deaths globally. Just ask the relatives of all the people that have lost their lives, and suggest 'it's just a hoax'. It's NOT the flu !! I thought everyone knows that. This is a vastly more serious disease that has killed over 400,000 people and has caused misery and financial devastation globally. Are you kidding ??? The flu or a sniffle doesn't impact like that.

i have said this many times on here....there has been 2971 infections and 58 deaths from a population of approx 65 million !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

They should let them open.  Not the discos  (like Insomnia or Differ) or go go bars  or places with loud music, but just the normal bar you go to for a drink and to meet mates.  Most Pubs in Pattaya are open already because they have restaurant licenses so it wont make difference to them apart from their profit margin.

11 hours ago, essox essox said:

i have said this many times on here....there has been 2971 infections and 58 deaths from a population of approx 65 million !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andin the UK, with a similar population, 291,000 infections and over 41,000 deaths. So who do you think is doing better?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, essox essox said:

These stats are due to the lock down.  Image what they would be without lock down. 

Why risk opening up too early, just to have to go back to square one?