Pattaya beer bar owners beg the government to let them open

rooster59

On 6/12/2020 at 11:14 AM, Leaver said:

These stats are due to the lock down.

Imagine what they would be without lock down.

That's the big problem here, as nobody knows...

and many people think that without lockdown the stats would have been (nearly) the same.

We will never know ????

The news today from the market in Beijing is very very worrying.

After 2 months of no cases how can the virus reappear?

This will make Thailand even more jumpy.

Any close contact places and this virus takes off like wildfire. 48 cases and counting.

Astra Zeneca/Oxford need to hit the bullseye soon.

On 6/10/2020 at 4:14 PM, BigStar said:

Yay mongers. But their heyday is over.

Remember: Pattaya has been pronounced "dead" yearly for the last decade or so. Monthly, now. ???? Though in reality it isn't, of course, nonetheless a large new economy based on a far different sort of tourist has been a-building for some time now. Where was high season this year? North Pattaya. Your logic would be similar to that in any claim that the economy of present-day Liverpool is based on trade flowing through the docks.

Other than a polluted bay, a polluted island and a few local attractions eg Temple of Truth, Pattaya has nothing to attract tourists and it's so decrepit and broken that "normal" tourists have no reason to go there. people with real money go to the Maldives etc. People with money that do go to LOS stay at 5* resorts on beaches like Chaweng and Railay, not some 3* place on Second Rd. That leaves the package tourists that know nothing about Pattaya before they arrive and spend most of their time in the resort or on tours.

I went to Pattaya only to find a GF to go to a proper beach with. If that option didn't exist in Pattaya I'd never have gone there.

Given the history of council built projects I doubt they are capable of converting Pattaya to a desirable family destination, so it will limp along somewhere between a monger's paradise and a family resort, neither one nor the other, much as it was before Corona.

The Chinese won't care, but they ain't rich and won't change anything for the better, IMO.

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Other than a polluted bay, a polluted island and a few local attractions eg Temple of Truth, Pattaya has nothing to attract tourists and it's so decrepit and broken that "normal" tourists have no reason to go there. people with real money go to the Maldives etc. People with money that do go to LOS stay at 5* resorts on beaches like Chaweng and Railay, not some 3* place on Second Rd. That leaves the package tourists that know nothing about Pattaya before they arrive and spend most of their time in the resort or on tours.

I went to Pattaya only to find a GF to go to a proper beach with. If that option didn't exist in Pattaya I'd never have gone there.

Given the history of council built projects I doubt they are capable of converting Pattaya to a desirable family destination, so it will limp along somewhere between a monger's paradise and a family resort, neither one nor the other, much as it was before Corona.

The Chinese won't care, but they ain't rich and won't change anything for the better, IMO.

Are you aware of places like Royal cliff hotel etc in Pattaya, they are 5 star hotels and a room is 5-10k a night, they a full of well off tourists, well off chinese, families etc. Not everyone is a 500 baht a night monger, but if thats the part of Pattaya you are familiar with, that will be your view of Pattaya.

http://www.bangkok.com/pattaya/10-luxury-resorts.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Not everyone is a 500 baht a night monger, but if thats the part of Pattaya you are familiar with, that will be your view of Pattaya.

How much employment do the 500 baht a night mongers create?  They may pay only 500 baht a night for a room, but eat, drink, and <deleted> themselves silly for 2 weeks here.  That's a lot of money turnover and employment to legitimate staff, and sex workers.  Also, this money is spread all over Pattaya, not just in one resort.  Employment from waitresses, retail staff, cooks and cleaners, to hookers.  That money benefits how many Thai families?

The wealthy coming to Pattaya would hardly leave their resort, and why would they.  As soon as they step outside the resort, nothing is of a high standard.  The majority of their money stays inside the resort, and whilst the resort may charge 5 to 10k per night, a 500 baht a night monger could match this spend on "partying" yet spread it across multiple businesses, rather than just one resort.   

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, WillyPlatt said:

Why would a big spender come to Pattaya?

Anyone with money would head to Phuket or Koh Samui.

They are both awful. Even big spenders balk at their rip-offs.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 5:30 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Hotels are allowed to sell alcohol, so presumably hotels on Buakhao that have quasi bars can start selling, such as Nikon court as an example

Yep Nikon crt had plenty of barflies yesterday

Opening bars without tourists is like driving a car with no wheels pointless 90% of ex pats sit at home sucking on a Leo & if they do attend local bars on a budget !!! Im in LOS in October & will have a night or 2 to see friends & have a butchers about ???? 

1 hour ago, Silent Tiger said:

Opening bars without tourists is like driving a car with no wheels pointless 90% of ex pats sit at home sucking on a Leo & if they do attend local bars on a budget !!! Im in LOS in October & will have a night or 2 to see friends & have a butchers about ???? 

Are you recounting a dream you had?

You said 'I will be in LOS in October.'

If the <deleted> wits who run Thailand have their way you won't be in Thailand until everyone on the globe has been vaccinated.

That could be 1, 10 years or never.

12 hours ago, WillyPlatt said:

Are you recounting a dream you had?

You said 'I will be in LOS in October.'

If the <deleted> wits who run Thailand have their way you won't be in Thailand until everyone on the globe has been vaccinated.

That could be 1, 10 years or never.

Thailand will soon open to foreigners with PR, Work Permits and Thai families to return to them.... perhaps he fits into one of these groups. There has yet to be a vaccination requirement, but up to now Thai authorities seem to be sitting on a success story wrt protecting its people. I feel fortunate to have come under that umbrella.

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2020 at 12:59 PM, Peterw42 said:

Are you aware of places like Royal cliff hotel etc in Pattaya, they are 5 star hotels and a room is 5-10k a night, they a full of well off tourists, well off chinese, families etc. Not everyone is a 500 baht a night monger, but if thats the part of Pattaya you are familiar with, that will be your view of Pattaya.

http://www.bangkok.com/pattaya/10-luxury-resorts.htm

I'm well aware of Royal Cliff and the other * resorts. That doesn't change the fact that Pattaya itself has no real attractions other than the ones I noted previously.

You can't have much experience of staying in Pattaya if you think places are available in numbers at 500 baht a night. Those days ended last century.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 5:55 PM, jacko45k said:

They are both awful. Even big spenders balk at their rip-offs.

If one actually knows anything about Samui or Phuket one knows the places to stay that are not rip offs.

If a rich person came to Pattaya they could pay a lot to stay at Hilton etc but there is nothing for them outside the hotel, so what would be the point, except for rich golfers?

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 7:59 AM, Peterw42 said:

Other than a polluted bay, a polluted island and a few local attractions eg Temple of Truth, Pattaya has nothing to attract tourists and it's so decrepit and broken that "normal" tourists have no reason to go there.

I was at Central the other day and was on the deck of the upstairs hamburger shop. The bay was looking quite beautiful. I wasn't the only one taking photos.

20200612_144801.jpg

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Thailand will soon open to foreigners with PR, Work Permits and Thai families to return to them.... perhaps he fits into one of these groups. There has yet to be a vaccination requirement, but up to now Thai authorities seem to be sitting on a success story wrt protecting its people. I feel fortunate to have come under that umbrella.

The 'I'm alright jack brigade' don't seem to understand how economics works.

If a city has no customers then its shops, restaurants, bars and infrastructure start to not function and survive.

That means that while you sit in a smug bubble the place begins to fall down around you.

This dirty farang narrative seems to be gathering pace and i would be nervous of future negative changes to immigration policy.

10 minutes ago, WillyPlatt said:

The 'I'm alright jack brigade' don't seem to understand how economics works.

If a city has no customers then its shops, restaurants, bars and infrastructure start to not function and survive.

That means that while you sit in a smug bubble the place begins to fall down around you.

This dirty farang narrative seems to be gathering pace and i would be nervous of future negative changes to immigration policy.

If a city has no customers

How does that work, do  people living in the area and domestic tourists not go to the shops ?

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

If a city has no customers

How does that work, do  people living in the area and domestic tourists not go to the shops ?

You need income to spend money.

Pattaya and surround needs tourism.

The place will slowly fall apart.

Pensioners on fixed income and a strengthening baht isn't a great combination for an economic boom.

Enjoy the peace and quiet but its a luxury Pattaya and surround can't afford.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WillyPlatt said:

You need income to spend money.

Pattaya and surround needs tourism.

The place will slowly fall apart.

Pensioners on fixed income and a strengthening baht isn't a great combination for an economic boom.

Enjoy the peace and quiet but its a luxury Pattaya and surround can't afford.

Pattaya has tourism, the 7 motorway is rammed packed with BKK numberplated cars full of people heading to Pattaya on Friday afternoons.

Doubt the Pensioner on the fixed income contributes much at all to an economic boom but its not something I considered so duly noted.

20 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I was at Central the other day and was on the deck of the upstairs hamburger shop. The bay was looking quite beautiful. I wasn't the only one taking photos.

20200612_144801.jpg

I have loads of photos of Pattaya, but I'd never go there for the scenery. I bet no one else goes there to enjoy the view of the bay from Central either.

Pattaya for farang tourists was for the night life, golf and as a base to tour elsewhere. Beaches are far better elsewhere. It has a few attractions such as Alcazar, Temple of Truth, Big Buddha, Mini Siam, Bottle museum, the aquarium, Nong Nooch, the cable drop, Koh Larn, but none of those are sufficient to entice farang tourists on their own, IMO.

18 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Pattaya has tourism, the 7 motorway is rammed packed with BKK numberplated cars full of people heading to Pattaya on Friday afternoons.

Doubt the Pensioner on the fixed income contributes much at all to an economic boom but its not something I considered so duly noted.

Which is why it's important to separate farang tourism from local and Chinese tourists.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have loads of photos of Pattaya, but I'd never go there for the scenery. I bet no one else goes there to enjoy the view of the bay from Central either.

Pattaya for farang tourists was for the night life, golf and as a base to tour elsewhere. Beaches are far better elsewhere. It has a few attractions such as Alcazar, Temple of Truth, Big Buddha, Mini Siam, Bottle museum, the aquarium, Nong Nooch, the cable drop, Koh Larn, but none of those are sufficient to entice farang tourists on their own, IMO.

As I posted I was not the only one there taking photos. There were several and was only there the time it takes to eat a hamburger. Have been in the neighbourhood for 4 to 5 years and I still feel an attraction to the "dirty Miami" aspect of Pattaya. Nice boulevard but holes in the ground everywhere. Hookers mixing with tourists. My hamburger cost 65 baht and I could sit on a deck with a beautiful view to eat it. 

1 hour ago, Wongkitlo said:

As I posted I was not the only one there taking photos. There were several and was only there the time it takes to eat a hamburger. Have been in the neighbourhood for 4 to 5 years and I still feel an attraction to the "dirty Miami" aspect of Pattaya. Nice boulevard but holes in the ground everywhere. Hookers mixing with tourists. My hamburger cost 65 baht and I could sit on a deck with a beautiful view to eat it. 

Living the dream.

With big spenders like you Pattaya will thrive.

Dear help us all.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 5:27 AM, WillyPlatt said:

Living the dream.

With big spenders like you Pattaya will thrive.

Dear help us all.

And that's the market bars will be allowed to open up for.  Why bother opening at all?