100 hotels on Koh Samui forced to sell up due to COVID-19 crisis

rooster59

5 hours ago, petermik said:

Just the tip of the iceberg...many more to follow...time will prove the idiocy of the governments handling of the Covid situation :whistling: 

Very true. I wonder how many people in the government will be buying, perhaps through families or nominees?

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Chinese have owned the island for generations. The original inhabitants are Hainan Chinese that came some hundred years ago, and before the lockdown there were daily direct flights from China; had been like that for long time, as a number of Chinese have a week-end house on Samui...:whistling:

That is not right. The 7 families might be of Chinese origin but they are Thai, as is very common in this country.

There were also 2 flights per day direct from Russia. Used to watch them come in while on the beach.

21 minutes ago, TechnikaIII said:

Two biying groups:

1. Chinese investors. (It's all part of the plan.)

2. Police and/or army folk with money. (Secondary to China's plan, but hey, why not?)

So keep them closed as long as possible, to force the prices down even further.

Places earmarked before the release of the virus.  As I said, it was all part of the plan.

Sure...can you post "the plan" details here, so we can have a look too.

3 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

That is not right. The 7 families might be of Chinese origin but they are Thai, as is very common in this country.

There were also 2 flights per day direct from Russia. Used to watch them come in while on the beach.

I think very few Russians living in Samui were on long term visas. I knew a few which had to go to Malaysia for renewals. Interestingly how this is going to work out if the govt doesn't extend the visa amnesty after the 31st of July and the borders are still closed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

If you call this Govt idiotic..... How you would name those in UK or US??? 

Even Prawit got more brain than Bojo or Donald together. 

At least he got the more expensive watches. ????

But what you are saying has to do with Boris or Trump at all, and nothing to do with the thread at all. The thread is all about hotels on Koh Samui. 

:offtopic:

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, apophyss said:

Chineese will come buy all...

Yes that ist 100 percent sure. They made you sick and now they buy your property and key infrastructure. Belt and Road Initiative at its best. Enjoy, proud Thai man! You belong soon to those ruled by Chinese! With the help of Anutin and the other corrupt guys...

Chinese go unpunished for the economic devastation they have caused??? And Thais pray for Chinese to come back in masses? Really? You want them? Those who made you sick, and made you starve?

Oh yes I forgot, according Anutin (and his brother in crime, Xijinping) not spitting Chinese caused the mess, no it was the dirty farangs who don't shower... You remember the statements of the great statesman  Anutin? I do...

Nihaoma?

Edited by P100
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mr_lob said:

Sadly yes, and in many struggling parts of the World. China to the rescue!

China is asshoe!

I think you are soon to see that Chinese pocketbook tighten up...The world is pretty upset...

Edited by armadillo215
spelling

2 hours ago, FarangULong said:

Was thinking the same.. if only I was liquid (or rather MORE liquid) right now, I'd totally buy into one of those hotels. COVID will end eventually, even if there is another wave. And then it'll be back to business as usual.

Always wanted to own/own a piece of a hotel, especially a beach side resort on a lovely island like Koh Samui (though personally I prefer Koh Samet, but beggars can't be choosers).

What say ye, people of Thaivisa? T.V. Barbarian Sexpat Farang S<um LLC (or similar stereotypical name, to please the boys in green&blue, running the show?), buying 49% of a hotel or two as an investment group ???? ?? I seem to vaguely recall someone mentioning a couple weeks ago, that they just received their Thai citizenship, so we could even go all in?

Can I get a few "ayes"?

And you believe that tourists return as before ? Every think go for change now

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

But what you are saying has to do with Boris or Trump at all, and nothing to do with the thread at all. The thread is all about hotels on Koh Samui. 

:offtopic:

That is not quite right. 

It's about hotels on Samui which suffer from Corona because of "no customers ".

And it is about to open bars and restaurants again. 

And it has to do with tackling the crisis in a way so that tourists come back. 

Obviously you were in another thread. Start again. ????

5 hours ago, Quickmill said:

I hope it will be as you said, at least for the people in need to sale their hotel, because i suspect it will be very hard to sale an hotel, with the expectation of lack of tourists, unless their own even the land...with proper chanod..just my point of view

I've offered thais cash for a way out of dying businesses before. Pride prevents them from taking it then they walk away with nothing. Oh well. 

• Thanks 1

do not worry soon they will all be back under chinese management

here in chiang mai happening all ready

agents are buying hotels and guest houses

before booking had 2750 hotels here than it went to 1100 

now already back to 1330 

chinese will take over the world, not goverments only business

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I always heard about 19 Hainan families – and yes, like almost all, if not all, migrant Chinese families from about a century and more ago, they became Thai citizens, but often remain within Chinese circles. 

And daily flight from Malaysia and Singapore, and Charter flights from China – plus the 30+ domestic flight bringing in numerous of foreigners to the islands – but all that doesn't change what I said...????

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

So the Chinese, not Thai, are not like us falang that cannot own property? Posters like you only talk about your prejudices, not reality.

They can own a hotel or resort, if the investment is big enough.

As long as the government doesn't have a clear plan to revive international tourism, I wouldn't buy anything here. And the old army dinosaurs have no plan. 

Maybe they don't want to have any foreigners in the country in general, if you think of one or the other xenophobic statement from their circles.

They have nicely consolidated their power and cast critical voices and dissolved parties. 

The army princes live in splendor, are very rich and they are the last group go hungry. 

Why do those in power need tourists for?

Thailand has changed and is not the friendly, open welcome country since years. Ordinary people are still nice, but those in power think differently. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Any one with cash at hand can make a killing now buying properties at rock bottom price and when things will look up, and they will, will at least double their money...

what they are selling is not the real estate but the hotel enterprise (that pays a rent to the landlord) 

So what you buy at "rock bottom" is just the privilege to pay for rent and staff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kongshoej said:

BETTER cHINESE THAN WHITE TRASH FROM THE U.S.

The Samui people don't need to choose, one or the other, all are welcome, this is the anecdotal feedback I'm getting from there.

11 hours ago, apophyss said:

Chineese will come buy all...

With a Thai partner owning 51%... buying real estate and owning the land in Thailand is not that easy. 

Sure there are ways around it, but not as straightforward as in the USA or Europe 

2 hours ago, Penefattore said:

what they are selling is not the real estate but the hotel enterprise (that pays a rent to the landlord) 

So what you buy at "rock bottom" is just the privilege to pay for rent and staff.

If the land is not included, the value of the business is really, really low at this time.

Nobody will buy and pay rent now with borders closed 

• Like 1