100 hotels on Koh Samui forced to sell up due to COVID-19 crisis

rooster59

In update to my post from yesterday about present situation on Chaweng Beach, I had a nice walk from the southern public entrance and all the way up north, but however not also further south towards First Bungalow, so I don't know about that area.

There is no public beach entrance at north (to my knowledge), so just a few hundred meters walk and you have a wide sandy almost private beach.

No "For Sale" signs, but one new "For Rent"-sign, if someone should be interested...????

At the southern public entrance was usual busy beach activity...

wIMG_0153_CBrach-20200614_w.jpg.bd2b7491e2eef00156f8e5907f09e5f0.jpg

Five places along the beach seemed to have opened with restaurants, perhaps also accommodation behind the restaurants, presume a place like "O.P. Bungalow" would have. Based on my observations, one don't need to reserve a table in advance...

wIMG_0086_collage.jpg.8f3afa49b21a64a914c3ca88b5b6d2b8.jpg

The Library's last clients must have left, as it was now fully closed down. However three other places looked like there were preparing for reopening, one busy painting the beachfront, one cleaning pool, and one making a new roof on the beachfront restaurant. Fully open way south, and with a number of guests visible, is the luxurious looking "The Tent" by Sala, with a bargain for long stayers – well relative – only 139,9899 baht a month for Oceanfront Balcony Pool Suite; however, the modest budget traveller can find a Garden Deluxe Balcony room for affordable 69,999 baht a month...????

wIMG_0145_Sala-Tent_w1024.jpg.ac11b882fb60265958f21a888aee2db9.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 7:28 PM, khunPer said:

have a wide sandy almost private beach.

There are (supposedly) no private beaches in Thailand  however the military seem to have granted themself exceptions ( as per normal)

Fully open way south, and with a number of guests visible, is the luxurious looking "The Tent" by Sala, with a bargain for long stayers – well relative – only 139,9899 baht a month for Oceanfront Balcony Pool Suite; however, the modest budget traveller can find a Garden Deluxe Balcony room for affordable 69,999 baht a month...

The Sala at Choengmon has been open with guests all through the lock down. But definitely not at those prices.

• Thanks 1

however, the modest budget traveller can find a Garden Deluxe Balcony room for affordable 69,999 baht a month...????

Pfft I can't believe too many people would be interested in such a great deal ! :crazy:

2 hours ago, johng said:

Pfft I can't believe too many people would be interested in such a great deal ! :crazy:

It's only 2,334 baht a day, including breakfast for two...????

It seemed like quite a number of guests were there, when I passed Sala, they had more guests than the modest affordable places I know; they are normally about same price level, or even slightly higher, but a the moment offering an extra discount, so some are just below 1,000 baht a day, but that's of course excluding breakfast, or with a so-called "mini breakfast", whatever that is? Seems like affordable luxury might be more attractive than discounted modest accommodation...????

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 3:14 AM, Gervais Bilodeau said:

My first visit was in 1991.

Yes It was superb back then.

My last visit in Lamai beach was in 2013 and I could barely recognize anything from 5 years before.

I will never go back again.

I'm the other way around. I first visited Samui in 2011 and been on vacation 11 times on Samui after that. I can't wait to get back. First 4 vacations we stayed in Chaweng but now Lamai is our favorite place to stay with Mae nam and Chong moen coming in 2rd and 3rd. 4th would be fisherman's village and 5th Chaweng. But if you want totally quiet places there are lots of options south and south west on the island, but I can imagine that after this covid 19 chaos it will take quite some time before the island get back to normal, so maybe worth a visit for you soon if you prefer areas with few tourists? 

• Like 2