BANGKOK
finy

Do you think visas wil be extended past 31st July based on where you live?

2 hours ago, finy said:

So letting people stay who don't have coronavirus and are pumping money into economy to help what little businesses are open stay afloat doesn't sound like too bad an idea. In fact, it sounds like common sense.

Common Sense is one thing.  Immigration is something else entirely.  Long before covid, immigration force-closed thousands of small businesses, by "cracking down" on tourists "here too much," spending foreign-sourced funds here. 

Will the current situation be enough to change that mindset?  Or will the impetus be to only help the big-businesses that benefited from the crony-connected (often foreign-owned) "tour group" tourism?  Only time will tell - but I am not holding my breath for a policy that helps small businesses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Clearly a new extension will be their only choice or hundreds  thousands people will show at consulates around.

Not difficult to understand.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, scoupeo said:

Clearly a new extension will be their only choice or hundreds  thousands people will show at consulates around.

Not difficult to understand.

They don't care...the consulates will allow x amount of people per day and process the exact same # of applications they did before the virus...it's the Visa seekers that will have  to queue for multiple days to gain access to the window. 

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

What do you think happens for someone on a METC who went to immigration to extend for 30 days in February, even though their 60 days stay in the country didn't end until March? Will immigration possibly add this onto the 31st July amnesty period as they didn't need to do the 30 days extension initially because the amnesty started from 26th March (but the extension was done a week before the amnesty period)?

Edited by bbi1

9 hours ago, Oldie said:

I am wondering. If I planned a holiday in Thailand and cannot go back to my home country after my planed holiday is over I would have a problem. But if I wanted to stay very long I would have applied for a visa allowing this. So what kind of people are happy that they don't have to go back? 

Snow birds come to mind, retired people who usually spend the winter in Thailand and then go back home. Depending on where "home" is, they might well have been happy to sit out the pandemic in Thailand.

On 6/6/2020 at 4:07 PM, ubonjoe said:

If border crossings and flights are available in and out then it will not be extended. If not it will be extended for another month or so.

Guess the permissions to stay with a valid visa will be extended. 

Posted (edited)

I printed out their confirmation that I do not have go to the border until 31st July to pop in and out on my multi entry O visa, unless I hear that the border is open before that date. my concern is that will the border open before? or should it be extended I await the confirmation. It would seem reasonable to allow me to go to my local immigration to have a 3 month renewal stamp put in at no extra charge, plus no lost of validity, that way border crossings would not be overwhelmed, and paperwork would be up to date. Still wishful thinking Eh?

Edited by phetpeter
  • Like 1