Do you think visas wil be extended past 31st July based on where you live?

2 hours ago, finy said:

So letting people stay who don't have coronavirus and are pumping money into economy to help what little businesses are open stay afloat doesn't sound like too bad an idea. In fact, it sounds like common sense.

Common Sense is one thing.  Immigration is something else entirely.  Long before covid, immigration force-closed thousands of small businesses, by "cracking down" on tourists "here too much," spending foreign-sourced funds here. 

Will the current situation be enough to change that mindset?  Or will the impetus be to only help the big-businesses that benefited from the crony-connected (often foreign-owned) "tour group" tourism?  Only time will tell - but I am not holding my breath for a policy that helps small businesses.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scoupeo said:

Clearly a new extension will be their only choice or hundreds  thousands people will show at consulates around.

Not difficult to understand.

They don't care...the consulates will allow x amount of people per day and process the exact same # of applications they did before the virus...it's the Visa seekers that will have  to queue for multiple days to gain access to the window. 

• Thanks 2

What do you think happens for someone on a METC who went to immigration to extend for 30 days in February, even though their 60 days stay in the country didn't end until March? Will immigration possibly add this onto the 31st July amnesty period as they didn't need to do the 30 days extension initially because the amnesty started from 26th March (but the extension was done a week before the amnesty period)?

Edited by bbi1

9 hours ago, Oldie said:

I am wondering. If I planned a holiday in Thailand and cannot go back to my home country after my planed holiday is over I would have a problem. But if I wanted to stay very long I would have applied for a visa allowing this. So what kind of people are happy that they don't have to go back? 

Snow birds come to mind, retired people who usually spend the winter in Thailand and then go back home. Depending on where "home" is, they might well have been happy to sit out the pandemic in Thailand.

On 6/6/2020 at 4:07 PM, ubonjoe said:

If border crossings and flights are available in and out then it will not be extended. If not it will be extended for another month or so.

Guess the permissions to stay with a valid visa will be extended. 

I printed out their confirmation that I do not have go to the border until 31st July to pop in and out on my multi entry O visa, unless I hear that the border is open before that date. my concern is that will the border open before? or should it be extended I await the confirmation. It would seem reasonable to allow me to go to my local immigration to have a 3 month renewal stamp put in at no extra charge, plus no lost of validity, that way border crossings would not be overwhelmed, and paperwork would be up to date. Still wishful thinking Eh?

Edited by phetpeter
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 8:19 PM, freesudani said:

Just saw a list of international airports re-opining dates , and they mostly are in late June and July, in a circumstance like this iMO citizens who have their homeland airport opened  by end of july will not be entitled to an extension , and the rest will be required to bring document from their country's embassy. So no i dont think there will be an extension for the amnesty.

If you are speaking about the same list I see then look again. It was a promotion drive by some travel company. It listed opening dates of countries who never closed in the first place.

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4973091

On 6/6/2020 at 4:07 PM, ubonjoe said:

If border crossings and flights are available in and out then it will not be extended. If not it will be extended for another month or so.

Quoting "The Night Owl", Bernard Trink, "Any comment would be superfluous. BUT, I Don't Give a Hoot!"

Thank you, ubonjoe.

I am in a right pickle. I am married to a Thai girl who has lived most of her life in Tokyo. She has a nice but small apartment in a nice area. She gets a pension, healthcare insurance etc from her dead husband's estate, but only a one year visa which must be renewed every year. We often go together in the spring to renew the visa and the fall to avoid the rainy season in Thailand. 

She left about 3 weeks ago to renew her visa....it takes about 2-3 months there....so she has no passport and cannot leave Japan until the new visa to stay there is issues. If I go to Tokyo to see her I must go through 14 days of quarantine when I go, and when I come back to Bangkok. I want to do 28 days in quarantine like I want a hole in my head.

I follow all the news about lifting of the quarantine and note that the UK has just introduced one (a bit late) but these laws are easier to introduce that to do away with. I am going stir crazy here on my own in Thailand and am awaiting the date when I can travel to Tokyo without quarantine or she can come here with out it.

2 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I am in a right pickle. I am married to a Thai girl who has lived most of her life in Tokyo. She has a nice but small apartment in a nice area. She gets a pension, healthcare insurance etc from her dead husband's estate, but only a one year visa which must be renewed every year. We often go together in the spring to renew the visa and the fall to avoid the rainy season in Thailand. 

She left about 3 weeks ago to renew her visa....it takes about 2-3 months there....so she has no passport and cannot leave Japan until the new visa to stay there is issues. If I go to Tokyo to see her I must go through 14 days of quarantine when I go, and when I come back to Bangkok. I want to do 28 days in quarantine like I want a hole in my head.

I follow all the news about lifting of the quarantine and note that the UK has just introduced one (a bit late) but these laws are easier to introduce that to do away with. I am going stir crazy here on my own in Thailand and am awaiting the date when I can travel to Tokyo without quarantine or she can come here with out it.

Many are in the same boat ............????

So letting people stay who don't have coronavirus and are pumping money into economy to help what little businesses are open stay afloat doesn't sound like too bad an idea. In fact, it sounds like common sense.

Yep.... million percent as they say. Most any farang still here is still able to self sustain so it makes perfect sense to allow them to remain. Transition period would be a kindly act for those who didn't run away. Boom another 3 months to anybody already here and impose strict restrictions on inbound traffic. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Dammmmn Good fortune mate.

On 6/6/2020 at 3:13 PM, finy said:

I know there doesn't seem to be a lot of common sense when it comes to extending the foreign visa amnesty, but I would be surprised if they didn't extend it for at least another 3 months come July.

Yeah I would like it extended but already been told big problem if my renewed passport doesn't turn up by July 31st.

Passport runs out 20th November and applied for renewal back in March. 

Been here 16 years and haven't a clue what to do. 

• Like 1