Why skin on my hand wrinkles so much after shower?

phungo

When I was in the US, I can take long showers and be in the pool for hours before my the skin on my fingers begin to wrinkle. 

But here in Bangkok, I take a 5 minute shower and skin on my finger starts to wrinkle right away. This happens to everyone in my family as well. So it has to be something to do with the water?

Does anyone have any theory on what exactly is happening here?

Thanks!

Edited by phungo

That is a very interesting question. I think the body does this because it is easier to hold a drink afterwards when your hands are wet ????????. Try the same with drinking water and water from the tap (without soap). If you get the same result perhaps the reason is the higher humidity of the air here and your skin is not that dry like in the US. Or perhaps it is a different soap. Just an assumption waiting for the Nobel Prize ???? So please let me know the results so that we can apply. ????

Edited by Oldie
  • Like 1

I find that in the hot season and right afterwards there seems to be a high salt content in the water, this might account for it. If  that is it, will improve as we get further into the rainy season

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Oldie said:

That is a very interesting question. I think the body does this because it is easier to hold a drink afterwards when your hands are wet ????????. Try the same with drinking water and water from the tap (without soap). If you get the same result perhaps the reason is the higher humidity of the air here and your skin is not that dry like in the US. Or perhaps it is a different soap. Just an assumption waiting for the Nobel Prize ???? So please let me know the results so that we can apply. ????

i like your scientific approach will give it a try and report back!

• Thanks 1

My original response wasn't a troll post. If one does an Internet search on the topic they'll find several suggestions (as scientists are still studying the effect and proposing theories). 

Scientists long thought that wrinkly fingers were caused by osmosis—swelling of the outer layer of the skin as water seeped into cells; or that staying in water for a long time washes away the sebum, a thin layer of oil that coats the skin, allowing the skin to become waterlogged. Or that 'salt' levels had...

The most recent consensus is:

The skin on human fingers and toes is known as glabrous, meaning it is smooth and hairless, and when it has been in contact with water for a long time the glabrous skin can look like a prune. Pruney fingers occur when the nervous system sends a message to the blood vessels to become narrower. The narrowed blood vessels reduce the volume of the fingertips slightly, causing loose folds of skin that form wrinkles.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322705#conditions