BANGKOK
Why Me

Are DHL packages always opened by Customs?

Asking as the title says. No not contraband, just meds, few strips of tablets, for personal use that I am running low on that I can't get here. I don't want the rigmarole of dealing with customs. If that be the case I'll just ride it out till I get home again.

• Haha 1

No. Only if the package is suspicious. No issue if the meds are legit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

You will get charged import and processing fees ! 

Couriers are a bad idea unless its urgent and you dont mind the charges.

Charlie, are you saying they always open? My plan is have about a dozen strips put in a package with a prescription and some other docs (nothing to do with meds).

The meds are not going to be declared at the sending DHL office. But if the parcel gets opened then the prescription tells them it's all legit. But then I think the meds will get confiscated anyway because they are not Thai FDA approved.

I was thinking of taking a chance if it came under the radar but if they always open then I don't want to lose the expensive sending fee and the cost of the meds.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ezzra said:

DHL FedEx and others will always scan/open all packages and tax and VAT them even items valued under $50,

Always? Then I am out.

If you don't feel you can declare them, then you are probably pushing the envelope... you might ask a pharmacist. A good pharmacist would know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

You will get charged import and processing fees ! 

Couriers are a bad idea unless its urgent and you dont mind the charges.

Can you explain how this can be circumvented if possible i am in the process of getting a parcel from Germany to here (its a custom made model yacht) Expensive in Germany alone and liable for 22% import tax

BUT

Sadly deutsche post is DHL and to make matters worse only their premium service is working from Germany due to covid

My thought are send it to UK and bring back with me as luggage  in September thats if i can return

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Why Me said:
2 hours ago, ezzra said:

DHL FedEx and others will always scan/open all packages and tax and VAT them even items valued under $50,

Always? Then I am out.

My Mrs just got some herbal supplement liquid in a bottle for 30USD from iHerb shop online in USA sent by DHL this week. Not opened, no extra charges.

Manuka Honey was once stuck in customs and would not be released without a medical cert.

• Haha 1

they are ex-ray'd at the sorting facility.

Never send anything by courier ,stuff has been sent twice and both times customes tried to screw me ,sent via ems everything has always arrived in 15 years ,including my prescription meds

• Like 2