Mouth

tgeezer

Discussing subjects such as this with my Thai friend often leads to even more confusion, but I may have got the gist of what she was saying.  นินทา and อย่าเม้าท์  both can refer to gossip and are very much the same. But อย่าเม้าท์  can also refer to simply talking about other people in a non-gossipy way, or in this case, 'don't talk about other people.'

For example, if we were in a restaurant and people at another table were loud, drunk and obnoxious, I might make an observation of that and say something to my companion. She might respond, อย่าเม้าท์ถึงคนอื่น, 'don't talk about other people'. To me that isn't like spreading a juicy tidbit of gossip, it's just talking about people doing something. Some consider that to be rude. Rude like one step below actually pointing your finger at someone. I just point at which doughnut I want and my friend smacks my hand.

My friend also said เม้าท์ several times as it might relate to 'mouth to mouth', as in two people leaning close together to talk quietly about someone else, swapping information mouth to mouth. Also as in kissing mouth to mouth.

So my first post was wrong. เม้าท์ can mean gossip. Since the word is English it probably owes its Thai meaning to phrases like , all mouth and trousers, mouthy, big mouth etc. rather than gossip. เม้าท์ was suggested to me by a native speaker as another way of saying นินทา.   Needless to say it is useful to know in case we hear it.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 5:43 AM, digbeth said:

เม้าท์มอย มอย is nonsense that is added, the gist is similar to chitchatting 

otherwise เม้าท์ in Thai is usually similar to mounthing off someone 

I think that the following is an example of chitchatting.
วิธีการนี้ กำลังมีในประเทศไทย ระวังมีสติกันด้วยในชุมชน ไม่ต้องยกมือถือขึ้นมา โดอยเฉพาะตอนเดิน ขึ้นลง รถไฟฟ้า ไม่ต้องเม้าท์ เลย 

"This sort of thing is happening in Thailand, be aware in gatherings, no need to use your phone especially when walking, boarding or alighting the BTS, no need to chat on the phone."  
This was a caption to a film of a gang of five men jostling a person while one of them snatches the phone. 

An example of เมาท์ 

Three old ladies sitting together chatting. 
เป็นผู้เฒ่าเม้าท์ในไลน์สบายจิตหยอกกันนิดลอ้กันหน่อยปล่อยความเหงา อย่าสาหาความยามนักเบา อายุเราเข้าขึ้นสวรรค์รอ 
It is contented elderly "gossipy" people in a line teasing one another a little "Don't take it seriously at our age we are waiting to go up to heaven. 
เมาท์ As an adjective. (?)  

Very insightful thread, I appreciate it. I only knew the regular word for gossip.

One thing is for sure, I can't read Thai, but I can speak it quite well and understand it. Whew, the extent that Thai folks talk about each other let alone foriegners, is quite shocking. Real petty, matters.

It's like some of them need someone to just be like 'Take it easy and worry about your damn self.' Ha   #Asia

7 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

Very insightful thread, I appreciate it. I only knew the regular word for gossip.

One thing is for sure, I can't read Thai, but I can speak it quite well and understand it. Whew, the extent that Thai folks talk about each other let alone foriegners, is quite shocking. Real petty, matters.

It's like some of them need someone to just be like 'Take it easy and worry about your damn self.' Ha   #Asia

Gossipy has inverted commas to show that gossip might not be the correct word. นินทา (ninta) is the say bad things about people behind their backs. 
Gossip is something which the target should never know about because it won't be engaged in with people one can't trust.   If you have overheard people talking about you in a negative way then it is likely that you have misunderstood or it was said for you to hear. 
I think that you are lucky to be able to understand Thai without being able to read or write it, I trust that you do at least use phonetics, so to address your "Take it easy and worry about yourself". Do you know the Thai expression for this? 

For those who read, I made a mistake in my copy, it should read อย่าถือสาหาความยามนักเบา and for those who don't read;  Ya teusa ha kwam yaam nak baw