Department targets 100,000 saliva tests by June-end

rooster59

Department targets 100,000 saliva tests by June-end

By The Nation

800_34714f777a0e076.jpg

The Department of Medical Sciences aims to conduct proactive Covid-19 tests on 100,000 people nationwide by the end of June.

Dr Opas Kankawinpong, director-general of the department, said that according to the saliva test results of 6,380 people, including foreign workers, retailers, public transport drivers, and medical personnel, only one person was shown positive.

"This shows that Thailand has a low epidemic rate as most Covid-19 patients are people who returned from other countries," he said.

"In Bangkok alone, 4,856 people from the target of 15,000 people have already taken the saliva test and all were negative."

He added that the best time to take the saliva test for Covid-19 was in the morning after waking up.

"People who would like to take this test should not brush their teeth, use mouthwash, eat, drink, or chew gum for at least one hour before the saliva is collected, otherwise it may lead to an inaccurate result," he added.

"However, we will not conduct the test on a patient under investigation and people at risk of Covid-19 infection."

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389163

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-07

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In Bangkok alone, 4,856 people from the target of 15,000 people have already taken the saliva test and all were negative.

Remind me why the State of Emergency and business closures are still in place?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

since very few tests have been performed over the last 5 months perhaps a better approach would to test for antibodies to determine how many actually had the virus

And risk popping the normalcy bubble?  They're not going to do that. <laughs>

• Like 1

The bad news is tests are unreliable. The good news is the virus is believed to have been in Thailand longer than originally thought.

This could mean enough people have already been infected to provide herd immunity from a second wave. We'll find out one way or another once the schools open next month.

Fingers crossed. . . 

from what I have read the antibody tests have a 15-50% false positive rate so they are virtually worthless.  

some cities near me ran a 1 day testing location.  2000 baht.  no fred testing in USA as far as I know.  I had a friend who had a surgical procedure 3 weeks ago.  negarive covid test on a Monday required before Wednesday surgery.   his insurance statement said the test bill alone  was 1900$ USD. about 62,000 baht.  This world is f'd up.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46757474/antibody-testing-shows-many-utahns-had-covid-19-but-did-not-know-it-results-higher-because-of-self-selection

I should add that 3 times in the last week we broke state records for new highest number of new cases.  just 1 week as go never over 240 in 1 day.   restaurants allowed to open May 15th amd restrictions lifted on  some gatherings, then in last 7 days case # popped, a 345 day, 400+, and 500+ yesterday and people still not wearing masks and in denial. 

https://www.ksl.com/article/46761715/coronavirus-updates-stay-up-to-date-on-covid-19-news-here

USA is screwed

Edited by Elkski

32 minutes ago, Elkski said:

from what I have read the antibody tests have a 15-50% false positive rate so they are virtually worthless. 

There are newer much more accurate tests but they do need to be done in a lab using specific equipment.

I guess that's not going to be cheap and and plentiful right now but it's available. The accuracy and specificity of these new tests are very high, about as good as we could expect it, I think the numbers were something like 100% spedificity and 99.9x accuracy.

The tests used before this new generation of tests were not fit for purpose - I agree about them being virtually worthless - they were complete garbage!

21 hours ago, Elkski said:

some cities near me ran a 1 day testing location.  2000 baht.  no fred testing in USA as far as I know.  I had a friend who had a surgical procedure 3 weeks ago.  negarive covid test on a Monday required before Wednesday surgery.   his insurance statement said the test bill alone  was 1900$ USD. about 62,000 baht.  This world is f'd up.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46757474/antibody-testing-shows-many-utahns-had-covid-19-but-did-not-know-it-results-higher-because-of-self-selection

I should add that 3 times in the last week we broke state records for new highest number of new cases.  just 1 week as go never over 240 in 1 day.   restaurants allowed to open May 15th amd restrictions lifted on  some gatherings, then in last 7 days case # popped, a 345 day, 400+, and 500+ yesterday and people still not wearing masks and in denial. 

https://www.ksl.com/article/46761715/coronavirus-updates-stay-up-to-date-on-covid-19-news-here

USA is screwed

Just so you know, almost ever county in the US has free covid testing.  Here is an article from a local paper.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20200513/coronavirus-florida-wellington-test-site-up-and-running-provides-free-covid-19-tests

If you have insurance which more than 90 percent of Americans do then it is probably free at the local clinic or doctor's office.  

Everyone I know who wants a test in the states has gotten them and no one I know of was charged $1,900.

2 minutes ago, AKJeff said:

Just so you know, almost ever county in the US has free covid testing.  Here is an article from a local paper.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20200513/coronavirus-florida-wellington-test-site-up-and-running-provides-free-covid-19-tests

If you have insurance which more than 90 percent of Americans do then it is probably free at the local clinic or doctor's office.  

Everyone I know who wants a test in the states has gotten them and no one I know of was charged $1,900.

What does that have to do with this topic ?

This thread is about Thailand , nothing to do with USA

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

What does that have to do with this topic ?

This thread is about Thailand , nothing to do with USA

I was only responding to the person before me talking about the USA.  I don't know why he brought it up.  I just quoted him and then gave a different experience.   Ask him why he brought the USA into the discussion. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AKJeff said:

I was only responding to the person before me talking about the USA.  I don't know why he brought it up.  I just quoted him and then gave a different experience.   Ask him why he brought the USA into the discussion. 

Oh yeah, I did meant to reply to him. sorry bout dat

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

so the 100k is not a PCR test, but .. what kind uses saliva? 

Answering myself:

Seems promising. The next question is, is MoPH using the same type multi-tier confirmation and publishing control for positives as they are for RT-PCR tests.

• Like 2