Thailand prepares for discreet reopening of tourism industry

rooster59

12 hours ago, Solidpoo said:

If it wasnt for my thai partner i would never ever go to thailand more than once. Wouldnt even pop up in my list of places to visit for a relaxing holiday

I still don't understand why anyone would head there for a holiday. Not exactly cheap, corruption, everyone's constantly trying to scam you, bloody hot weather, polluted, dirty, loud, high risk of dying on the road.. list goes on.

Hmmmm..not for you then....?

13 hours ago, Solidpoo said:

If it wasnt for my thai partner i would never ever go to thailand more than once.

Presuming the 'partner' as above is female, it's always fun to read the comments of the farang male who has left Thailand, is planning to leave Thailand, or maybe is 'stuck' in Thailand, for whom everything about Thailand is rank terrible except for their chosen specimen of female Thai fauna.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

Presuming the 'partner' as above is female, it's always fun to read the comments of the farang male who has left Thailand, is planning to leave Thailand, or maybe is 'stuck' in Thailand, for whom everything about Thailand is rank terrible except for their chosen specimen of female Thai fauna.

I actually know 2 Thai ladies who dont want to live in Thailand both married to Farang, prefer to live in Farang land

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

I actually know 2 Thai ladies who dont want to live in Thailand both married to Farang, prefer to live in Farang land

And I know a Thai ex-stewardess who worked at German Lufthansa and even get pension from the German pension funds. Still she refuses to settle in Germany with her German husband because Germans mistitle and bash her as a prostitute all the time. 

But Germans, of course, are not racists. Germans are honorable people. I know them very well , I'm one them. 

6 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

My ex was also one of those.  She does not like to even come for a visit, but her folks make her. She would rather travel in the USA, and now that she has a US passport the sky is the limit with her millionaire new husband....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My ex was also one of those.  She does not like to even come for a visit, but her folks make her. She would rather travel in the USA, and now that she has a US passport the sky is the limit with her millionaire new husband....

The ones I know have British passports they think its great being entitled to all the benefits, I thought of another one so thats 3 I know  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Still nice for the farang to visit Thailand and come back home with a souvenir.

• Sad 1

Sorry to crash the party, but I got a very reliable information from a good friend that TH is planning to extend the flight ban for another month. It`s a direct information his boss got from a high-ranked source in the government. Normally I don`t trust such rumors, but that source was 100% accurate the last 6 times.

Let`s see, what they finally decide, but one actual problem is, that they totally miscalculated the repatriation flights.

15 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Might not be all anti-Thai racism. Another explanation is the people in farang-land are perplexed at why such a hot-looking Thai woman would be with a frumpy, overweight farang...must be a prostitute is probably the easiest way to explain it. Look around here. Farangs have Thai wives left and right who aren't prostitutes and are about a trillion times hotter than any woman they could land back at home given their age and looks. In their home country, the only way they could get within ten feet of such a woman would be to hire her. 

Correct. 

It is simply beyond Farangs' imagination that a good-looking Thai lady could be something else than a prostitute. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Might not be all anti-Thai racism. Another explanation is the people in farang-land are perplexed at why such a hot-looking Thai woman would be with a frumpy, overweight farang...must be a prostitute is probably the easiest way to explain it. Look around here. Farangs have Thai wives left and right who aren't prostitutes and are about a trillion times hotter than any woman they could land back at home given their age and looks. In their home country, the only way they could get within ten feet of such a woman would be to hire her. 

Correct. 

It is simply beyond their imagination that a good-looking Thai could be anything but a prostitute. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

but that source was 100% accurate the last 6 times.

It's always easy to predict a continuation of the current situation, whatever that might be, you will be only wrong once.

I use it all the time when people tell me they feel ill "you'll be fine", 99% of the time i am right and the 1% that i am not right, they are not around to complain about it anymore.

23 hours ago, aussienam said:

What is really disheartening for a country I considered has a heart, is no talk of all the expats stranded who are not looking at a leisurely trip at their own convenience, but are completely and utterly desperate to get back. 

We are renting homes- paying double rents because of being stranded, others own homes, have lives, families and cannot come back.  But all I read daily is nothing about us. 

Business people are being allowed back now with expensive quarantine.  But those of us in the middle - expat farangs, feel we have been ignored and discarded.  Like we are unwanted trash.  Maybe that is what we are?

It truly is saddening.  I really hope I am wrong and the true heart of the Thai people give us priority to get back before the eventual tourist swarms.  

We are suffering.  

It comes down to status here. Almost none of us are residents - the visas we are on are specifically "non-resident". Most of the Western countries have (or had) similar restrictions right now. I saw Australia is only letting in citizens, residents, and immediate families. Canada is only letting citizens and residents in - immediate family that are not residents are being classified as non-essential. Thailand is no stricter (or has less a heart), than most of our original countries. 

8 minutes ago, WhatsNext said:

It's always easy to predict a continuation of the current situation, whatever that might be, you will be only wrong once.

I use it all the time when people tell me they feel ill "you'll be fine", 99% of the time i am right and the 1% that i am not right, they are not around to complain about it anymore.

I wasnt`t talking about the last 6 times, that the source said "it will be extended". It was more like "they will implement this and that". I am talking about a 5*Hotel in BKK belonging to an international chain. Guess all of those Hotels (at least the GM`s) have their sources to get the infos first hand and before the public.

2 hours ago, micmichd said:

Correct. 

It is simply beyond Farangs' imagination that a good-looking Thai lady could be something else than a prostitute. 

A farangs imagination would reflexively be "If shes go it, and flaunting it" most probably she is capitalising on 'it' financially; with some horizontal gymnastics. Prostitute is such a coarse word ! A lady amenable to entertainment is more suitable.

Edited by Bangkocker

23 minutes ago, Bangkocker said:

A farangs imagination would reflexively be "If shes go it, and flaunting it" most probably she is capitalising on 'it' financially; with some horizontal gymnastics. Prostitute is such a coarse word ! A lady amenable to entertainment is more suitable.

OK, a paramedic, a sexual healer. I would prefer this label. 

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2020 at 10:58 AM, Traubert said:

There are no lockdowns in China now.

The figures are 130 hospitalised, 236 quarantined and 1776 PUI. As of 3.56 this afternoon.

And there were never any protest deaths at a certain square in Beijing , right ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/7/2020 at 10:32 AM, TheAppletons said:

Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Hong Kong, Vietnam....

Sure, but what if all/any of these countries don't want to reciprocate? 

Meaning:

a). They don't want to do a 2 way process, don't want to allow Thai folks to enter right now (enter New Zealand/Australia and more). I have little doubt the OZ government would be skeptical about Thai data on infections, recovered, ICU numbers, deaths, and no doubt the Australian Ambassador in Bkk would be confirming these doubts. 

b). After the 'others' (meaning the folks from New Zealand/Australia, return from Thailand), would there be an increased chance they bring the virus back home? New Zealand and Australia are doing very well, low numbers on all factors and still taking no chances of a 2nd wave coming in.

Further point; right now the Australians who are just getting repatriation flights to return home, have to do 14 days compulsory hotel quarantine and it's free.

Australian coming home from a recent holiday in Thailand would also have to 14 days compulsory hotel quarantine but very doubtful it would be free (not valid to expect Australian taxpayers to foot the bill) so for 14 days quarantine hotel, food etc., the bill would add to a sizable amount, on top of the actual holiday costs. Better to stay home or take a domestic holiday. 

Seems to me the whole situation needs to calm down a lot more before regional/global travel reopens.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Oh dear - naive` husbands ?? Then when they arrive in farang land the women will become workaholics and send money back home (just for a rainy day hahah). Even though the exchange rates are low - farang money still buys heaps for a thrifty Thai. They will learn the farang legal system - that favours women  - and eventually screw their husbands - then return home as wealthy women. Tsk, tsk.

Edited by Bangkocker
  • Confused 1

Re: health conscious travellers.

OMG, you mean that the majority of travellers coming to Thailand are not normally health consicious.

Dam, you learn something new everyday about Thailand tourists. 55555

PM and Co, you've got to be #$#%$##% kidding. 

4 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Beginning July 1, arriving passengers at Keflavík International Airport will be charged ISK 15,000 (USD 113; EUR 100) for being tested for the novel coronavirus, if they opt for testing instead of spending 14 days in quarantine.

https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/nature_and_travel/2020/06/08/fee_for_coronavirus_test_at_airport_isk_15_000/

That's a good way to do it. 100€ should not be a showstopper if you fly over there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, essox essox said:

so how come that I just read that the Government is considering an extention of the state of emergency ??? Left hand does not know what right hand is doing.....as often is thee case in this place !!

Where did you read that