BANGKOK
rooster59

The week that was in Thailand news: We trusted in Thailand to change: At least she still makes us laugh!

4 hours ago, Marpa47 said:

Enjoying your many articles.  The personal touch in “the week that was” is as always a very rewarding read.  

Cheers, this was consecutive edition #219.

See the archive for ones you might have missed.

Thanks for reading,

Rooster

• Like 1

2 hours ago, off road pat said:

Well,...Rooster,...

This one was one of your best !!!

I enjoyed it !!!

Best Regards !

Thank you very much,

and thanks for reading.

How many have you read!?

Rooster

Only in La la Land could you destroy the huge market of P*&^ and Pu%$# and come up with the idea of flogging grass......   Truly a Somchai brain storm.......   Oh dear me...... If you had a dog as daft you'd shoot it..... 

Posted (edited)

good column rooster.  glad you finally pointed out some things  as truths.   I maintain that truth can't be Thai bashing.  it's nice you  pointed out the billionaire club.  please do more to educate  people on what's so terribly wrong in Thailand.  I hope you can see your destiny  and become one of the tools of change your life has groomed you for. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Wow, all that trust Rooster, just how tinted are your sunglasses? for that amount of trust I'd be surprised if you could see 3 feet in front of you in the midday sun...

I think you should research the word 'Ironic'

2 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Actually it's a paragraph, but thanks for reading anyway!

Rooster

Ok, Mr Perfect.

5 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

It's an English term, don't think it is really used elsewhere as it is believed to have roots in cockney rhyming slang which is of course native to London. Here is a short description from the internet.

There is another route to the word and this is via rhyming slang. Farmer and Henley's 1893 Dictionary of Slang defines 'grasshopper' as 'copper', that is, policeman. The theory is that a 'grass' is someone who works for the police and so has become a surrogate 'copper'. The rhyming slang link was certainly believed in 1950 by the lexicographer Paul Tempest, when he wrote Lag's lexicon: a comprehensive dictionary and encyclopaedia of the English prison to-day:

Thank you very much.  Would say “ man after my own heart” or “ that’s right up my alley” only wouldn’t want the follow ups.  😉

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Cheers, this was consecutive edition #219.

See the archive for ones you might have missed.

Thanks for reading,

Rooster

... and (May there continue to be) many moooooore!   One more thing.  About the success in Thailand as well as other oriental countries, two things strike me as influencing the astounding positive outcomes.  One is that, hewing to a Confucian tradition of familial piety so thoroughly ingrained as to be taken as a matter of course, the western ideal of ‘rugged individualism’ is rare and in this case thankfully so.  The second thing is that, having so recently delt with one or more of the SARS, MERS, Avian influenzas, there is a more well-thought-out plan of action, medical and scientific opinion carries their due weight of authority unimpeded and crucial institutions and procedures seem to have fallen in line almost automatically.  Contrast that with the good ole US of A and we find floundering incomprehensiblity from the top down with the White House having thrown away all the planning and preparation instituted by the prior administration.  Rioting against sequestering, masks being interpreted as political statements.   The list goes on.  The Etruscans are said to have had a philosophy that measured their civilizations history in cycles of 90 years.  Why 90 years and why cycles?  Because history is condemned to repeat itself unavoidably. 90 years because that is the amount of time to pass until the last of the elder wise ones, (having learned about the catastrophies in life and how to avoid and/or prepare for them), have all passed away and now the wisdom has to be learned all over in a new cycle because that’s just the way we are.  

Edited by Marpa47
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marpa47 said:

Thank you very much.  Would say “ man after my own heart” or “ that’s right up my alley” only wouldn’t want the follow ups.  😉

the less said about your alley the better,,, 😄

1 hour ago, Marpa47 said:

... and (May there continue to be) many moooooore!   One more thing.  About the success in Thailand as well as other oriental countries, two things strike me as influencing the astounding positive outcomes.  One is that, hewing to a Confucian tradition of familial piety so thoroughly ingrained as to be taken as a matter of course, the western ideal of ‘rugged individualism’ is rare and in this case thankfully so.  The second thing is that, having so recently delt with one or more of the SARS, MERS, Avian influenzas, there is a more well-thought-out plan of action, medical and scientific opinion carries their due weight of authority unimpeded and crucial institutions and procedures seem to have fallen in line almost automatically.  Contrast that with the good ole US of A and we find floundering incomprehensiblity from the top down with the White House having thrown away all the planning and preparation instituted by the prior administration.  Rioting against sequestering, masks being interpreted as political statements.   The list goes on.  The Etruscans are said to have had a philosophy that measured their civilizations history in cycles of 90 years.  Why 90 years and why cycles?  Because history is condemned to repeat itself unavoidably. 90 years because that is the amount of time to pass until the last of the elder wise ones, (having learned about the catastrophies in life and how to avoid and/or prepare for them), have all passed away and now the wisdom has to be learned all over in a new cycle because that’s just the way we are.  

Well written but I think sadly flawed. Thailand did not close down flights from China (or indeed Wuhan) immediately, the experience that you refer to of dealing with outbreaks was not so evident at all. I remember a late closure of the businesses and then a mass migration of workers travelling back to their villages right across the country. I think it is as I have said many times, the lack of cases in Thailand and indeed many other Asian countries is simply a matter of climate. Below is a simple statement on abc news, you can google but there is a lot of evidence that simply states the virus does not do as well in hot/humid climates and the higher the temperature the lower the infection rate.

I think it is a blessing for Thailand and many other countries that perhaps do not have the health systems or welfare assistance in place to help people who would otherwise suffer terribly. I am not saying western countries did everything perfectly, of course they did not, however it is easy to see the enormous difference in infection rates across the world and any sensible person would see that there is a pattern that is pretty firmly backed up with science. Anyway, I am happy for the Thai people but as I previously said this is not the topic to start point scoring against Western cultures. Thailand did a good job in many ways but I believe they would never have suffered in the same way as New York anyway.

“For every increase in heat of 1 degree Celsius (the equivalent of 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit), we are seeing about 2% decline in transmission,” public-health expert Ali Mokdad, the chief strategy officer for population health at the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, told ABC News. “We find this relationship in our data and possibly it would be more when the weather warms up this month.”

Another great catch up on the weeks news Rooster, Thanks. At least in Thailand

you should be able to have at least one English TV channel that is not all about George

Floyd or the Covid pandemic. Here in Canada, the CBC or Canadian Broadcasting Corporation

has a 10 PM news hour called the National, and recently they did a whole hour just

on the Floyd death and aftermath. Since then they and the other 2 TV stations have

done at least 15 minutes of this story, and more time on Covid, with less than

20 minutes of actual Nation or International news.  I hope there are a few more positive

changes in Thailand before I go over there again. I dream of a day when I could go there

without a visa for 60 to 90 days at least. I am glad to see some of the Klongs getting

a much needed cleanup. I do hope that much of Bangkok will be around until at least

2150 as it is still a substantial distance above the sea level at least in some areas.

I hope Thailand has another good week and more people can go back to work. The USA

will need much longer if they keep on protesting and marching, I forecast a big jump

in Covid cases in the coming weeks, even in Canada there have been rallies, and marches

and I will have no sympathy for the people who get sick because of their decisions.

Geezer

13 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Another great catch up on the weeks news Rooster, Thanks. At least in Thailand

you should be able to have at least one English TV channel that is not all about George

Floyd or the Covid pandemic. Here in Canada, the CBC or Canadian Broadcasting Corporation

has a 10 PM news hour called the National, and recently they did a whole hour just

on the Floyd death and aftermath. Since then they and the other 2 TV stations have

done at least 15 minutes of this story, and more time on Covid, with less than

20 minutes of actual Nation or International news.  I hope there are a few more positive

changes in Thailand before I go over there again. I dream of a day when I could go there

without a visa for 60 to 90 days at least. I am glad to see some of the Klongs getting

a much needed cleanup. I do hope that much of Bangkok will be around until at least

2150 as it is still a substantial distance above the sea level at least in some areas.

I hope Thailand has another good week and more people can go back to work. The USA

will need much longer if they keep on protesting and marching, I forecast a big jump

in Covid cases in the coming weeks, even in Canada there have been rallies, and marches

and I will have no sympathy for the people who get sick because of their decisions.

Geezer

its a very interesting point about the rallies, it stands to reason infections could increase. My friend in Berlin told me the story of a church that was permitted to open. 170 people attended mass on 1 day and 40 people were tracked as getting infected, 25% in 2 hours! I think though people have had enough now and they want to get back to work and take their chances, so the easing of the lockdowns will likely accelerate, as the old saying goes "give them an inch they take a mile". 

4 hours ago, Elkski said:

good column rooster.  glad you finally pointed out some things  as truths.   I maintain that truth can't be Thai bashing.  it's nice you  pointed out the billionaire club.  please do more to educate  people on what's so terribly wrong in Thailand.  I hope you can see your destiny  and become one of the tools of change your life has groomed you for. 

Thanks, but I'm not sure I want to be a tool.

🙂

Thanx (a Scrabble word) for reading

Rooster

• Like 1