Washington prepares for major protest as Democratic officials move to rein in police

rooster59

42 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

What I see is that the police unions have overly high tolerance for bad behavior that protect the bad cops. Those same unions contribute heavily to the democrat party and the Democrats who run the cities. 

To pretend there is a large number of racist police officers is ridiculous. 

Fix the actual structural issues that prevent bad cops from being fired. 

Can we agree with this? 

Or must everything be twisted into the fault of the right that doesn't run these urban police departments? 

Do you think the police departments have “completely” failed in its duties to oversee itself ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

These protests are anything but what the "so called leader" is characterizing them as. Most are peaceful. What he really means when he accuses peaceful protestors of being thugs and terrorists, is that they are not paying sufficient fealty to him, and the protests are making him look bad. And yes, my political allegiance is no secret. 

The president has tried to portray the protesters and looters with a broad brush as “radical-left, bad people,” ominously invoking the name “antifa,” an umbrella term for leftist militants bound more by belief than organizational structure. Trump tweeted last Sunday that he planned to designate antifa as a terrorist organization. “These are acts of domestic terror,” Trump said in a Rose Garden speech Monday, moments before heavily armed troops and riot police advanced without warning on the largely peaceful protesters across the street from the White House.

https://time.com/5849592/antifa-far-right-violent-trump-protesters/

My original comment had nothing to do with the politics only the protests themselves. And I don't take notice of one news item as a general case but view or read as many as I can if interested. It concerns me not if there are political agendas left, right or any other orientation there should be no violence anywhere if the protest is genuine and peaceful. As I've mentioned elsewhere I have been involved in protests and peaceful protesters do have to carry some responsibility in the conduct of their rally. If it turns violent it degrades the meaning of the original intention and peaceful protesters should make sure their rally is well distanced from the violence....however, I'd be the first to say this is easier said than done.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TKDfella said:

My original comment had nothing to do with the politics only the protests themselves. And I don't take notice of one news item as a general case but view or read as many as I can if interested. It concerns me not if there are political agendas left, right or any other orientation there should be no violence anywhere if the protest is genuine and peaceful. As I've mentioned elsewhere I have been involved in protests and peaceful protesters do have to carry some responsibility in the conduct of their rally. If it turns violent it degrades the meaning of the original intention and peaceful protesters should make sure their rally is well distanced from the violence....however, I'd be the first to say this is easier said than done.

Well, of course what you say is true. But, it is a bit akin to saying all deep sea fishermen should always avoid catching younger fish, and if they cannot, then no fishing should be done at all. In an ideal world, yes peaceful protests are what we are seeking. But, there is alot of pent up rage out there, especially after the insane economic shutdown. And it is a reasonable expectation that some are going to turn violent. I do not believe that in any way negates the positive and socially beneficial aspects of these democratic, and largely peaceful protests. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, of course what you say is true. But, it is a bit akin to saying all deep sea fishermen should always avoid catching younger fish, and if they cannot, then no fishing should be done at all. In an ideal world, yes peaceful protests are what we are seeking. But, there is alot of pent up rage out there, especially after the insane economic shutdown. And it is a reasonable expectation that some are going to turn violent. I do not believe that in any way negates the positive and socially beneficial aspects of these democratic, and largely peaceful protests. 

That's my point. Policing fish catches is important because of the sustainable aspect. Leave fisherman to their own devices and blah blah blah. It has long been established throughout ancient history that we human beings just need some general institution to ensure some kind of law and order. In the times of the first known 'civilisation' in the near east rules for living were handed down by the 'gods' that were worshipped at the time and the law courts were based on this. Of course since then religion and law enforcement became separated but both maintain a code that is intended for our guidance. Break one and it's all 'hell' break the other and it's prison.

To quote an example about enforcement; how many times on TV has it been mentioned the need for proper enforcement on the Thai roads? How many times has it been stated that the traffic laws are not enforced with appropriate punishment?

With modern day technology the criminal is able to circumvent many obstacles and the Police need to keep pace with all that but this takes financial backing in an on going way. With any institution there will always be those 'bad apples' but that is not a reason for de-funding or shutting that institution down.

I watched the video today where Jacob Frey basically admitted fault (why he should even think that, I don't know) to a BLM gathering whereupon they asked if he was in favour of de-funding the police and he replied in favour. But when they asked him if he was in favour of dismantling the police and he replied that he was Not in favour of that, they literally told him to get out then booed and jeered him as he walked away. Both left and right should be worried about this.

Edited by TKDfella
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Today it's "Defund the police" tomorrow it will be "Abolish the Police" The democrats got some serious crazy to rein in. But, nobody is calling it for what it is. 

Well, it's here already it seems; 'Nine members of the Minneapolis city council have vowed to dismantle the city's police department...' (various news outlets). Jacob Frey remains against this but apparently he cannot veto it.

Edited by TKDfella
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Today it's "Defund the police" tomorrow it will be "Abolish the Police" The democrats got some serious crazy to rein in. But, nobody is calling it for what it is. 

Yes...and next week it will be "The Purge/ Part 8" ...:passifier:

• Confused 1