Link for comparing phones

OP - So i finally bought my first Smart phone - nice size screen, hoping I could use it in conjunction - in a nice and easy way with my laptop, seems like I was wrong.

I use LINE and Skype and email on my laptop or rather I did.

Now it seems I can only use them on my Smart phone.

On the laptop I am fine and quick, few spelling errors and easy to see what I have typed whichever program I was using.

I am slow on the phone ( age ) so it keeps shutting down and, find finger touch difficult so I end up miss spelling particularly where the keys are close with often used letters.

Have been told not to use complicated passwords with the phone even if I use one for security on opening phone, for example I have 3 email accounts for many many years with mixed language passwords takes forever with the phone.

Have tried deleting LINE, Skype on my laptop, download again and install but it won't allow me to set up a new account.

Just how many more apps that I use on my laptop I won't now be able to use again if they are also on the phone whether or not I have signed in to them ?

If I buy a new SIM with a different number for the Smart phone ( currently using old one from previous pocket phone ) will that work.

HELP please

Is there any way round this - how can I open up accounts on my laptop

On 6/9/2020 at 1:14 PM, Speedo1968 said:

Have tried deleting LINE, Skype on my laptop, download again and install but it won't allow me to set up a new account.

Have you read here - http://help.line.me/line/win/categoryId/10000309/pc?lang=en

Did you delete as per the instructions?

My understanding is you can normally only have one Line account. If you have set up a new one on your phone it is easy to have that duplicated across onto your laptop - as I have done.

I note you have already received some help on the pc forum on this so hopefully you have solved it.

Skype you should just be able to set up on your pc and then sign in with whatever sign in you have previously set up or the one you have set on your phone? I do not understand why you can't.

• Like 1

"Have been told not to use complicated passwords with the phone even if I use one for security on opening phone, for example I have 3 email accounts for many many years with mixed language passwords takes forever with the phone."

Get a Password Minder.

Then no hassle.

Have been told not to use complicated passwords with the phone even if I use one for security on opening phone, for example I have 3 email accounts for many many years with mixed language passwords takes forever with the phone.

On many smartphones you'll have a number of options for unlocking to use the phone. While some of the upper-end phones can use a fingerprint, most any will also allow you to set a 'clean swipe' (no password), PATTERN (line shape), PIN (number) or PASSWORD (alphanumeric) for the initial unlock.

If you have an actual Email APP on the phone they can usually be set to remember your password (or a token key if the email service allows 'Oauth2' no-set-password authentication)

As already suggested, there are many password vault programs you can install that will aid in providing your odd/complicated passwords on demand (and the password vault process can be protected with a single password). 

If you're encountering issues you want help with you'll need to be specific by saying the type of phone and the app or process you're having difficulty getting to work easily. 

On 6/9/2020 at 7:14 AM, Speedo1968 said:

OP - So i finally bought my first Smart phone - nice size screen, hoping I could use it in conjunction - in a nice and easy way with my laptop, seems like I was wrong.

On the laptop I am fine and quick, few spelling errors and easy to see what I have typed whichever program I was using.

I am slow on the phone ( age ) so it keeps shutting down and, find finger touch difficult so I end up miss spelling particularly where the keys are close with often used letters.

Just how many more apps that I use on my laptop I won't now be able to use again if they are also on the phone whether or not I have signed in to them ?

If I buy a new SIM with a different number for the Smart phone ( currently using old one from previous pocket phone ) will that work.

HELP please

I agree that GSMArena is an excellent tool for choosing a phone - even allows you to filter results to directly compare the features of different phones.

Did you DELETE those Apps or UNINSTALL them? It's imperative, as with a PC, to UNINSTALL not just delete the Icons. In other words, do NOT just delete and install over the top, but completely UNINSTALL ensuring  that the Apps no longer appear in the Settings  > Apps list.

For good measure (and theoretically this shouldn't be necessary) UNINSTALL the App, power the phone off (do not do a Restart), power up and then install the App again.

I don't use Line so cannot comment, but I do use Email, Skype, and WhatsApp on my phone / tablet and PC and they all sync together with no problem. As long as the devices are logged into the same accounts, they "just do it" in the background.

If you change SIM and hence number, you may have to tell some Apps the new number (or rather you may have to confirm the change.)

This applies to WhatsApp, email doesn't need to know phone numbers, nor does Skype. As I say, I don't know about Line

Edited by VBF

12 hours ago, RichCor said:

On many smartphones you'll have a number of options for unlocking to use the phone. While some of the upper-end phones can use a fingerprint, most any will also allow you to set a 'clean swipe' (no password), PATTERN (line shape), PIN (number) or PASSWORD (alphanumeric) for the initial unlock.

If you have an actual Email APP on the phone they can usually be set to remember your password (or a token key if the email service allows 'Oauth2' no-set-password authentication)

As already suggested, there are many password vault programs you can install that will aid in providing your odd/complicated passwords on demand (and the password vault process can be protected with a single password). 

If you're encountering issues you want help with you'll need to be specific by saying the type of phone and the app or process you're having difficulty getting to work easily. 

Many thanks RichCor for your comments and advice.

Unlocking my first Smart phone, has facial and fingerprint.  I tried fingerprint but it only recognized about 35% so was no use.    Ended up with Pattern.
Have had computer since the year dot and with the coming of laptops so cometh more activities and passwords and QRcodes etc.

Will read up on your idea about password vault programs.

I have been suggested to use the same password for all, even to use my current phone number.    QR codes I already have issues with when using LINE on laptop and Smart phone.

Prefer using laptop because of keyboard so LINE is just about okay on phone but, email too complicated and would take me forever.

Will persevere - may ask if anyone would like a Smart phone.

2 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

I have been suggested to use the same password for all, even to use my current phone number.

'Password' reuse and using current 'phone number' as a password are never a good idea. It's the first thing any newbie hackers try first. It's the equivalent of you leaving a spare key under the mat of everything you access -- those who know to look and try then too have access.

Using a password vault is a better alternative. It can be used to create and save your various elaborate and complex login credentials and other vital information, all the data stored within an encrypted file that can be easily backed up for redundant safety, yet easily accessible to you when you provide the singe vault password. Many password vaults can be set to auto-enter login credentials for you when visiting password-protected web sites. 

3 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

I tried fingerprint but it only recognized about 35% so was no use.    Ended up with Pattern.

When setting a fingerprint it's best, when training, to offer different angles and surfaces of the finger so the recording is more varied. Though I too mostly rely on a PIN or PATTERN to open the device.

• 1 month later...

HELP please

i syncronized win 10 / google with the phone,

its quite a bit of work but now they are interconnected,

i can use my phone nr instead of a password or login with google automatically.

the way phone nr works is that the company send a verification code to your phone, and you use that verification code to proceed, meaning only with the phone in your hand can you proceed.

i use a whatsapp program for the pc so i can type messages on the puter with a proper keyboard 

Edited by scammed

1 hour ago, scammed said:

i syncronized win 10 / google with the phone,

its quite a bit of work but now they are interconnected,

i can use my phone nr instead of a password or login with google automatically.

the way phone nr works is that the company send a verification code to your phone, and you use that verification code to proceed, meaning only with the phone in your hand can you proceed.

i use a whatsapp program for the pc so i can type messages on the puter with a proper keyboard 

Thanks scammed for your comments.
I use Win 7 from choice even with my current laptop aged 4 years.

I tried adding whatsapp to my laptop some years ago but it required pre-installing BlueStacks which took forever to download and I could never get it to work.

For Thailand I use LINE for UK whatsapp, have Skype for UK but haven't used it for a long time.
Have all 3 on laptop and phone.   Most of the time I reply to LINE and whatsapp using my laptop, like you having a decent size keyboard makes it so much easier.   The phone keyboard I keep hitting the wrong key and end up sending half a message.

With LINE connection on my laptop it lasts for 24 hours then I have to QR code it again - simple to do.
With whatsapp no problem.

Did read that you cannot send / receive photos / videos on a laptop when using whatsapp on both phone and laptop, managed to get around that.    It's easier to attach photos from a laptop file to whatsapp than trying to do it using phone only, although it can be done.

I have little real regular use for a "Smart" phone and don't intend to spend hours "searching" for the sake of it.    Yes, it can have its uses like DHL shipment details but that's once a year.    Still havent figured out how to use the cameras, over the years all my important photos in my life have disappeared so what I have left are stored on my laptop and backup drives. 

I tried finding out if there is a onetap emergency contact program where, if for example, you have a stroke and can reach your phone you hit a single icon and it it calls a contact number or 1669.   A bit like the pull cord in UK sheltered housing.   The only thing I can find, which looks a bit complicated to set up, is the "Emergency call" icon that comes up after you swipe the phone but in only seems to give contact numbers and medical history etc.     Having been in that situation once before ( I couldn't reach the phone anyway ) a simple touch icon that dials 1669 or a friends contact number would be great.    Do you know of any program like this that works on the phone ?

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks scammed for your comments.
I use Win 7 from choice even with my current laptop aged 4 years.

I tried adding whatsapp to my laptop some years ago but it required pre-installing BlueStacks which took forever to download and I could never get it to work.

For Thailand I use LINE for UK whatsapp, have Skype for UK but haven't used it for a long time.
Have all 3 on laptop and phone.   Most of the time I reply to LINE and whatsapp using my laptop, like you having a decent size keyboard makes it so much easier.   The phone keyboard I keep hitting the wrong key and end up sending half a message.

With LINE connection on my laptop it lasts for 24 hours then I have to QR code it again - simple to do.
With whatsapp no problem.

Did read that you cannot send / receive photos / videos on a laptop when using whatsapp on both phone and laptop, managed to get around that.    It's easier to attach photos from a laptop file to whatsapp than trying to do it using phone only, although it can be done.

I have little real regular use for a "Smart" phone and don't intend to spend hours "searching" for the sake of it.    Yes, it can have its uses like DHL shipment details but that's once a year.    Still havent figured out how to use the cameras, over the years all my important photos in my life have disappeared so what I have left are stored on my laptop and backup drives. 

I tried finding out if there is a onetap emergency contact program where, if for example, you have a stroke and can reach your phone you hit a single icon and it it calls a contact number or 1669.   A bit like the pull cord in UK sheltered housing.   The only thing I can find, which looks a bit complicated to set up, is the "Emergency call" icon that comes up after you swipe the phone but in only seems to give contact numbers and medical history etc.     Having been in that situation once before ( I couldn't reach the phone anyway ) a simple touch icon that dials 1669 or a friends contact number would be great.    Do you know of any program like this that works on the phone ?

im not interested in apps tbh, apart from my banking app that i all but have to have,

you should find what you want on either of these links, probably the 2nd link with setting up a shortcut button

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-emergency-apps-android-841589/

https://www.google.com/search?q=shortcut+calls+android&oq=shortcut+calls+android&aqs=chrome..69i57.7631j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8