The new normal roadside

marquis22

20 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Developing countries like Thailand have no instinctual concept of avoiding litter. There is no tradition of, "If you can pack it in, you can pack it out," or any sense of littering being actually wrong. I live near a vacant lot I pass by every day. One day I went over and picked up a bag full of rubbish and a lot of glass and plastics. Some cars park there, some only for a short time for a smoke and to dump all the rubbish they have in the car out the window. 

They don't give a hoot. 

This would take a generational change but no Thais are setting the example. There is a ma and pa shop down the way that looks worse than what pigs would live in. What can you do? You'd think teaching people not to foul their own living environment would be an easy lesson, but it has no effect. 

The source of the problem is the consumerism promoted by western countries.  Take your complaints up with them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dante99 said:

The source of the problem is the consumerism promoted by western countries.  Take your complaints up with them.

4 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Nonsense ! Either one is litter conscious or not, it comes from ones parents ????

With no consumerism there would be no trash or at least so little it would not be a problem.  100 years ago there was little consumerism thus very little packaging and unwanted obsolete or broken products to dispose of.  Take away the big companies with their governmental support, all their packaging, obsolete products, out of fashion stuff, ... the trash problem is gone.  Even 50 years ago, Bali just for example was almost without modern packaging, few plastic bags, very little use of canned or bottled products so very very little to dispose of.  So few containers, almost all reused.

5 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

With no consumerism there would be no trash or at least so little it would not be a problem.  100 years ago there was little consumerism thus very little packaging and unwanted obsolete or broken products to dispose of.  Take away the big companies with their governmental support, all their packaging, obsolete products, out of fashion stuff, ... the trash problem is gone.  Even 50 years ago, Bali just for example was almost without modern packaging, few plastic bags, very little use of canned or bottled products so very very little to dispose of.  So few containers, almost all reused.

you can't turn back the clock. trying to limit consumerism, as wealth increases, is like trying to stop the tides. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, anto said:

Plastic bags for everything including liquids does not help.At least these masks are made of cotton and will break down within 10 years .

So there will be piles of rubbish (old face masks) alongside the roads for the next 10 years _ Amazing Trusted Thailand!!!!

4 hours ago, anto said:

Plastic bags for everything including liquids does not help.At least these masks are made of cotton and will break down within 10 years .

So there will be piles of rubbish (old face masks) alongside the roads for the next 10 years _ Amazing Trusted Thailand!!!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Seems like there is rubish in your head as well , how the @#$% can you blame this on western consumerism ??? The problem is in upbringing , teach your children to throw their rubbish in the bin and they will do it the rest of their lives it's called common sence . As i said in earlier comments , there are a lot of people without jobs at the moment so why doesn't the government give them a job cleaning up the country and do it well . Not in the way with the dumb video's wherein our big friend prayut is painting a roadside gate for 1 min and then doing nothing about the real problems . It's not that difficult to give people a government job cleaning up their own once beautifull country that is degrading . And in stead of high speed trains or submarines built some proper waste incineration plants . 

Did you not look at the photo I posted erlier?  England - a beauty spot full of rubbish from day trippers.  Or is tha also not the fault of the West, and still, somehow, Thailand's fault?  People are the problem.  Same the World over.  Stop bashing the Thais <deleted>.

PH

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

In my experience here Thais have no conscience, perhaps consciousness, about littering. As another commented, the house gets swept many times daily, here the sweepings are straight out the back door. Empties of this that and the other are left where last put down or simply thrown out the backdoor. As if a litter fairy will come and put it all in the bin. Outside terraces and foecourt are rigourously swept daily but the land is littered with empty bottles , packaging and plastic bags. Again the litter fairy has to get to work. It's not as if we don't have bins inside and out, it's not that there is no weekly rubbish collection either. This behaviour is repeated throughout the village. 

Cannot agree with you more. Do you live in my village?   PML

Litter is ubiquitous. Stop bashing the Thais and look to yourselves and the countries from which you come.t

Would it be better if there was a working recycling policy, a bin collection service? Probably not, as we have seen in other countries, some people don't care.

And if someone mentions Singapore, yes, in the main areas of is clean and people are better at litter disposal, but in the less touristy areas, have a closer look.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

A filthy country reflects its people. They just don't care, sad.

nonsense. a tiny minority of people behave like this in any given country (with the possible exception of places like singapore), it is not a reflection of any population as a whole but on the ignorance, selfishness and stupidity of the few.

• Confused 1

Thais just don't know any better. They were never taught and the government has no practices in place to teach them. It's not like in the states where there are no littering signs and fines posted everywhere. I don't blame them they were never taught to not litter and don't know any better. 

Using my village as an example, the worst part of it is when the bins overflow with black bags and whatnot, the soi dogs can easily tear apart the bags dumped on the floor around the bins. then a little bit of wind and you have a whole mess stretched over many metres of roadside.

Simply disgusting, and you can't expect the rubbish collection guys to individually pick all that up.

Their job is to empty bins.

What I don't get is how supposedly poor village people with hardly any money can generate so much rubbish on a regular ( weekly ) basis.

My wife and I one 24 x 30 black bag maybe a week or more to fill it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Even 50 years ago, Bali just for example was almost without modern packaging, few plastic bags, very little use of canned or bottled products so very very little to dispose of.  So few containers, almost all reused.

I call BS... As a teenager 50 years ago I vividly remember dad driving down the highway and we would roll down the windows and toss out all the trash which included fast food wrappers and emptying the ashtray.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Those “Thai litter bugs” are also dumping their rubbish in Sydney. 

Today’s Sydney Daily Telegraph...

Perhaps I can't see it but do show me where it states that the dumping was caused by Thais. I'm thinking more like local Aussies.