Recommended VPN

Alphim

Good morning,

If possible can anybody please recommend a reliable VPN for use in Thailand?

I want to pick a TV sports program from South Africa and have been told I need to use VPN.

I have never used a VPN before so haven't a clue how it works, how to set one up, or even where to get one from.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Unless it is a free to air channel a vpn will not enable to watch it.

A VPN isn't something magic that bypasses a subscription.

I don't think there are many VPN services that have a SA server either

• Thanks 1

I am pleased with Hola (Free), it allow me to watch programs of the Flemish television which are normally only viewable in Belgium and some also when in an European country.

In fact Alphim a VPN tell, you are somewhere, when in fact you are not really.

So in my case, it tells I am in Belgium while I am in reality in Thailand.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, i84teen said:

What channel(s) u want to view? I will check the channel to see if it works from TH with and without a vpn.

Thank you, Looking to watch Multichoice DSTV sports channels 

5 minutes ago, Alphim said:

Many thanks for all your replies and advice, Express VPN seems to be the one although.

I believe it costs about US$60 p/year, is so I would think well worth it.

Cheers

my Express VPN renewal in March was $38 for the year. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ignis said:

Never use one and watch a lot of TV from all over the place.... so try 1st without.... 

Also Opera Browser has a built in VPN

Ive  found the free  ones painfully  slow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alphim said:

Thank you, Looking to watch Multichoice DSTV sports channels 

Oh, ok, well I have 192 ZA channels in my lineup, tons of Supersports channels but don't have this Multichoice DSTV and cannot find it on google. I did check the VPN speeds from bkk to South Africa and is reasonable using IKEv2 and OpenVPN (about 120Mbps).

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

my Express VPN renewal in March was $38 for the year. 

$38 for 12 months....why so cheap like that? Have a link for that, I'll sign up now! That's awesome if its available.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, i84teen said:

$38 for 12 months....why so cheap like that? Have a link for that, I'll sign up now! That's awesome if its available.

How about free..............FireFox has VPN for free......works fine, but why bother when your in Thailand----I use it in other countries, but never bother to use here.

18 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

How about free..............FireFox has VPN for free......works fine, but why bother when your in Thailand----I use it in other countries, but never bother to use here.

free vpn = RISK, huge amount of risk. Not worth it. I would rather trust my ISP with my data than some hacker in his mother's basement.

Nothing is every really "free".

53 minutes ago, i84teen said:

free vpn = RISK, huge amount of risk. Not worth it. I would rather trust my ISP with my data than some hacker in his mother's basement.

Nothing is every really "free".

This FireFox -- Mozilla , last years figures--over 300 million users, not some basement set up. You would rather trust your internet provider service (ISP) Who is that.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90174010/bye-chrome-why-im-switching-to-firefox-and-you-should-too

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

This FireFox -- Mozilla , last years figures--over 300 million users, not some basement set up. You would rather trust your internet provider service (ISP) Who is that.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90174010/bye-chrome-why-im-switching-to-firefox-and-you-should-too

Its like the vpn is included in the browser itself?

I made use of this guide when setting up firefox.

https://www.privacytools.io/browsers/#about_config

Edited by i84teen

On 6/7/2020 at 9:35 PM, ignis said:

Never use one and watch a lot of TV from all over the place.... so try 1st without.... 

Also Opera Browser has a built in VPN

Can you watch live British tv with an Opera VPN?

Express VPN

fantastic customer service. very easy to set up. not expensive. Had twice a small problem since sign on; their customer service is fantastic, they send you immediately step by step instructions of how to solve your problem. There are many VPN's out there, but I really like express VPN for reliable connection and great customer service

thaisabai

• Like 1

Most VPNs should be ok.  If you intend to pay a subscription in SA, some subscription TV companies use technology that makes it impossible even with a VPN (they actively work to prevent it).   

Most VPNs seem to have a honeymoon rate for the first year, and frequent sales thereafter.  Mine just added 5 years for US$99.