No farangs allowed on buses?

Aspaltso

I went to the bus station here in Petchabun this last week to check on what routes they had available, and the woman told me flat out in English: "farangs aren't allowed on buses right now", and it was a law enacted at the highest levels. What's the story here? Is it true farangs aren't allowed to ride buses around Thailand during this covid situation?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DaLa said:

With my experience of buses here, she's doing you a favour.

I've ridden plenty of buses in Thailand. It's just an issue of cost at this point. I'm low on cash as I haven't worked in 4 months, and trying to penny pinch every step of the way.

• Like 1

i found out yesterday when i tried to book a ticket to BKK from Prakhonchai, the single decker bus, was refused, just shown a message on phone, no foreigners allowed, walked next door and booked a ticket on the double decker bus, no problems. the other companies loss.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nursebob said:

i found out yesterday when i tried to book a ticket to BKK from Prakhonchai, the single decker bus, was refused, just shown a message on phone, no foreigners allowed, walked next door and booked a ticket on the double decker bus, no problems. the other companies loss.

Ok very interesting. It also makes sense that potentially some companies are telling their employees to refuse foreigners. Since there was only 1 company ticket booth open I couldn't go ask around.

1 hour ago, Aspaltso said:

I went to the bus station here in Petchabun this last week to check on what routes they had available, and the woman told me flat out in English: "farangs aren't allowed on buses right now", and it was a law enacted at the highest levels.

10 minutes ago, Aspaltso said:

she tried to make it sound as if it were law.

"...the woman told me flat out [...] it was a law enacted at the highest levels*".

"...she tried to make it sound as if it were law".

Make up your mind, which one of the two different claims did she say, in her unusually good English*?

Not saying it is a good thing.

But, understandable I think.

Many Thais believe Falang are Covid carriers.  The cesspool of infected western countries is well known.  For the time being, many Thais probably want to avoid Falang. I guess a person can fight and argue, but could probably make things worse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Not saying it is a good thing.

But, understandable I think.

Many Thais believe Falang are Covid carriers.  The cesspool of infected western countries is well known.  For the time being, many Thais probably want to avoid Falang. I guess a person can fight and argue, but could probably make things worse.

Well it sums up the stupidity and ignorance if any believe that, The borders have been locked for 2 months. More likely to catch a virus from a Thai returning than a foreigner! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Other countries seem to be able to put the blame where it belongs,China. But ignorance abounds about Covid 19 here. I may be off base here but I seem to recall the first case in Thailand was a taxi driver in Bangkok who was infected by a Chinese tourist fare. Please enlighten me if I’m wrong.I have been wrong before but I can’t remember when.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Silent Number said:

Other countries seem to be able to put the blame where it belongs,China. But ignorance abounds about Covid 19 here. I may be off base here but I seem to recall the first case in Thailand was a taxi driver in Bangkok who was infected by a Chinese tourist fare. Please enlighten me if I’m wrong.I have been wrong before but I can’t remember when.

I should clarify. The first Thai there was Chinese tourists detected before mostly from Wuhan but the driver was the first local.

4 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

Of course its not the law!  You have been in Thailand since the lockdown. Its just a racist bus company employee

It's maybe a bit weird and probably just a misunderstanding ????. Racist would have been if she told you that you have to free your seat to a Thai person, everytime there were no other free seats available in the same bus. 

I went down there again this evening, and it seems as though it may only apply to the company I was enquiring to. It was suggested I come back tomorrow, and ask the other bus companies who weren't open this evening whether or not I can purchase a ticket. Will keep things updated.

4 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Were you clean and presentable? 

So many farlangs , aka dirty farlangs ,

as per, Thai Government's press release , are not allowed on buses .

May i humbly suggest , we travel on tuk tuks ,  sadly a tad more expensive ...

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Ignorance and racism.... we must be in Amazing Trusted World Class Thailand..... where a filthy farang cannot even buy a bus ticket. I blame the British, who should have colonized em long ago.

But what if it had been the French.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused about your status and why you were short of money, in the first place. It sounds like you were attempting to get a third class ticket. because these buses are frequently over-packed they undoubtedly don't appreciate inquiry. Maybe they are afraid you'll complain.

If you lost your job as an English teacher you could always do some private lessons to keep afloat. If your good many parents will ask. I get asked frequently but have to tell them my visa status wont allow it. 

• Haha 1