No farangs allowed on buses?

Aspaltso

20 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

I'm a little confused about your status and why you were short of money, in the first place. It sounds like you were attempting to get a third class ticket. because these buses are frequently over-packed they undoubtedly don't appreciate inquiry. Maybe they are afraid you'll complain.

If you lost your job as an English teacher you could always do some private lessons to keep afloat. If your good many parents will ask. I get asked frequently but have to tell them my visa status wont allow it. 

I have enough money to take a flight to Bangkok, however I've always been one to penny pinch it's just how I was raised. As far as teaching lessons to make ends meet; that's a very good idea, and am in the midst of finding students now. I'm just going to hang out here in Petchabun, and won't be taking the bus to Bangkok.

• Sad 1

Richard Barrows just posted on this.

The "no farangs" policy apparently applies to busses operated by the Transport Company. 

Unfortunately, this is the state enterprise, and the only one that goes to many out of the way places. So if you are lucky enough to be going somewhere with private concessionaires, you can still go by bus with one of the private companies.  But if you want to go to many places in Thailand that are only served by the government busses, you are quite simply SOL.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, baansgr said:

"Farang Lives Matter".....we gotta travel too

Im telling you, this could be the reality one day! We know how quick this can change by the right moment and the right happenings in the world, so be prepered. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Monomial said:

Richard Barrows just posted on this.

The "no farangs" policy apparently applies to busses operated by the Transport Company. 

Unfortunately, this is the state enterprise, and the only one that goes to many out of the way places. So if you are lucky enough to be going somewhere with private concessionaires, you can still go by bus with one of the private companies.  But if you want to go to many places in Thailand that are only served by the government busses, you are quite simply SOL.

Some state enterprises are actually subsidized by the government. It would not make sense to extend this to foreign guest who want to travel on the cheap. No use making an effort to complain. Maybe he should be nominated for a cheap charlie award.

On 6/7/2020 at 8:40 PM, Aspaltso said:

I went down there again this evening, and it seems as though it may only apply to the company I was enquiring to. It was suggested I come back tomorrow, and ask the other bus companies who weren't open this evening whether or not I can purchase a ticket. Will keep things updated.

Please do name and shame the company if this is the case.

To save anyone else here the inconvenience.

14 minutes ago, innosiem said:

Please do name and shame the company if this is the case.

To save anyone else here the inconvenience.

The bus company is the government owned Transport Company. It was stated a few weeks back on their website that foreigners cant ride on their buses during the emergency decree. Theirs plenty of bus company's in Thailand that will take a falangs money, just not that one.

• Like 2

Shower with soap, brush your rotten teeth, put on deodorant, wear clean clothes, get a decent haircut, get rid of the cigarettes, toss the beer, stop being a loud obnoxious jerk and possibly lose 50 kilos off that body. That should do it. If you are rejected after that, it must be that they are rejecting farangs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

Shower with soap, brush your rotten teeth, put on deodorant, wear clean clothes, get a decent haircut, get rid of the cigarettes, toss the beer, stop being a loud obnoxious jerk and possibly lose 50 kilos off that body. That should do it. If you are rejected after that, it must be that they are rejecting farangs.

Do I have to take off my wife beater shirt?

3 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Some state enterprises are actually subsidized by the government. It would not make sense to extend this to foreign guest who want to travel on the cheap. No use making an effort to complain. Maybe he should be nominated for a cheap charlie award.

There's no shame in receiving a cheap Charlie award in this day in age. All of the extragancies I've enjoyed will need to be mitigated, and it'll be the same for everyone else.

3 minutes ago, Aspaltso said:

There's no shame in receiving a cheap Charlie award in this day in age. All of the extragancies I've enjoyed will need to be mitigated, and it'll be the same for everyone else.

That's Ok but you need to pay for yourself and don't expect other people or the government to bail you out. Expecting to ride on government subsidized transportation is an example. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Expecting to ride on government subsidized transportation is an example

Please don't confuse sheer discrimination with other matters. If it was "precedence to the Thais" I would understand, but "Thais only" is unacceptable and unforgivable. First: are you sure it is subsidized? Just because it belongs to the government, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is subsidized. And even if it was subsidized, they could apply the dual pricing policy they love so much anyway. Second: what if there isn't any other public transport mean available at hand? Hitchhike back home?

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 11:18 AM, checkered flag said:

That's Ok but you need to pay for yourself and don't expect other people or the government to bail you out. Expecting to ride on government subsidized transportation is an example. 

That's a stretch. Extrapolating all of your statement to mean that somehow I'm expecting certain things. C'mon!!