Honda PCX tyres

The bike is almost 3 years old and it's tyre time.

I've never been 100% happy with the stock tyres, so not going Honda again, need recommendations.  Basically, I want good grip and shock absorption, long life is less important.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

1 minute ago, DefaultName said:

Just getting to the age when I stop trusting them, I know they're built for this climate, but they must still degrade.

Tyres are cheap, accidents aren't.

i bought new stock IRC tyres for the same reason, they were perfectly fine. I just wondered why you didn't like them

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DefaultName said:

Just getting to the age when I stop trusting them, I know they're built for this climate, but they must still degrade.

Tyres are cheap, accidents aren't.

Is it you who's 'getting to the age' or is it the tyres?

If it's you, I suggest you stop riding, but if it's the tyres, then just get down to Honda and replace them and you'll notice an immediate improvement in the ride. The reason that you've stopped trusting them is simply because they are old and worn.

There's nothing wrong with the stock tyres. IMO Honda know best, that's why they fit them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I bought a brand new Yamaha Aerox, and was never happy with the tyres which were on it - the bike had an uncertain feel when cornering and handled poorly on both gravel roads and wet bitumen roads.  After only 4,000 km, I switched to a set of Pirelli tyres for close to 5,000 Baht, and suddenly the handling, the braking and the cornering are all more responsive and I feel far safer as an outcome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tires = always controversial topic. ????

No one said there's something wrong with the stock IRC, they're actually pretty decent. They're designed for commuting since they will last longer than softer compound tires, which is what our cheap scooters are made for anyway right? 

Tires are an often overlooked contributor to performance, but they have a big impact. Tires are your motorcycle's only point of contact with the road, and they influence how much control you have while riding, how quickly you can stop, how accurately you can take turns, and even how quiet and smooth your ride is ( Road Feel ). 

The rubber on tires can be softer or harder. Softer tires are going to grip the road better, which will provide more traction and improve braking. However, softer tires will also wear down faster and are more vulnerable to road hazards such as potholes and gravel. 

Harder tires may not offer as much traction, but they do stand up better under tough driving conditions, whether that’s driving at top speeds or driving through rough terrain. 

Since people will have diff opinion regarding this, I say try it for your self. Try a diff brand just once,only then you can make your own conclusion.

Edited by alx123
copy pasted

Good grip and shock absorption? I noticed a huge difference going from a GSX-R750 to a PCX.

I noticed virtually no difference changing tyres on the PCX - the engine's still on the back wheel, and small wheels always suffer more from bumps in the road.

Grip has never been an issue - except when there's dirt underfoot, when the tyres can't do their job whatever is installed.

Price is more of an issue really, stock tyres are not only fine, but they're dirt cheap and you can find them easily...

Depends on where you are and what's around TBH but it's not worth getting stressed about if you are a decent, experienced and adaptable rider.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Do tyres really make a difference on a scooter, pottering around town at 60kph? I can understand it if you have a powerful bike and/or are touring. A few years back i changed my stock tyres on a Yamaha Neovo 135 and basically i didn't notice any difference around town. I can't imagine that Honda/Yamaha would put defective/dangerous tyres on their new bikes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Do tyres really make a difference on a scooter, pottering around town at 60kph? I can understand it if you have a powerful bike and/or are touring. A few years back i changed my stock tyres on a Yamaha Neovo 135 and basically i didn't notice any difference around town. I can't imagine that Honda/Yamaha would put defective/dangerous tyres on their new bikes.

Think your words "defective & dangerous" is over the top regarding the topic... 

10 hours ago, alx123 said:

Tires = always controversial topic. ????

No one said there's something wrong with the stock IRC, they're actually pretty decent. They're designed for commuting since they will last longer than softer compound tires, which is what our cheap scooters are made for anyway right? 

Tires are an often overlooked contributor to performance, but they have a big impact. Tires are your motorcycle's only point of contact with the road, and they influence how much control you have while riding, how quickly you can stop, how accurately you can take turns, and even how quiet and smooth your ride is ( Road Feel ). 

The rubber on tires can be softer or harder. Softer tires are going to grip the road better, which will provide more traction and improve braking. However, softer tires will also wear down faster and are more vulnerable to road hazards such as potholes and gravel. 

Harder tires may not offer as much traction, but they do stand up better under tough driving conditions, whether that’s driving at top speeds or driving through rough terrain. 

Since people will have diff opinion regarding this, I say try it for your self. Try a diff brand just once,only then you can make your own conclusion.

Yes, thanks.

I'm definitely in the "potter about town" category, longest trip in 3 years has been about 16km from Pattaya to the Land Transport Office.

Tyres at 3 years old I want to change, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Happy to sacrifice durability for better grip.

Sounds like Michelin then. 

Thanks all.

Today when riding east on Country Club Rd

noticed a scooter ahead go down for no apparent reason.

Then noticed the road was wet in the centre.

Further ahead another bike with 2 down.

Injuries.

Water, oil,  dunno.

Michelin tyres make a difference,

maybe,

dunno.

5 minutes ago, papa al said:

Today when riding east on Country Club Rd

noticed a scooter ahead go down for no apparent reason.

Then noticed the road was wet in the centre.

Further ahead another bike with 2 down.

Injuries.

Water, oil,  dunno.

Michelin tyres make a difference,

maybe,

dunno.

This risk is why I'm upgrading.  ????

• 7 months later...
10 minutes ago, tomkenet said:

Would not recommend michelin pilot street. Hard and slippery surface after less than 2 years. Will switch to irc s99t which i believe is an upgrade from the standard irc tire.

I'm on my second lot of IRCs on my Click and they've done the job well, I'll buy again when I need to

• 7 months later...
On 6/7/2020 at 8:16 PM, alx123 said:

I used my stock tire for 2 years before changing to Michellins. The difference is night and day. 

Michellin Pilotstreet

Michellin Citygrip

Pirelli Diablo

they're all good tires

You chose

What is the best for scooters for use in the city and wet weather or is it a case of whichever one fits your bike as they are all about the same?

On 6/7/2020 at 8:00 PM, mikemi said:

I had a honda 125, stock tyres were junk, swapped for michelin city grips

better feel, better ride, more comfy, better grip, night and day

I have ND Rubber City same tread pattern as Michelin City Grip. That is what my local motorbike shop had. Honda ZoomerX for urban use. OK so far.

Edited by VocalNeal

4 hours ago, stament said:

What is the best for scooters for use in the city and wet weather or is it a case of whichever one fits your bike as they are all about the same?

There are of course differences in the thread pattern, and in the hardness of the rubber.

The Michelin tires recommended above should be good, but Michelin might not be so easy to find.

A good alternative is the Pirelli Angel Scooter (or Angel City if it's for a Honda Wave or a little bit bigger bike), in my experience a good tire, and usually not difficult to find, many shops have Pirelli.

If you go for the cheap brands the rubber is usually quite hard, this is good for longevity, but not so good for the grip.

I've had Maxxis on a scooter before, was generally ok, but grip in the wet could have been better. So now I tend to spend a little bit more on the tires and get the better grip.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stament said:

The new Pirelli Angel Scooter tire I think has sizes for most scooters and I heard nothing but good reviews about them .

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 9:11 AM, Henryford said:

"I can't imagine that Honda/Yamaha would put defective/dangerous tyres on their new bikes."

They might not but what about the agents? I bought a new Wave125 when I first came to Thailand from the local dealer, and for about the first year I had about 15 flats back and front.

I then changed to Micheline and the flats stopped. I kept the bike for 7 years. The next bike I bought was a Fino and I got Micheline I think before I took the bike away.

1 hour ago, seedy said:

OEM tires are not premium quality.

If you want the best traction wet and dry, along with the best handling, install premium tires.

Use Pirelli on all my bikes, from PCX to HD

Presumably you're racing? I've not noticed any lack of performance on my Click stock IRCs.

iMoto were trying to sell me the Pirelli Rosso Sport, I don't need them but they no have IRCs, only Duro

• Confused 1