Buriram Water Pipe Damaged - No Water????

MJ Patts

Hey folks, I have been informed that Buriram city has had a major water pipe damage and residents have been without municipal water for 2 - 3 days now.... 

Can anyone shed any further light on this please.

Pretty desperate to say the least. Water shortage is one thing but having NO water at all is another.

I wonder if there has been a water station set up anywhere in the city that will allow people affected to come and fill water containers so they can wash themselves etc...

Any news at all would be grateful, Thanks

The OP is correct to be alarmed about water in many parts of Buriram. Not just the "city", but some villages. It is no wonder many expats help fund 4", 5" or 6" wells, plastic water storage tanks and a 2nd water pump to a home. Even where I have homes with "Government" water, I have 2000 liter tanks to store "government water", then a 2nd pump to obtain proper water pressure inside a home. Some days, if pipe repairs are being done, the water can turn a terrible brown and make me appreciate water filters. I have seen PWA tanker trucks but I did not pay attention to how they distributed the water. 

• Like 1

Normal here not Burirlam, that is why initially i got a 1,000 Lt tank and made it just high enough to gravity feed the shower and toilet, only about 3 mt high, toilet was my main concern, shower not much pressure, a bit like camping. I Also always keep a bin full of water. Now i have 3,000 Lt, + pump. if that ran dry, call the water truck under 600 baht for 5,000 Lt and charged accordingly. We only have one guy who is allowed to repair the 'town' water most problem's are becoz of what he has done before. Useless twit.  

Most anyone can get a "larger water meter" from the PWA in Buriram, IF the PWA pipe is large enough going past the home. I spent the minor money to get a 25mm water meter for a home North of the Buriram airport. It has been my experienece in Buriram province to have one or two water storage tanks of clean water for the home as in fact water supply does dry up at times. Buriram has a real shortage of water for several reasons.  Water is being pumped from near Lamplimat this week to parts of Buriram. If the main reservoir is near bone dry that does not bode well for Buriram water pressure. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The water shortage is critical in June 2020 in Buriram province. Many village water supplies have run out of water in the reservoirs. Many neighborhoods in Buriram have been without water for days on end. Other neighborhoods in Buriram have water a few minutes each evening. I have never seen so many water tanks being delivered in Buriram since I moved here in 2006. These photos show one truck of DOS brand water tanks including water tanks with PPR pipe inside the 1000 liter tank and 2000 liter water storage tanks. The other photo this week is of both Blue and sandstone WAVE brand water tanks have been delivered in Buriram in double semi truck trailers. The number of wells being drilled last week in Buriram must have set a record. I hope other provinces in Isaan have better water supplies than I see in Buriram. 

DOS WAVE SAFE water storage tank Buriram Thailand June 23.jpg

Buriram Thailand DOS water tanks PPR pipe inside Delivery.jpg

• Like 1

a family i visited in buriram last week has had water issues.  they live in a mooban within the city of buriram.  water has been turned on twice in two weeks and only for about 3 hrs each time.  not a good situation.

• Thanks 2

Shimbo is in BR this week and tells me the same story about a damaged pipe and the water levels being very low in the reservoir.

Luckily we put in a deep well about 22 years ago, but this has not been possible for many years now, as the authority knows the ground water levels are very low. You need special permission for a well in BR now.

We have 4 tanks in BR, but normally only use the well water for watering the plants and the government water for home use.

Situation in Pattaya house is much worse as we frequently have no water and have to call the tank truck. The  main problem is that our main tank is elevated so we use one pump to fill the tank and one fed from the tank to provide pressurised water upstairs and downstairs into the home. But with the low water levels there is insufficient water pressure to properly operate the input pump so it keeps running and overheats and I had to I put in another smaller tank at ground level last week to provide a bit of a head to feed the input pump. This also enabled me to put in a float switch to turn off the input pump when the lower tank is getting empty.

Its terrible when we have to use the tanker truck as the water is absolutory filthy and sometimes smells really awful. I think he fills it from the drains! 

With all the new condos in Pattaya, somebody must be shelling out to keep their swimming pools filled up.

• Thanks 1

Worth getting a couple of plastic drums and keeping them filled with water for when shortages occur.

So long as the lid is kept on the water is ok for washing with. I wouldnt drink it though.

If you get black drums and move them into the sun its amazing how quickly the water will heat up so your "shower with a bucket" feels nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone supply valid and current information from the city or the district on how Buriram intends to resolve this issue? 

This is the worst I have seen the perennial lack of tap water in Buriram, and my 2000 litre tank is almost dry again, and that after three loads of 1000 liters from various tank fillers that are scurrying about town, making a year's salary in a short period.  The supplied water is, rightly, starting to be dirty and smelly, and cannot possibly be healthy for anyone or any animal until boiled.

But I have heard nothing from the city, nothing from the district, nor anything from the local pooyai.

I am told that Buriram PWA is drilling several large deep wells to pump water into the municipal reservoirs. I am told that existing water pipes are being repaired. I am told that water is being sent on a new pipe from Lamplaimat to Buriram. I have heard nothing but valid complaints about the water supplied from a tanker truck in Buriram. The cost and quality of that tanker water is out of whack. I see major businesses, small resorts, apartment buildings, service businesses all buying water tanks and often new water pumps. Today a major delivery was sent from a Buriram Builders Merchant store to a hotel in Buriram. You can only imagine the wells being dug and huge water tanks installed for the shopping centers in Buriram. Look at the water tanks near the parking lot of the Buriram Castle shopping center. 

Buriram DOS water tank delivery from Ruangsangthai Builders merchants Store July 2020.jpg

• Thanks 1