Video: Father and son killed, 5 seriously injured as Pajero slams into vehicles at red light in Nakhon Sawan

webfact

Video: Father and son killed, 5 seriously injured as Pajero slams into vehicles at red light in Nakhon Sawan

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Shocking dash cam footage showed the moment when a Mitsubishi Pajero containing two well known local businessmen piled through traffic waiting at a crossroads on Route 1 in Nakhon Sawan on Saturday evening. 

Thaworn, 44, behind the wheel of the Pajero and his father Damrong, 65, were killed instantly.

Relatives said they had been on their way home from the family's furniture factory in Nong Pling. 

The accident happened at the Fort Jiraprawat intersection. Soldiers from the fort joined with rescue services in aiding the many injured. 

Two women aged 38 and 59 along with boys aged 10 and eight -  in a stationary Toyota - along with a 71 year old male passenger in a Ford were all rushed to local hospitals with serious injuries. 

A six wheel truck, three cars and a motorcycle were all damaged in the carnage. 

Others related lucky escapes and police reported a long line of oil on the road believed to have come from a leak in the Pajero, reported Sanook.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-08

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

police reported a long line of oil on the road believed to have come from a leak in the Pajero

Brake fluid, no brakes.

I saw the video on TV. Looks like they were trying to avoid all the cars, then went around them into the side lane. Then there was nowhere else to go once they got to the intersection.

Poor maintenance, or something more nefarious.

• Like 2

Those traffic lights on highway 1 can really catch a person out (obviously). I drove up near Khon Kaen a few years ago (route 2) and blew through one, not seeing it until too late, but this man most likely makes that trip at least a couple of times a year. He should have been more aware. Just a conversation with 'Dad' or Tirak is distracted driving, which is a killer.

RIP to all who perished and I hope for quick and full recovery to those injured. 

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Others related lucky escapes and police reported a long line of oil on the road believed to have come from a leak in the Pajero,

Not so sure that was an oil slick !!

18 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

was there any CCTV footage that could share some more light on where this vehicle came from?   It seems like the guy is coming from some side street on a steep hill.  

How was the offending car able to pick up such speed before the crash?

Possibly because they were running the lights which turned to red when he was going too fast.

It happened to me at a different set of lights several years ago when I was on my motorbike. Different junction though.

22 hours ago, smedly said:

high speed madness coupled with mobile phone use 

idiots

For example....

I'll never forgot, it happens to me many years ago, I was waiting in my car in a traffic jam in front of an open bridge, I saw in my rearview mirror an Audi approach with high speed, two man spoke to each other, and did not pay attention to the traffic on the road. My car was total loss, I myself could get out without injuries.

The car in front of me has a policemen as driver, I was lucky about that, because he confirm it was not my fault.

On 6/8/2020 at 7:01 PM, Pilotman said:

Because it was driven by a Thai that's why,  no more explanation is needed.  Most of them are as mad as a box of frogs. You see insane driving ever single day on these roads.   

Yes, indeed every time you go out driving and if unscathed when you come home that is a bonus. But also everyday waking up a brand new day.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 6:23 PM, 4evermaat said:

was there any CCTV footage that could share some more light on where this vehicle came from?   It seems like the guy is coming from some side street on a steep hill.  

How was the offending car able to pick up such speed before the crash?

Although the offending vehicle was out of view when it ploughed into the stationary vehicles he would have been in the the right hand fast lane, there’s no hill, obviously not paying attention to the traffic signals and other waiting cars. 

I know that stretch of road well

3 hours ago, twizzian said:

Although the offending vehicle was out of view when it ploughed into the stationary vehicles he would have been in the the right hand fast lane, there’s no hill, obviously not paying attention to the traffic signals and other waiting cars. 

I know that stretch of road well

There's got to be more going on, judging by the 100 meter long track of oil on the road leading up to the collision, pretty much the full width of the Pajero.

From the linked Sanook article:

s__84369520_1591499122.jpg