Domestic tourism set to explode as govt’s discount packages primed

webfact

15 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Can you register for a 3000 Baht discount and then sell it for 1500 Baht to the hotel? How they gonna check out if somebody really stayed in that hotel once the hotel tries to cash out that check? There is a lot of money to be made!

If you are thinking like a criminal and making a scheme to commit fraud, I guess so.

• Like 1

My experience with local tourist is not good 2 bedroom villa for 4 guest, 10 people turn up with 2 dogs quiet clearly stating NO PETS ALLOWED, and had to clean the place 3 times after they left they had let the dogs pi$$ in the house.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The July holidays, if the replacement ones are approved, would lead to a quite long holiday period: 4-12 July. That would boost domestic tourism a bit?

We accept all that want to celebrate the great American Holiday on July 4th.  Fireworks and water fights should be fun.

• Like 1

They are really optimistic...

Here in Malaysia we are moving to "recovery movement control order" tomorrow. It did start with fake news here too but let's see. I don't think people are keen to travel to anywhere in masses as many have lost their income / savings.

MAH: Langkawi hotels getting 1,000 bookings in an hour is fake news (VIDEO)
https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2020/06/08/mah-langkawi-hotels-getting-1000-bookings-in-an-hour-is-fake-news-video/1873642

16 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

There are already a huge number of Thais traveling.

My Moo-Baan in Bangkok was virtually deserted over the weekend.

Never seen it so quiet - not even during Songkran (earlier years) or Western New Year.......

This is supposed to be quite season up here but locals are starting to complain about so much noise from the big bikes. The traffic in our street is almost the same as a weekend in high season.

It took me 5 and a half hours to get back to Bangkok from Korat on Sunday evening. The traffic was crazy, almost Songkranesque.

Obviously the stupid curfew doesn't help by making everyone travel at the same time. But notwithstanding that there was still a lot of domestic travel. The trouble is that Thais tend to visit and stay with friends and family when they travel (as I did) or they cram huge groups into a small villa/room and cook in the room with alcohol from 711 so it doesn't always result in a lot of additional money changing hands per capita. Better than nothing though.

• Like 1

This actually sounds like it will have a good affect will tourism explode I doubt it BUT it will be better than if they did nothing at all. The GF works in a hospital and I know that everyone there put in a lot of hours it is good to see the government is going to recognize them.  

We will definitely use this just need to find out more details.

Well, despite the optimistic first paragraph, it does go on to say that they will be talking about the schemes next week. So they are hardly likely to be imminently available. It seems this is another example of shooting off at the mouth about a scheme, when in fact no details are yet agreed.

• Like 1

Is there any money left in the population to ''suck"? 

I think people are travelling domestically but they are all cost conscious amidst all the covid shutdowns. In fact, the majority including myself is seeking to earn more money rather than spending more money.

Checking room rates in Pattaya for July and August makes you see, that there are basically 0 discounts on rates. Neither via booking.com / agoda nor through the hotels directly. Do they really believe in selling a single room with this policy to local tourists ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Set to explode is a flaming boil...if Thais are smart, they would save their dwindling $ and not travel...

so these food lines and the economy in the tank were just fake news?

sheer propaganda from the tourist industry....start with a survey please!

so you beleive they will travel because?.....

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

This actually sounds like it will have a good affect will tourism explode I doubt it BUT it will be better than if they did nothing at all. The GF works in a hospital and I know that everyone there put in a lot of hours it is good to see the government is going to recognize them.  

We will definitely use this just need to find out more details.

Details will be huh?