Felling of British slave trader statue heats up simmering debate

snoop1130

Just now, vogie said:

If the council replaces the statue how is this off topic, this is what the thread is all about. I know I can be somewhat hilarious but I cannot take all the credit you too can be quite titallating.????

They won't replace it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Well it wasn't me who loaded the slave ships so I cannot take responsibility. It would seem, however, that the chap in the harbour had a hand in it so I am happy to point the finger there. Who mentioned England? Obsessed much?

Obsessed much, oh the irony. ????????????????

• Like 1

Just now, tribalfusion001 said:

I know my history, I was taught it in school and I read about world history too. The UK was not an angel, but we cannot apologize for everything in the past.

Erm......

The history you were taught in school was the edited version. That's the point of widening your study material.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Mass, howling, rabid mob??

The protest in Bristol was pretty peaceful from what i gather. No buildings set afire, no shops looted, no violence towards police or property of any kind, correct me if i'm wrong...the protesters were pretty focused, pretty on point considering the context, racial inequality. 

Pulling statues down cannot ever be classed as peacefull, unless you live in Kabul of course.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I agree, Brits need to know that we only entered the slave trade after it was fully established and had been going on for 100's years before we got involved and it was us who outlawed slavery and put a stop to it .

Britain outlawed slavery

...slavery, you mean one group of people forcing another to work for nothing?

Prostitution or slavery, debatable which is older

Edited by BillStrangeOgre
  • Like 2

Just now, Bruno123 said:

Erm......

The history you were taught in school was the edited version. That's the point of widening your study material.

I know my British history from good to bad. We first built concentration camps in the 2nd Boer war, things like that. I also watch history programmes on YouTube, I have an informed opinion.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

His philanthropy has meant the Colston name permeates Bristol. Besides the statue, there is Colston’s, an independent school, named after him, along with a concert hall, Colston Hall, a high-rise office office block, Colston Tower, Colston Street and Colston Avenue.

Colston then began to develop a reputation as a philanthropist who donated to charitable causes such as schools and hospitals in Bristol and London. He briefly served as a Tory MP for Bristol before dying in Mortlake, Surrey, in 1721. He is buried in All Saints Church in Bristol

Thank you for all that information. 

Was Slave trading illegal or socially unacceptable  in 1721?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Erm......

Seriously, how can you honestly claim to know what he learnt in school history lessons ?

Was you there in school with him ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I know my history, I was taught it in school and I read about world history too. The UK was not an angel, but we cannot apologize for everything in the past.

I never mentioned apologizing, but if you do indeed know your history you might feel the urge.

Which is perhaps why you brought the subject up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, sirineou said:

So you need someone to pass a law before you understand something is morally wrong?

In other words, you don't do it only because of fear of punishment?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

Seriously, how can you honestly claim to know what he learnt in school history lessons ?

Was you there in school with him ?

I know the curriculum. He would have to be more than twenty years younger than me to be taught any differently.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I never mentioned apologizing, but if you do indeed know your history you might feel the urge.

Which is perhaps why you brought the subject up.

There is nothing to say sorry for imho, the past is the past, but I know some of our lame politicians will want to.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

On the off chance you haven’t noticed, this is 2020.

And the morality of slavery was being debated at the time of the Roman Empire, if not much earlier.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1