Phuket’s Wal Brown bestowed Order of Australia Medal

webfact

Phuket’s Wal Brown bestowed Order of Australia Medal

By The Phuket News

1591623793_1-org.jpg

Wal Brown OAM. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET: Long-term Phuket expat Wal brown has been bestowed the order of Australia national award for his service to the community.

Australian Ambassador to Thailand Allan McKinnon honoured the occasion with a special thank you in his video message to Australians in the Kingdom earlier today (June 8).

“I would like to start today’s video by honouring a special Australian. Wal Brown was awarded an Order of Australia Medal in the Queen’s Birthday honours list overnight for his services to the international community in Phuket,” Amb McKinnon said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-wal-brown-bestowed-order-of-australia-medal-76326.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-06-09

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

Wal Brown was awarded an Order of Australia Medal in the Queen’s Birthday honours list overnight for his services to the international community in Phuket,” Amb McKinnon said.

So, let me understand this. Australia gives a medal to a foreigner that left to live in another country, for his action to the international community in that country?????

Ok, nevermind. Very happy for him. Congratulations Wal!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

So, let me understand this. Australia gives a medal to a foreigner that left to live in another country, for his action to the international community in that country?????

Or maybe they had some medals left over and didn't know what to do with them so they come with the silly idea to award Aussies who as you say, live abroad and help others who are not Aussies...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This year the Australian awards were heavily weighted towards the conservative party former and current members and supporters.

They even awarded Tony Abbott, the largely accepted worse ever PM,  a Companion of the Order of Australia, the top award. He of course wanted a British knighthood from the system he resurrected so he could award some to his cronies and, controversially, one to Prince Phillip. 

He is now boasting that his 2013 nightmare budget attacking the poor, helped alleviate the pain of the current pandemic recession!

I haven't previously heard of this Phuket legend, but now read that he headed the police volunteers in Patong before they were disbanded a couple of years ago. The new Consul General seems to hold him in high regard.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Geez kids, he’s an Australian abroad doing good things...

Personally I’m glad that whilst he may be the only Australian someone might meet, they’ll remember him as someone who cared or helped, a good ambassador for Australia.

Imagine what people would think of Americans after meeting Trump...

Edited by HighPriority
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Wal was a police volunteer at the same time as me in Phuket, and I met and worked with him many times.  He worked very hard and was dedicated to his volunteer job.  He deserves this award.  Well done Wal!

Out of interest, was he a city police or tourist police volunteer (like me)? Over the years up North, we had Highway Police volunteers and Immigration Police volunteers but probably not these days.

39 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

A shame to read so many negative replies. Envy is a nasty thing.

I don't know the guy but someone clearly felt he deserved it- why not just enjoy some pleasant news.

Schtarker !! Dis is ThaiVisa !
Ve don’t do pleasant news here...

????

Sad isn’t it ?

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Matzzon said:

D

Edited by Seldomseen
Pressed wrong button meant make a comment not agree with matzoh

The comments  about the award given to wal brown yes he is an Aussie and yes he does live in Thailand 

His work with Tourist police has been invaluable to tourist in trouble 

tourist needing assistance he was available any time off the day 

for many many years 

justly deserved  congratulations wal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Seldomseen said:

The comments  about the award given to wal brown yes he is an Aussie and yes he does live in Thailand 

His work with Tourist police has been invaluable to tourist in trouble 

tourist needing assistance he was available any time off the day 

for many many years 

justly deserved  congratulations wal.

Nobody said it´s not well deserved. It´s just strange that Australia gives medals to people that moved abroad and doing work for another country.

It´s should have been Thailand giving him a medal, but we all know that will never happen.

There is also many people doing volunteer work in many countries, but they do not receive a medal for it.

• Like 1